CFZ Cowboys players who probably won't be back next year

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are multiple players on our roster, many who will be FAs next year who likely will not be on the roster next year either because of cap restrictions or just needing to move on. I’m intentionally leaving Dak off this list because that is a much more complex situation that requires a separate category. I’m not against moving on from Dak, but don’t want to discuss it here.

Some of these names will be obvious, some may not. Most of the guys I’m about to list will be FAs. Here are my predictions for players we will (should) be considered for an exit:
  • Tyler Biadaz- finished his rookie deal and will command a hefty raise. But IMO, he’s just ok. He’s a good starter but he’s not worth a big raise on a team full of cap challenges.
  • Michael Gallup- has never been the same since his knee injury 2 years ago. His contract is structured for an out this year. He gone.
  • Tony Pollard- after one year on the cap at $10 mil a season, he’s going into 2024 with no contract. He will not be worth the contract he will garner next year. He’s gone.
  • Leighton Vander Esch- LVE - His neck injury is a quality of life thing. He needs to retire.
  • Dorance Armstrong- he’s a good but not great player who benefits greatly being a part time pass rusher opposite Parsons. He will get offers for more than we should pay.
  • Stephon Gilmore- he is a FA. Honestly at 34, he is probably mostly done. We have Diggs on a big deal and Bland. Time to move on.
  • Tyron Smith- He is signed through 2024 I think. But honestly, even though he had an ok year in terms of not missing as many games as he had been missing before. That’s a low bar. He will be an old 34 next year. He’s not owed that much. I would move on. He’s no longer dependable. I love Tyron. He was truly a great player; a great player who‘s time is up.
  • Jourdan Lewis- He will be 29 next year. He had a pretty good year last year but is he worth getting a raise on a cap strapped team?
  • Jayron Kearse- Kearse has been good. Great? No. He’s probably going to get some higher offers that make it hard to keep him. I could see him following wherever Dan Quinn lands.
  • Dante Fowler- he’s a good pass rusher but is he worth keeping at the same price or more? No.
  • Neville Gallimore- finished his rookie deal and is just a rotational guy with only occasional flashes. JAG.
  • Noah Igbinoghene - guy we got in the KJoseph trade last fall. Played very little when it mattered. His rookie deal is up. So…bye.
  • Sean McKeon- Now the 4th or 5th TE who is mainly a blocker. We have a better TE room than 2 years ago.
There are a few other FAs that may be gone. Some of the guys above may also sign here again. Many of the replacements for the guys above would likely come from the draft or cheaper FAs. Will be a very interesting offseason to say the least.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Based on the guys I think we need to let go and based on our obvious weaknesses, this off-season will require major talent upgrades at the following position groups:
  • LB (biggest defensive need)
  • OL (getting old and need a C or T)
  • DL (need some run stuffers)
  • RB (A huge need going into 2023 that was overlooked)
  • (Maybe) Safety
  • QB - I would draft a QB regardless of whether we keep Dak or not. Based on past history I can almost 100% guarantee you this front office won’t draft anyone until round 6 or 7.

nobody

Reaction score
Interesting list but we have too many needs to lose more than one O-lineman despite them not being the greatest. Given the dumpster diving we do in free agency, the slow development of some of our draft picks (not to mention a few busts), and a limited number of draft picks, we will have a lot of holes to fill and also needs some upgrades in a few places. We're in for a tough 2024 season I think.

nobody

Reaction score
Based on the guys I think we need to let go and based on our obvious weaknesses, this off-season will require major talent upgrades at the following position groups:
  • (Maybe) Safety
  • QB - I would draft a QB regardless of whether we keep Dak or not. Based on past history I can almost 100% guarantee you this front office won’t draft anyone until round 6 or 7.
When we should be spending a first on QB. We probably won't though with the other needs and not having a 4th having traded for Lance. Given that, I think our first and second should be spent on two of the first two there on your list. LB, OL, or DL, but I think OL and DL take slightly more priority. RB can be had later. We're losing in the trenches against the better teams. Get us some mean bigger guys.

CWR

Reaction score
There are multiple players on our roster, many who will be FAs next year who likely will not be on the roster next year either because of cap restrictions or just needing to move on. I’m intentionally leaving Dak off this list because that is a much more complex situation that requires a separate category. I’m not against moving on from Dak, but don’t want to discuss it here.

