Twitter: Cowboys place 2nd-Rd Tender on David Irving

conner01

Reaction score
If i am another team, assuming the financials work out, I am trading a 2nd round pick for David Irving without hesitation.
Some will consider it but the right to match runs some teams away
There could be a team or two that do and then we have to decide to match or take the picks. Puts them in a hard place because they have to throw out a big offer and a second, and we could still match and they get nothing

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
He looks like a good player but didn’t he get busted for steroids and isn’t he always dinged up? I don’t have a strong feeling we’ll see him put up huge numbers for a Decade

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
And D_Law is going to cost us, Irving will want just as much if not more than what we end up paying D_Law. There is this little thing they call "the cap".
Are you one of the fellas screaming for us to sign somebody the past 48 hours? Or starting a thread everytime somebody is released from another team?

cern

Reaction score
I'd prefer D Irving playing for us and not WAS
On that we agree. So it would appear putting a 2nd tender is not so idiotic after all. It gives us every opportunity to keep him unless someone offers a ridiculous amount. In which case we take the 2nd round pick.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
On that we agree. So it would appear putting a 2nd tender is not so idiotic after all. It gives us every opportunity to keep him unless someone offers a ridiculous amount. In which case we take the 2nd round pick.
if we use the 1st round tender we all but guarantee it but we get a 1st if someone swoops

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Good. Would have done the same. Dont think anyone will bite.
Bad. Would have made it a first round tender or tried to sign him to a reasonable contract. I know he is a risk, but I think his talent makes him worth the risk. Someone is going to get him for a late 2nd. We will not be able to match the offer. We have a dominant DT/DE and let him walk. We’ll OVER pay a guard, an over the hill TE, and a mediocre DT/DE( Crawford ), but we won’t find a way to keep a dominant DT/DE! Stupid!!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
DI's agent just stated he felt DI plays out year in Dallas.
Said it'd take a blow you away offer to not hit unrestricted free agency after the season.
DI just signed a new year long lease and outfitted garage with sauna and weight room.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I don't even know where to put this but....the Seahawks must really like Dion Jordan.

Dion Jordan has the same problem with restricted free agency as Dominique Easley in 2017. Since Jordan was a 1st round pick, Seattle only has to give him the low tender of $1.907M for his original draft round as compensation with an unmatched offer sheet.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
If we get a 2nd round pick do you think we will be able to find a DT/DE as dominant as Irving? Also, some team will probably offer him a ridiculous amount we will not be able to match. Look at all the ridiculous FA contracts already. Bottom line: If we lose Irving, we will not be better at DT this next season.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
DI's agent just stated he felt DI plays out year in Dallas.
Said it'd take a blow you away offer to not hit unrestricted free agency after the season.
DI just signed a new year long lease and outfitted garage with sauna and weight room.
They can tag him next year if ZMartin gets signed

DT goes for around 13m.....they could even tag him again in 2020 for 16m

That is 3yr/32m as the max DAL needs to pay Irving

Offer him 3/27m right now and guarantee 16m and I bet he bites

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I could see New England or Tennessee taking a run for a late second.
NE doesn’t over pay for O line, especially G’s, so they have money to pay a player who can be a difference maker all by himself. DE and DT can make plays by themselves, while individual O lineman are only as good as their O line group, especially in regards to pass blocking.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
They can tag him next year if ZMartin gets signed

DT goes for around 13m.....they could even tag him again in 2020 for 16m

That is 3yr/32m as the max DAL needs to pay Irving

Offer him 3/27m right now and guarantee 16m and I bet he bites
Why? I can tag him next year and pay him AT MOST 22m(he's played both DT and DE) for the 2 years. 16m for 2 years? Sign me up.
Why guarantee that now when I can see another year out of him first.

If your DI that seems paltry money compared to this FA class. He's gonna sign for Hitchens cash?
If another team offers him 3 for 27 and he accepts I ask them for a 2nd and 4th or I match. Easy decision.

IF Dallas doesn't tag him next year he's worth 11-14M per year longer term with 33% up front imho.
Say 4 years 48M, 16M up front. And that's only if contracts drop back down to last year's numbers.

Dallas is really under no pressure here. They can flip switches and create money to match any offer he might get.
They are in a great spot.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If we get a 2nd round pick do you think we will be able to find a DT/DE as dominant as Irving? Also, some team will probably offer him a ridiculous amount we will not be able to match. Look at all the ridiculous FA contracts already. Bottom line: If we lose Irving, we will not be better at DT this next season.
Good guess but a guess nonetheless. Almost any NFL DT was better than DI for 8 games last year.
This stuff is all relative.
And he is likely here as his agent notes.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Good guess but a guess nonetheless. Almost any NFL DT was better than DI for 8 games last year.
This stuff is all relative.
And he is likely here as his agent notes.
I hope you are right. I have a good feeling about him for next year. Could be wrong, but there is so much potential there.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
losing Irvine will hurt the team because they wont do a much to replace him I think in dallas any more the money means more than winning does and I don't think the front office and the head coach really know what they are doing

every player we lose hurts the team, when is the winning going to start? i havent seen a competitive team yet, so if losing players hurt the team, wheres the loss?

cern

Reaction score
It's not likely we'll get a better player with a 2nd round pick. But if someone wants him badly enough there's little we can do about it. Just life in the NFL. Ergo, the tender offers.