News: Cowboys placed exclusive franchise tag on Prescott

ESisback

Reaction score
well like most every thing this front office has tried to do over the last 10 years this Is another display of total suckage kept a clown for a head coach then wont sign ur good players early no wonder every body makes fun of jerry and Stephen and the dallas cowboys they are a total three stodges show thinking maybe I need to find other things to do than try to follow this crap show

Yes! Go do that! Make yourself happy! You’ll make others happy too!

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Whether you're in the you LIKE Dak or you DON'T like Dak camp, one thing is crystal clear...……………….Jerry and Stephen ABSOLUTELY messed this entire 2020 scenario up. Their 1st mistake was not signing Dak when he was at his cheapest point (towards the end of 2018 after Amari came to town). Then, they compound THAT mistake by caving on Zeke's demands even though he had 2 years left on his deal. To make matters worse, they sign Jaylon to his extension when he was due for one THIS YEAR (after the way he played in 2019, they OBVIOUSLY could've saved $$$$). So, they waited to the last possible minute to sign the 2 MOST IMPORTANT dudes with actual expiring contracts. Even Hollywood couldn't make up such a ridiculous story.
They signed Smith to a “team friendly” deal the team liked so I really wish people stop using that in these talks. If Dak signed a “team friendly” deal he would be signed like Smith.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
are you sure? i thought the franchise tag could be used like a place holder and if a new deal is reached before the season starts, it takes the place of and supersedes the franchise tag.
It is a place holder only because it reserves the rights of the player to that team for another season. The tag does not get superseded by the new deal.

sean10mm

Reaction score
I really think the exclusive vs. non exclusive tag itself is kind of a red herring.

The problem is that we're talking about either one in 2020, when Dak should either be playing under a substantially cheaper long-term deal signed right after the 2018 season or already gone entirely.

Reaction score
Whether you like Dak or not, the team says it does. That's why this is such a head scratcher. If the Jones think paying $33 million/year for five years is too steep, wait until next year, when stud QBs like Mahomes, etc. get paid.

They should have just held their noses this year & paid the man, because it'll seem like a bargain in two years.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Whether you like Dak or not, the team says it does. That's why this is such a head scratcher. If the Jones think paying $33 million/year for five years is too steep, wait until next year, when stud QBs like Mahomes, etc. get paid.

They should have just held their noses this year & paid the man, because it'll seem like a bargain in two years.
its really bizarre. I suspect someone is lying in the F.O. Its that time of year.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If I were a player, I wouldn't give a crap about being "endeared" to fickle, piker fans. Dak was the good guy last year with Zeke going after his money. Now that Dak is going after his "the right way" as fans deemed it last year, he's seen as a bad guy. This is why you get what you can on your own terms and ignore the noise.
Then we wont win. He needs talent around him. He doesn't elevate thosexaround him. He needs others to be talented to elevate him....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All this board DOES is overreact! Exclusive tag...Jerry’s dumb! Non-exclusive yah...Jerry’s dumb! Trade...Jerry’s dumb! Pay him what he wants...Jerry’s dumb!....

Or conversely, the homers who will sheepishly applaud anything the team does.
:rolleyes:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Pretty sure that's incorrect. If he gets an extension he's not even going to sign the tag.
What do you know, Jake from State Farm? Not signing his tag has nothing to do with getting an extention. The tag is the tag, it is in place whether he signs it or not. Signing the tag just get him paid tag money and forces Dak to participate in organizational events like OTAs.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
They signed Smith to a “team friendly” deal the team liked so I really wish people stop using that in these talks. If Dak signed a “team friendly” deal he would be signed like Smith.

The point is they had more pressing needs - whether you like him or not, stability at QB is way more important than signing your MLB a year early.

HanD

Reaction score
It is a place holder only because it reserves the rights of the player to that team for another season. The tag does not get superseded by the new deal.
if so, how come demarcus lawrence's franchise tag isn't shown on his contract after he signed a new one?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/demarcus-lawrence-14443/

if what you are saying is true, wouldn't we see for 2019, a flat rate of 17.1 million?

and then 5 years after that equal to his 105 million?

HanD

Reaction score
What do you know, Jake from State Farm? Not signing his tag has nothing to do with getting an extention. The tag is the tag, it is in place whether he signs it or not. Signing the tag just get him paid tag money and forces Dak to participate in organizational events like OTAs.

it doesn't force anything until he signs it. dak doesn't have to sign the tag designation.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The anti-Dakers wishing the Cowboys had placed the "non-exlusive" tag on Dak...

:lmao: Y'all don't get it.