Some of these names will be obvious, some may not. Most of the guys I’m about to list will be FAs. Here are my predictions for players we will (should) be considered for an exit:
  • Tyler Biadaz- finished his rookie deal and will command a hefty raise. But IMO, he’s just ok. He’s a good starter but he’s not worth a big raise on a team full of cap challenges.
  • Michael Gallup- has never been the same since his knee injury 2 years ago. His contract is structured for an out this year. He gone.
  • Tony Pollard- after one year on the cap at $10 mil a season, he’s going into 2024 with no contract. He will not be worth the contract he will garner next year. He’s gone.
  • Leighton Vander Esch- LVE - His neck injury is a quality of life thing. He needs to retire.
  • Dorance Armstrong- he’s a good but not great player who benefits greatly being a part time pass rusher opposite Parsons. He will get offers for more than we should pay.
  • Stephon Gilmore- he is a FA. Honestly at 34, he is probably mostly done. We have Diggs on a big deal and Bland. Time to move on.
  • Tyron Smith- He is signed through 2024 I think. But honestly, even though he had an ok year in terms of not missing as many games as he had been missing before. That’s a low bar. He will be an old 34 next year. He’s not owed that much. I would move on. He’s no longer dependable. I love Tyron. He was truly a great player; a great player who‘s time is up.
  • Jourdan Lewis- He will be 29 next year. He had a pretty good year last year but is he worth getting a raise on a cap strapped team?
  • Jayron Kearse- Kearse has been good. Great? No. He’s probably going to get some higher offers that make it hard to keep him. I could see him following wherever Dan Quinn lands.
  • Dante Fowler- he’s a good pass rusher but is he worth keeping at the same price or more? No.
  • Neville Gallimore- finished his rookie deal and is just a rotational guy with only occasional flashes. JAG.
  • Noah Igbinoghene - guy we got in the KJoseph trade last fall. Played very little when it mattered. His rookie deal is up. So…bye.
  • Sean McKeon- Now the 4th or 5th TE who is mainly a blocker. We have a better TE room than 2 years ago.
There are a few other FAs that may be gone. Some of the guys above may also sign here again. Many of the replacements for the guys above would likely come from the draft or cheaper FAs. Will be a very interesting offseason to say the least.
Thanks for sharing. I acknowledge I'm bitter and have a bad attitude, but honestly don't care if every single one if these guys walks.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The only guy I feel would make sense is Armstrong.
yeah the first day of free agency he gets a deal with a team that has 94 million in cap space, 5 year 129 million dollar deal lol

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
When we should be spending a first on QB. We probably won't though with the other needs and not having a 4th having traded for Lance. Given that, I think our first and second should be spent on two of the first two there on your list. LB, OL, or DL, but I think OL and DL take slightly more priority. RB can be had later. We're losing in the trenches against the better teams. Get us some mean bigger guys.
remember we don't draft for need

nobody

Reaction score
remember we don't draft for need
We certainly do sometimes. It just has to match up with the talent chart. If two players are rated close together on that chart and we need one but not the other, we'll take that need even if the other rated slightly higher.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We certainly do sometimes. It just has to match up with the talent chart. If two players are rated close together on that chart and we need one but not the other, we'll take that need even if the other rated slightly higher.
I'm glad you realize this, some have a hard time grasping that we actually do, what are we in need of DT/LB and we say to hell with it, let's get a WR and a TE

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting list but we have too many needs to lose more than one O-lineman despite them not being the greatest. Given the dumpster diving we do in free agency, the slow development of some of our draft picks (not to mention a few busts), and a limited number of draft picks, we will have a lot of holes to fill and also needs some upgrades in a few places. We're in for a tough 2024 season I think.
We do have a lot of holes to fill. And…one of the weaknesses or our organization IMO is overvaluing its own talent. If the talent we’ve had has never given us more than a wild card win, why do we believe we can’t afford to,lose anyone from that pool of talent?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

I thought Tyron’s contract expired?

Hadenough

Reaction score
  • (Maybe) Safety
MLB please!

nobody

Reaction score
We do have a lot of holes to fill. And…one of the weaknesses or our organization IMO is overvaluing its own talent. If the talent we’ve had has never given us more than a wild card win, why do we believe we can’t afford to,lose anyone from that pool of talent?
Fair point, but realistically to fix the cluster Jerry has created, it will take a couple of seasons to replace the roster enough to maybe partially fix it.

Roland

Reaction score
I agree with the top 3 needs LB, OL and DL, not necessarily in that order though. Guess it will all depend on free agency (which we normally dont make a large splash) and how the draft falls. I think Tyrone comes back for 1 more year. I really want to upgrade the C and if Smith comes back that could free us up for that OL angle. Def need another beef eater in the middle (so will will probably get another edger). And a solid LB. I wouldnt mind bring back Gilmore either as insurance since we dont know how well Diggs will be to start the season. Other than Gilly and Smith, i think you are spot on.

Einstein

Reaction score
I wonder if Big Hank returns... remember it took a long time for him to decide to return to football last offseason, he may just retire