Cowboys & OG Dalton Risner

cristglo

Reaction score
Im sure there are going to be some more players cut that hopefully, we will be keeping an eye on.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Our lineup now is
Smith-smith-bidiaz-martin-steele right?

None of those guys are scrubs...problem is when tyron gets hurt the next guy up likely is....in a perfect state that lineup is pretty awesome but we all know the injury is coming
Any of our guys could get hurt.

Most of them don’t wear braces.

As soon as they get rolled, the knee gets stretched.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I have no doubt there will be one more move to address OG before games start unless Richard’s or one of the other young guys grabs the job in camp. For now, they have plenty of option to look at and have time and cap space to wait for a much better one to be available. Have patience.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Not sure Edoga isn't a better guard option than him. As a tackle, I would question the Edoga signing. As a guard, I think he has some potential and has shown well when given the opportunity. He could at least be on par with McGovern IMO. I'm hoping for better than that, but right now, the only better than that we've got would be moving Tyler to guard and starting Tyron at tackle. Maybe Richards moving to guard will prove to be a late-round find, but certainly not relying on that.
Edoga is a fringe starter at guard. You aren't going to do better than him as depth.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I keep seeing posts that signing OG Dalton Risner would guarantee a Super Bowl win and not signing him would doom the Cowboys to a winless season.

From a Broncos article:
He was the team's best offensive lineman in his rookie season and it seemed as if Denver had found a long-term answer at the guard spot.

Well, the last three years proved to not be the case. Since that stellar 2019 season, Risner has struggled mightily. He constantly got beat in pass protection and never seemed to be able to pick up a defensive stunt.

His shove of Brett Rypien on the sideline during the Broncos' Christmas Day game this past season was also a giant turn-off for many, and the team signing Ben Powers in free agency indicated that Risner was probably not returning.

But could there be a spot for him still along the offensive line? Possibly. I'm not saying that I endorse this as I think Risner isn't starting caliber material and I'm not so sure he's that loved in the locker room.

https://predominantlyorange.com/pos...-risner-could-still-start-denver-broncos-2023
Wow !
Thanks for the info !

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Dallas continually goes to the green felt with dice in hand as seasons begin. Tyron is an example of them betting on the come, and have crapped out time and again.
This line will be the foundation for the success or failure of the team this season. Dallas is betting the gaggle of interior linemen for the offense will stand up and deliver.

I dislike being skeptical, but this is a show me time for me. Snake eyes have come up far too often for me the think Jerry and company are about to make their point.
Yep, they did this last year with the o line in the off season as well.
Just sign a free agent o lineman.
How hard can it be ?

Creeper

Reaction score
Down Memory Lane. Connor McGovern got hurt his rookie year. Was awful his 2nd year coming off injury. Looked weak his third year, then started his 4th year and was solid if not spectacular.

I think guys like Farniok and Waletzko will show similar improvements over the next couple of years, maybe sooner. Farniok played some last year and wasn't awful at LG. He is a better C, I think, than G but he could still develop into a player as good as if not better than Connor McGovern. The Same for Waletzko. Many of us doubted Steele too and he may be the best run blocker on the Cowboys OL now.

I have concerns about the OL, mostly when Tyron Smith gets hurt. But I do not think the problem is more pressing than what we had at DT before the draft. I think they will be okay.

kskboys

Reaction score
Pretty minimal tape of the guy at G, but I would probably take Edoga over Risner at this point.
Until he goes on IR yet again.

Edoga CAN'T STAY ON THE FIELD.

How do so many keep missing this? W/o availability, nothing about a player matters.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I keep seeing posts that signing OG Dalton Risner would guarantee a Super Bowl win and not signing him would doom the Cowboys to a winless season.

From a Broncos article:
He was the team's best offensive lineman in his rookie season and it seemed as if Denver had found a long-term answer at the guard spot.

Well, the last three years proved to not be the case. Since that stellar 2019 season, Risner has struggled mightily. He constantly got beat in pass protection and never seemed to be able to pick up a defensive stunt.

His shove of Brett Rypien on the sideline during the Broncos' Christmas Day game this past season was also a giant turn-off for many, and the team signing Ben Powers in free agency indicated that Risner was probably not returning.

But could there be a spot for him still along the offensive line? Possibly. I'm not saying that I endorse this as I think Risner isn't starting caliber material and I'm not so sure he's that loved in the locker room.

https://predominantlyorange.com/pos...-risner-could-still-start-denver-broncos-2023
is he an available FA or is this trade situation?? what would he cost? is he better than what we have now?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

From a Broncos article:

Good spot, some of us just chase names (especially when it comes to trench warfare).
Is Risner a mobile/or big mauling Guard, I'd guess if he has trouble in pass-protection he's the latter?
What qualities would Edoga bring to the line?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Stephen was specifically asked a couple of months ago about signing a guard.

His response was “We already got a guard. Edoga. We like him”

Unless he was flat out lying, what makes anyone think they are looking to sign a guard?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not even that. I am not going to judge the guy based on that one mistake. Look at the dumpster fire the Broncos were last season. If Dez did that here. He would be a hero and displaying "passion" lol.
When Dez was playing well it was. When he wasnt, he was a "distraction"

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Until he goes on IR yet again.

Edoga CAN'T STAY ON THE FIELD.

How do so many keep missing this? W/o availability, nothing about a player matters.
As a 2nd string guy I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. Will Edoga and Tyron stay healthy all season? Very likely they won't. Can they combine to give you a full season's worth of starts? Those odds start to look pretty good. Overall Oline play in the NFL is not that great. If a player not on a rookie deal isn't starting it means they are most likely either injury prone or not very good. I can find not very good throughout the season so give me the injury risk and hope the young guys on the roster can get better.

Carson

Reaction score
two more names to add

Justin Pugh .. we love guys coming off injury
Michael Schofield

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Unless he was flat out lying, what makes anyone think they are looking to sign a guard?
Yes, Edoga played OG for the Falcons last season after playing OT for the Jets.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

For me it because I completely disagree with Little Enos’ assessment.

fivetwos

Reaction score
For me it because I completely disagree with Little Enos’ assessment.
Yeah I don’t know anything at all about the player. Nothing.

Just seems like we have an annual discussion about needing to add a vet OL and it doesn’t happen….and they are also scrambling for healthy starters by December.

Teams have to roll the dice in certain spots and I get that, but OL is a rough place to pull that IMO.

Kicker would probably be another but hey, they got this. According to them.

Why do I feel as if we will be drafting a guard and a kicker next year after those spots blow the upcoming one?