Cowboys & OG Dalton Risner

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I keep seeing posts that signing OG Dalton Risner would guarantee a Super Bowl win and not signing him would doom the Cowboys to a winless season.

From a Broncos article:
He was the team's best offensive lineman in his rookie season and it seemed as if Denver had found a long-term answer at the guard spot.

Well, the last three years proved to not be the case. Since that stellar 2019 season, Risner has struggled mightily. He constantly got beat in pass protection and never seemed to be able to pick up a defensive stunt.

His shove of Brett Rypien on the sideline during the Broncos' Christmas Day game this past season was also a giant turn-off for many, and the team signing Ben Powers in free agency indicated that Risner was probably not returning.

But could there be a spot for him still along the offensive line? Possibly. I'm not saying that I endorse this as I think Risner isn't starting caliber material and I'm not so sure he's that loved in the locker room.

https://predominantlyorange.com/pos...-risner-could-still-start-denver-broncos-2023

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I keep seeing posts that signing OG Dalton Risner would guarantee a Super Bowl win and not signing him would doom the Cowboys to a winless season.

From a Broncos article:
He was the team's best offensive lineman in his rookie season and it seemed as if Denver had found a long-term answer at the guard spot.

Well, the last three years proved to not be the case. Since that stellar 2019 season, Risner has struggled mightily. He constantly got beat in pass protection and never seemed to be able to pick up a defensive stunt.

His shove of Brett Rypien on the sideline during the Broncos' Christmas Day game this past season was also a giant turn-off for many, and the team signing Ben Powers in free agency indicated that Risner was probably not returning.

But could there be a spot for him still along the offensive line? Possibly. I'm not saying that I endorse this as I think Risner isn't starting caliber material and I'm not so sure he's that loved in the locker room.

https://predominantlyorange.com/pos...-risner-could-still-start-denver-broncos-2023
Hes better than the scrubs we have.

phildadon86

Reaction score
And for the record, who wouldn't want to shove Brett Rypien?
Not even that. I am not going to judge the guy based on that one mistake. Look at the dumpster fire the Broncos were last season. If Dez did that here. He would be a hero and displaying "passion" lol.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Our lineup now is
Smith-smith-bidiaz-martin-steele right?

None of those guys are scrubs...problem is when tyron gets hurt the next guy up likely is....in a perfect state that lineup is pretty awesome but we all know the injury is coming
I don't know guy, I wouldn't walk up and be the one that blurted out you are little more than a cripple now. You?

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Not a huge fan of his but I feel it’s the best option for depth right now. Unless Tyler moves to guard, our interior OL is razor thin.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

From a Broncos article:

Anyone named Risen is not starter material! .....oh, my bad..it's Risner. Lol!

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Pretty minimal tape of the guy at G, but I would probably take Edoga over Risner at this point.

Jipper

Reaction score
I don't know guy, I wouldn't walk up and be the one that blurted out you are little more than a cripple now. You?
that's kinda what the cowboys did with their contract restructure....his money is now tied up in him staying healthy. Plus, i would use a different vernacular than what you stated....Tyron is smart, he knows he has a bad back and is more susceptible to injuries at this point.

CCBoy

Reaction score
that's kinda what the cowboys did with their contract restructure....his money is now tied up in him staying healthy. Plus, i would use a different vernacular than what you stated....Tyron is smart, he knows he has a bad back and is more susceptible to injuries at this point.
Smart move, but the Cowboys are rightfully gambling on a future Hall of Famer who is still able to handle an opponent.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

From a Broncos article:

Not sure Edoga isn't a better guard option than him. As a tackle, I would question the Edoga signing. As a guard, I think he has some potential and has shown well when given the opportunity. He could at least be on par with McGovern IMO. I'm hoping for better than that, but right now, the only better than that we've got would be moving Tyler to guard and starting Tyron at tackle. Maybe Richards moving to guard will prove to be a late-round find, but certainly not relying on that.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
Our lineup now is
Smith-smith-bidiaz-martin-steele right?

None of those guys are scrubs...problem is when tyron gets hurt the next guy up likely is....in a perfect state that lineup is pretty awesome but we all know the injury is coming
Waletzko fills in at rt to start the season unless Steele is healthy by then.

You can either slide Tyler Smith to lt when tyron gets hurt and let whoever shows more out of edoga, asim, farniok play lg.
Or
If waletzko shows anything during his fill in with Steele you can swap him over to lt and keep Tyler at LG.

I think udfa earl is a steal and makes the team.

Team seems higher on our mid round drafted depth players than anyone on these forums

davey999

Reaction score
They like their guys. We'll see in week 8 when Farniok and Edoga are starting.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Dallas continually goes to the green felt with dice in hand as seasons begin. Tyron is an example of them betting on the come, and have crapped out time and again.
This line will be the foundation for the success or failure of the team this season. Dallas is betting the gaggle of interior linemen for the offense will stand up and deliver.

I dislike being skeptical, but this is a show me time for me. Snake eyes have come up far too often for me the think Jerry and company are about to make their point.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smart move, but the Cowboys are rightfully gambling on a future Hall of Famer who is still able to handle an opponent.
Yeah....but, you know and understand the game.....many here don't!