Cowboys plan to take QB at 4?

Romotil45

Reaction score
Agree 100%. You don't ride the fence. You either believe a prospect justifies closing our current window or you don't. The "let sit and learn" talk is fantasy, which is why it doesn't actually ever happen for top picks. Start the evaluation process day 1. And if you're lucky, you'll end up like SEA, BAL, or SF, who all made trips to the SB with players on their rookie contracts. It allows that money to be invested elsewhere on the roster.

Bingo you nailed it. Like like like.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. How long will 1st round draft guy wait before he gets POed ? How soon will Romo want to be traded ? If I'm Romo and you take a guy in 1st Round this year Denver starts looking really sweet. I would want out ASAP.

I don't know ask Aaron Rodgers he sat 3 seasons behind Favre. I think Romo is a bit more secure than you may be. This is such non sense, come up with something better than this BS. lol

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. How long will 1st round draft guy wait before he gets POed ? How soon will Romo want to be traded ? If I'm Romo and you take a guy in 1st Round this year Denver starts looking really sweet. I would want out ASAP.

I can imagine it now We start 2-2 next season and the fans start crying for the new guy. Jerry goes on his idiot radio show and something idiotic comes out of his idiot mouth to fuel speculatoin. Garrett gets all nervous like he does when he has to pretend to be a leader. Dez leads the win now group and makes one of his scenes. The new guy has all of this to deal with, in addition to learning an NFL offense. Good times.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
This whole idea of vey QB taking rooks under wing went out the window after they all watched Manning go to Denver and win a SB.

Even the feel good Favre-to-Rodgers story is BS. Favre was a jerk and didn't go out of his way to help AR. There was locker room tension. Fans were on Brett's side for quite sometime and were pissed when the team said he had to compete for his job. AR is a HOFer, so it obviously worked out. But it worked out despite the process, not because of it.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I don't know ask Aaron Rodgers he sat 3 seasons behind Favre. I think Romo is a bit more secure than you may be. This is such non sense, come up with something better than this BS. lol

Favre was a jerk to AR and hogged the reps. Aaron Rodgers is great because he's a HOF talent, not because he sat and learned behind Brett Favre for 3 years.

Romotil45

Reaction score
Actually It really has nothing to do with Romos feelings he's a competitive guy good guy but he know the writing is on the wall. When that 1st rounder comes he knows best thing for all involved is for him to move on.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Favre was a jerk to AR and hogged the reps. Aaron Rodgers is great because he's a HOF talent, not because he sat and learned behind Brett Favre for 3 years.

That is your own uniformed opinion based on comment you seem to have quite a few. Based on comment by both Rodgers and Favre they seem to tell a different story.

Romotil45

Reaction score
Actually It really has nothing to do with Romos feelings he's a competitive guy good guy but he know the writing is on the wall. When that 1st rounder comes he knows best thing for all involved is for him to move on.

Especially if you draft that guy this year after the year Romo had in 14. It would be a slap in the face.

Romotil45

Reaction score
Especially if you draft that guy this year after the year Romo had in 14. It would be a slap in the face.

If Romo stinks it up this year a diff story all together but I don't see that happening. I say Romo plays better this year than 14. And calm comes over the crowd.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
That is your own uniformed opinion based on comment you seem to have quite a few. Based on comment by both Rodgers and Favre they seem to tell a different story.

You really don't remember the whole "It's not my job to teach him" story? Sure, they say nice things to each other now, and I don't doubt they like each other well enough as people. But you're being obtuse if you think there wasn't very real tension there.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't know...tricking Rodgers to sign his own helmet was a jerk move. Even if it was hilarious. I buy that Favre was a complete jerk during that time.

But I also don't buy that Rodgers didn't do a ton of development for the NFL when he was on the team backing up Favre. That pretty much goes without saying, I would think. What better way to adapt to the league then to get a couple years behind a HoF player?

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Drafting a QB this year does not effect Romo til the 3rd season unless he suffers another major injury, then he may not get his job back. But if everything goes well injury wise it is in the best interest of everyone involved that year 3 is when we should start seeing the passing of the torch. That gives Romo three chances for a SB, the rookie to not only get reps but get use to the speed of the game without pressure, and the team as a whole that wouldn't have to take the huge cap hit from cutting or trading Romo to early.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
But I also don't buy that Rodgers didn't do a ton of development for the NFL when he was on the team backing up Favre. That pretty much goes without saying, I would think. What better way to adapt to the league then to get a couple years behind a HoF player?

It's all speculation, so I'm aware that I could be way off.

Do you think he learned more from watching Favre than he would have from playing in games and getting first team reps? Not everyone who is great at something is a great teacher. Especially as Favre was clearly bitter during those years, I just have a hard time buying that Aaron Rodgers isn't in the same spot he is now if Favre actually retired the first time he threatened to.

Romotil45

Reaction score
I don't know...tricking Rodgers to sign his own helmet was a jerk move. Even if it was hilarious. I buy that Favre was a complete jerk during that time.

How' about we win Tony a few SB's in the next 4 years so he is a HOF then draft the 1st rd savior n see how it all works out ?

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I was told on here all TO had to do was lie to get by. Now we're believing Farve and Rodgers were bffs. Lol gotcha

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
Who the last QB drafted in the top 5 to sit a whole season before starting?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How' about we win Tony a few SB's in the next 4 years so he is a HOF then draft the 1st rd savior n see how it all works out ?

No, thanks. Let's make sure we have the depth to be successful at what is, by far, the most important position on the field rather than rolling the dice on it again.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's all speculation, so I'm aware that I could be way off.

Do you think he learned more from watching Favre than he would have from playing in games and getting first team reps? Not everyone who is great at something is a great teacher. Especially as Favre was clearly bitter during those years, I just have a hard time buying that Aaron Rodgers isn't in the same spot he is now if Favre actually retired the first time he threatened to.

No way to say, really. I think having a few years to learn something and practice it makes you better at it. Could he have gotten better, faster, by playing instead? Maybe. They had a good team and he woudln't have been getting beat up along the way. It's definitely possible.

I don't really care, either way. If it costs us two years of contractual overlap on a top 5 pick to make sure we have a QB who can play when Romo is done, sign me up. Especially since that time will make him a better player than he would be, coming out. Nothing else matters to me, really.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Who the last QB drafted in the top 5 to sit a whole season before starting?

Philip Rivers and Carson Palmer. Only Palmer was planned; Rivers held out and missed most of camp and the team had no choice but to make him 3rd on the depth chart.

I find it funny that people think players like Palmer and Rodgers needed to "develop" when they were all world super talents in the first place. Rodgers may be even better than he is now (scary) with 48 more games of NFL experience instead of clipboard holding "development". QBs like Tony Romo and Kirk Cousins are actual true development case studies.