Cowboys practically clinch playoffs

Reaction score
I say win out at all cost and see what happens. Beating Zona will go a long way in confidence. No one is going to want to play SF IMO and we don’t want another game against one of our division foes either folks.
If we don't want to play the 49ers or a division foe or the Rams then there is no point in going to the playoffs in the first place.

When you are in the playoffs, you play good teams. That is how it works.

Carson

Reaction score
I suck at math but I wonder if we would've clinched with the win yesterday with the old 16 game schedule?
No. We have 9 and Philly and Washington have 6 wins.

If we lost out and they won out, there would be somehow a tiebreaker to make it possible as we haven’t swept either team.

Would put us at like a 95% chance

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
If everything is locked up by the final game at Philly then you definitely have to rest as many players as possible. That's the luxury of playing in a easier division - you can pretty much have your own bye week even if you don't get the #1 seed.

The team had an early season bye and there is an extra game on the schedule this year. Being able to rest some players is a MUST!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I would absolutely welcome a game against an NFC East opponent. That is about as close as you can get to a bye without actually having the bye. I would much rather play any of them than San Fran, LA, etc.
I agree. But I don’t think a WC from the East will make it.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I want no part of it. Philly has awesome Dline and Oline’s. The QB sucks but you never know when you play a team three times and if Philly gets in, which I think they will, would play us back to back.
Who would you want to face in the playoffs then? If teams with a losing record are scary wait until you see what the later rounds will bring.

Aven8

Reaction score
If we don't want to play the 49ers or a division foe or the Rams then there is no point in going to the playoffs in the first place.

When you are in the playoffs, you play good teams. That is how it works.

I don’t mind the playing the Rams. Stafford is a statue

uvaballa

Reaction score
I wouldnt talk about resting just yet. Still an outside chance for the #1 seed, more importantly I would like to stay away from the #4 seed. Worst case you can probably use week 18 as your bye week for guys who are beat up. I'd wait and see how that plays out though.
I originally thought playing the 5 seed (currently Ram) would be the worst matchup for the Cowboys. Now with the way the 49ers are playing (currently 6 seed) Rams is probably a better matchup for the Cowboys.

Aven8

Reaction score
Who would you want to face in the playoffs then? If teams with a losing record are scary wait until you see what the later rounds will bring.

The Rams. Only team I’m afraid of is GB. Not scared of Tampa and will see in a couple of weeks about Zona. I just want to make the NFCCG at minimum. It’s been too long

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The Rams. Only team I’m afraid of is GB. Not scared of Tampa and will see in a couple of weeks about Zona. I just want to make the NFCCG at minimum. It’s been too long
No argument on the end goal, we both agree on that one.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I suck at math but I wonder if we would've clinched with the win yesterday with the old 16 game schedule?
No, because we played and beat the Patriots in the "extra" game.

You take that game away and we're essentially 8-4 with 4 games to play.
The WFT loss to the Bills in their "extra" game, making their record 6-6 under a 16-game schedule.
The Eagles defeated the Jets in their "extra" game, making their record 5-7 under a 16-game schedule.

With games against NY Giants, Washington, Arizona and the Eagles, we could conceivably lose all four and end 8-8. The Eagles or the WFT could win their remaining games and easily overtake us.

So, no, we would not have clinched under the old 16-game schedule.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Even if we beat NY, there are still a lot of starters who should play the rest of the way, especially on the offensive side of the ball, if they are healthy enough to do so. Dak and this offense need to spend the next month working on whatever issues they are having and try to get it right before entering into the playoffs.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Uhoh. He wants to be safe and smart like in 2016.

I'd rather use those games to get the team right and go into the postseason with some momentum rather than being spineless and scared about injuries.

I think players who are healthy should be playing and playing to win. I do think there are some exceptions. Zeke for one we need that knee to be right and if giving him some time to get that knee closer to 100% by holding him out in games then do so. Uncertain about the status of Pollard but again if we can sow up the division I think Pollard being closer to 100% for post season is important.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
With 3 games up and 4 to play. Division is over.

We’d have to lose out and Wash or Phil win out which one of them won’t playing each other Sunday.

If we beat NY Sunday that all but locks it up. If we aren’t in the home field race we should consider resting some key stars for the playoffs.

It’s not going to matter where we play in playoffs if we aren’t healthy.

I agree with you. If we're out of the #1 seed, rest our players. The defense has shown that with everyone healthy, we're simply a different team.
And in the playoffs, we're going to need a healthy Zeke and a healthier Pollard (though I heard he may be out for the season :( ).
It does no good going all out those last games, especially if we clinch the division.

We're likely going to have to play the Rams, assuming they can't overtake the Cardinals. So might as well get rested.

However, with Dak's slump (unless it's because of injury), I would let him play a half. We need him in rhythm with the offense and the receivers.

Creeper

Reaction score
With 3 games up and 4 to play. Division is over.

We’d have to lose out and Wash or Phil win out which one of them won’t playing each other Sunday.

If we beat NY Sunday that all but locks it up. If we aren’t in the home field race we should consider resting some key stars for the playoffs.

It’s not going to matter where we play in playoffs if we aren’t healthy.

It is true that Washington or Philly has to win out to have a chance to win the division but Dallas still has to win at least one more game. If Washington wins out they win the division if Dallas wins only 1 more game. If Philly and Dallas tie at 10-7 they will go all the way to the points differential tie-breaker which right now Dallas leads by 47 points. But with 4 games left that could be erased easily, especially considering who the Eagles play the next 3 games - Washington, Giants, Washington.

What we do know is that either Washington or the Eagles will eliminate the other if Dallas wins next week against the Giants.

gmb1

Reaction score
No, because we played and beat the Patriots in the "extra" game.

You take that game away and we're essentially 8-4 with 4 games to play.
The WFT loss to the Bills in their "extra" game, making their record 6-6 under a 16-game schedule.
The Eagles defeated the Jets in their "extra" game, making their record 5-7 under a 16-game schedule.

With games against NY Giants, Washington, Arizona and the Eagles, we could conceivably lose all four and end 8-8. The Eagles or the WFT could win their remaining games and easily overtake us.

So, no, we would not have clinched under the old 16-game schedule.
Thanks

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I would rest Zeke for the remainder of the regular season as well as Pollard. Give Clement the run and spell him with Hardy if you have to, but no reason to run them into the ground.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We could probably beat NY without several key stars.

And Wash could be playing with their 3rd string QB next week.

Now if we’re still in a position to win a higher seed when we play AZ then I’d bring them back.

I was thinking, sit Pollard (if he could play at all) and Zeke, let that knee rest / heal. And even Dak. Let him get whatever ailment is bothering him better. He seems to be slower running.
Or If they get up by 2 or 3 scores, then sit them the rest of the game.
Let the defense win this one, again.