CFZ Cowboys players who probably won't be back next year

chuck520

Reaction score
I see Biadasz and Tyron for sure being back. Biadasz is a strong possibility for the franchise tag unless Pollard gets it again. I see a lot of those defensive guys leaving.
Why would you re sign Biadasz? We couldnt run inside the entire year. I wouldnt give him the franchise tag either.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Why would you re sign Biadasz? We couldnt run inside the entire year. I wouldnt give him the franchise tag either.
He’s a player that’s valued way more by the team than by fans. He keeps Dak clean and is an above average run blocker.

quickccc

Reaction score
I like Hankins. He’s been an improvement from what we‘ve had for years. But is a soon to be 32 year old DT who is - let’s be brutally honest here - above average…is that what we feel is the best we can do? How many teams in this league would plug him in right now as their best run stuffer? A few. And we got him for a 7th round pick. That’s his value.

I don’t mean any disrespect to Hank. But man this dude has played 11 seasons on 4 different teams, has 17.5 sacks over those 11 years, and he was available for a 7th almost two years ago. Hankins is a good rotational player. That’s it. Having him has not turned this D into a monster run stuffing machine.
many thought by just having Hankins alone would solidify our run defense, .but there are several other areas, personnel and coach scheme issues at hand.

i tend to disagree that Hankins is a rotational piece, i think he's a solid starter as a 1 tech, someone has to play the non-flashy, blue collar dirty work role

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
I’m not opposed to re-signing Hankins. But he’s not enough. We Cowboys fans way overrate Hankins because he IS our best run stopping DT. But having him obviously isn’t enough.

Let’s be honest with ourselves. Hankins is an above average rotational DT. He’s worth between 20-30 snaps a game which is ok, but that’s not enough. If we don’t add more talent around him are we any better than we have been? IMO, no.
For some reason, some people look at Hankins like they look at LVE: absolute must-haves on the field or the season is over.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
For some reason, some people look at Hankins like they look at LVE: absolute must-haves on the field or the season is over.

They look at the skill, forget what the player is about. And for the skills they are correct. For the perons, LVE is like Sean Lee, his body cant keep up. Ferraris in the garage. but Hankins did help our defense much more than others. Thats what we need, players who do it on the field, not what coaches envision. There are some players, coaches envision doing great things, and there are some players who can actually do it.

in reality, a lot more fear goes into making decisions than common sense. Tons of people look at this evidence all the time, just look at the hype boys on this page, and some cant fathom to break away from what used to work to do what needs to work today.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
blaming Biadasz for our jacked up RBs?

lol

He's a Pro Bowl Center. Who we gonna get to replace a player like that?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Drafting a D-lineman who can rush the passer and also stop the run is easier said than done. No assurances the player we draft will turn into a solid player, especially at 24. We got virtually nothing out of this draft class. Our first two picks were duds. The jury is still out but neither player showed promise. As for Sam Williams, I thought he had a chance to be a great player but he never shows up consistently. He’ll make a play the disappear for a few games. We hear his name more often when he’s committing stupid penalties. He’s reminding me of Randy Gregory. He’s had off the field issues and doesn’t seem to be making much progress. Can’t rely on him.
Not unusual for young guys to make dumb mistakes. Williams is certainly no exception.

But he is still making dumb mistakes, and some, like the latest one where he was called for interfering with kick receiver, it was beyond dumb, it was totally uncalled for. He was seemed unaware of where he was on the field and unaware of even the rules. Much like Leon Lett on the Miami game, once the kick was blocked every other player was getting away from the ball and even waving other players away. Why Leon felt he had to try and recover the ball was a total mystery. Then he's showboating with the fumble recovery, again unaware that Buffalo players might be close to him. Fortunately for him, Dallas was so good they could overcome such mistakes. This team is not.

Williams to me is the kind of player who will forever do the "what the...." type of plays. And they will always come at the worst possible time. People complain about Dak not getting better, Williams is no better...

Loso86

Reaction score
There are multiple players on our roster, many who will be FAs next year who likely will not be on the roster next year either because of cap restrictions or just needing to move on. I’m intentionally leaving Dak off this list because that is a much more complex situation that requires a separate category. I’m not against moving on from Dak, but don’t want to discuss it here.

