Twitter: Cowboys place 2nd-Rd Tender on David Irving

cowboyec

Reaction score
If we do move on from David Irving,I hope we get Utsa DE Marcus Davenport at 19 or Fsu DE Josh Sweat in the 3rd or 4th.
Davenport is ideal with his size...similar to Irving.
Another name to watch...5th or 6th Rd area...Ade Aruna,Tulane...another 6'5 DE.

f/a option Id like....6'6 DE Kareem Martin,Az...4th yr.Really like him.Still young.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Firstly what has Jaylon done yet to be considered a good 2nd round pick?
Secondly is he more of a knucklehead than others on the team?
I mean what has he done that our highly paid WR hasn’t done or our newly franchised DE for that matter?
I don’t see how this team will ever improve sufficiently if we keep letting players depart that have proven they can play over the promise of a draft pick.

Compared to the other players you listed...Starting time and exp with what looked like progress to me as the season went on from a player that was coming back from an injury that many said
would prevent him from ever playing the game again...but that is just me, you can agree to disagree if you wish.

Concerning Irving...ask the team that question and the other teams that would not draft him or keep him prior to us getting him. They are the ones that make it seem like they don't trust him.
We can argue all day long but again it makes no difference what we think...it is what they think and I am sure they know more about him than we do. Again...you can agree to disagree if you wish.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Compared to the other players you listed...Starting time and exp with what looked like progress to me as the season went on from a player that was coming back from an injury that many said
would prevent him from ever playing the game again...but that is just me, you can agree to disagree if you wish.

Concerning Irving...ask the team that question and the other teams that would not draft him or keep him prior to us getting him. They are the ones that make it seem like they don't trust him.
We can argue all day long but again it makes no difference what we think...it is what they think and I am sure they know more about him than we do. Again...you can agree to disagree if you wish.
It strikes me the second round tender is as much to do with our current cap situation post DL franchise as it is to do with trust.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Because next year, if Irving has a stellar year, his price goes up and since we cant tender him again it will be pay him or let him walk. We are trying to get something for him now.
If he has a stellar year, then sign him to a long term contract to pair with Lawrence. It baffles me how people on this board simplify how easy his talent is to find. We hit a gold mine signing him off a PS and you guys want to give that to somebody else for an unproven 2nd round pick.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Someone will bite for a second round pick. I hope it’s at the top of the 2nd
I think the front office is hoping that someone will bite. I get the feeling that they would like to move on from him if they can get a 2nd round pick. They know that most likely they will have to give Lawrence and Martin big contracts in the next 12 months. I think there are quite a few things that bother them about giving Irving a lengthy contract for a large sum of money. 1) His social life - tweeting a picture that your girlfriend got you another girl for V Day is just an example, 2) I don't think Jerry was fond of Irving raising his fist during the National Anthem, 3) His 4 game suspension, 4) missing the last 4 games of the season with a concussion, 5) uninspired play prior to 2017.

Who knows, maybe they just want someone to negotiate a contract for them. If someone gives him a contract that we can't afford this year then most likely we will not be able to afford it next year so we just as well get our 2nd round pick this year and move on. If someone gives him a deal that seems reasonable then maybe we just match it and say thank you. I know that Irving busted out for 8 games this year bt let's not kid ourselves, he has been in the league 3 years and only has 11.5 sacks.

CWR

Reaction score
Man Irving is a strange cat and all but he doesnt get much love here. He was developmental from the get go. I think hes gonna get 8-10 sacks next year and I hope its for us.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Man Irving is a strange cat and all but he doesnt get much love here. He was developmental from the get go. I think hes gonna get 8-10 sacks next year and I hope its for us.
But just think of the currently injured player we could take with that 2nd rounder. I am just salivating at the sheer thought of that kind of excitement.

vlad

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why they didn't use a first round tender on him? Is that because of the money you have to commit with that? (I think a little under 5m)?

I think the Cowboys are high on getting draft capital like fans that live on the Draft Zone during the season...which is perfectly fine for fans, not so much the FO.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
If he has a stellar year, then sign him to a long term contract to pair with Lawrence. It baffles me how people on this board simplify how easy his talent is to find. We hit a gold mine signing him off a PS and you guys want to give that to somebody else for an unproven 2nd round pick.
And D_Law is going to cost us, Irving will want just as much if not more than what we end up paying D_Law. There is this little thing they call "the cap".

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The cowboys are just establishing his price. Other teams will set it. Then we can match or take the pick. Smart move.
DAL has his price

3m this year, 13m with the Tag next year and 16m with the Tag in 2020

That is 3/32m.....that is the max we have to pay

Risking that for another 1.4m is stupid

cern

Reaction score
DAL has his price

3m this year, 13m with the Tag next year and 16m with the Tag in 2020

That is 3/32m.....that is the max we have to pay

Risking that for another 1.4m is stupid

cern

Reaction score
In your scenario. But others could play out. He might get an offer too high for us to want to match, in which case we take the pick. Another 2nd rounder this year isn't bad.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
In your scenario. But others could play out. He might get an offer too high for us to want to match, in which case we take the pick. Another 2nd rounder this year isn't bad.
We get a 3rd round Comp if he leaves next year

csirl

Reaction score
Even with the 2nd round tender he's being paid less than the average NFL average. In the current climate that's unreal for a young impact player.