Some of these names will be obvious, some may not. Most of the guys I’m about to list will be FAs. Here are my predictions for players we will (should) be considered for an exit:
  • Tyler Biadaz- finished his rookie deal and will command a hefty raise. But IMO, he’s just ok. He’s a good starter but he’s not worth a big raise on a team full of cap challenges.
  • Michael Gallup- has never been the same since his knee injury 2 years ago. His contract is structured for an out this year. He gone.
  • Tony Pollard- after one year on the cap at $10 mil a season, he’s going into 2024 with no contract. He will not be worth the contract he will garner next year. He’s gone.
  • Leighton Vander Esch- LVE - His neck injury is a quality of life thing. He needs to retire.
  • Dorance Armstrong- he’s a good but not great player who benefits greatly being a part time pass rusher opposite Parsons. He will get offers for more than we should pay.
  • Stephon Gilmore- he is a FA. Honestly at 34, he is probably mostly done. We have Diggs on a big deal and Bland. Time to move on.
  • Tyron Smith- He is signed through 2024 I think. But honestly, even though he had an ok year in terms of not missing as many games as he had been missing before. That’s a low bar. He will be an old 34 next year. He’s not owed that much. I would move on. He’s no longer dependable. I love Tyron. He was truly a great player; a great player who‘s time is up.
  • Jourdan Lewis- He will be 29 next year. He had a pretty good year last year but is he worth getting a raise on a cap strapped team?
  • Jayron Kearse- Kearse has been good. Great? No. He’s probably going to get some higher offers that make it hard to keep him. I could see him following wherever Dan Quinn lands.
  • Dante Fowler- he’s a good pass rusher but is he worth keeping at the same price or more? No.
  • Neville Gallimore- finished his rookie deal and is just a rotational guy with only occasional flashes. JAG.
  • Noah Igbinoghene - guy we got in the KJoseph trade last fall. Played very little when it mattered. His rookie deal is up. So…bye.
  • Sean McKeon- Now the 4th or 5th TE who is mainly a blocker. We have a better TE room than 2 years ago.
There are a few other FAs that may be gone. Some of the guys above may also sign here again. Many of the replacements for the guys above would likely come from the draft or cheaper FAs. Will be a very interesting offseason to say the least.
I would definitely try to bring, Tyron, Fowler and Gilmore back

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
There are multiple players on our roster, many who will be FAs next year who likely will not be on the roster next year either because of cap restrictions or just needing to move on. I’m intentionally leaving Dak off this list because that is a much more complex situation that requires a separate category. I’m not against moving on from Dak, but don’t want to discuss it here.

Some of these names will be obvious, some may not. Most of the guys I’m about to list will be FAs. Here are my predictions for players we will (should) be considered for an exit:
  • Tyler Biadaz- finished his rookie deal and will command a hefty raise. But IMO, he’s just ok. He’s a good starter but he’s not worth a big raise on a team full of cap challenges.
  • Michael Gallup- has never been the same since his knee injury 2 years ago. His contract is structured for an out this year. He gone.
  • Tony Pollard- after one year on the cap at $10 mil a season, he’s going into 2024 with no contract. He will not be worth the contract he will garner next year. He’s gone.
  • Leighton Vander Esch- LVE - His neck injury is a quality of life thing. He needs to retire.
  • Dorance Armstrong- he’s a good but not great player who benefits greatly being a part time pass rusher opposite Parsons. He will get offers for more than we should pay.
  • Stephon Gilmore- he is a FA. Honestly at 34, he is probably mostly done. We have Diggs on a big deal and Bland. Time to move on.
  • Tyron Smith- He is signed through 2024 I think. But honestly, even though he had an ok year in terms of not missing as many games as he had been missing before. That’s a low bar. He will be an old 34 next year. He’s not owed that much. I would move on. He’s no longer dependable. I love Tyron. He was truly a great player; a great player who‘s time is up.
  • Jourdan Lewis- He will be 29 next year. He had a pretty good year last year but is he worth getting a raise on a cap strapped team?
  • Jayron Kearse- Kearse has been good. Great? No. He’s probably going to get some higher offers that make it hard to keep him. I could see him following wherever Dan Quinn lands.
  • Dante Fowler- he’s a good pass rusher but is he worth keeping at the same price or more? No.
  • Neville Gallimore- finished his rookie deal and is just a rotational guy with only occasional flashes. JAG.
  • Noah Igbinoghene - guy we got in the KJoseph trade last fall. Played very little when it mattered. His rookie deal is up. So…bye.
  • Sean McKeon- Now the 4th or 5th TE who is mainly a blocker. We have a better TE room than 2 years ago.
There are a few other FAs that may be gone. Some of the guys above may also sign here again. Many of the replacements for the guys above would likely come from the draft or cheaper FAs. Will be a very interesting offseason to say the least.
Tyron graded out as our best lineman. I doubt we can afford to go into next season with a need at LT, possibly a need for a center (upgrade would be nice anyway), and who knows if Steele will be good next year. Zach won't play forever, and Father Time is starting to catch up on our future HoFer. We may have to ride Tyron until the wheels fall off.