Cowboys Rank Next To Last In Brugler's Draft Class Power Rankings

cowboysooner

Reaction score
They and Houston seem to hit on first rounders that make the pro bowl at a higher propensity than most despite picking near 20 often. Dallas is better than them in the second.

LittleD

Reaction score
I’m not bent out of shape about it. I think we did okay.

However, I’m skeptical of being able to pressure our way to defend the pass. Kansas City couldn’t and they had three potential 15 sack guys in their front including the second best interior rusher in football. Meanwhile every time they play NE, patriots throw 50% of their plays in the short middle or swing passes neutralizing the rush.

The 275 was awful. However the week before a better running team was shut down by the same defense. Football has tons of random outcomes with limited data points. Even if you want to examine the data against other successful teams you should look at more than one small sample to plan decisions.

Based on that game, you would pay Conner Williams $15mm and make Suh the highest paid defensive player on the field.

With the NFL cap, you have to pick your poison and where to spend those resources. The Cowboys FO and coaching staff is locked in on OL, DL, LB, RB and CB so you see the results of the draft. You just can't have great players at every position. NE does so well because the don't have great players at every position but, they have the best thinking QB and HC in football scheming the way to SB's. We don't period.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If your last decade includes 2009, which is right up there with the worst drafts in team history, then you are dead wrong.

These are what could be considered as "successes".

2010 - Bryant, Lee
2011 - Tyron Smith, Demarco Murray
2012 - Crawford maybe? Claiborne was pretty much a bust
2013 - Frederick
2014 - Martin, Lawrence
2015 - B. Jones
2016 - Elliott, J. Smith, Prescott, M. Collins? A. Brown?
2017 - Nobody yet; Charlton is headed towards busthood
2018 - Vander Esch so far.

To say they are the best drafting team of the last decade is a bit of a stretch.

They seem to have begun trending upward nicely after the last Ciskowski draft and his assumption of more responsibilities in 2013-2014.

And outside of Charlton, they have nailed many their high picks.
I think Awuzie and Lewis will be solid too.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
If your last decade includes 2009, which is right up there with the worst drafts in team history, then you are dead wrong.

These are what could be considered as "successes".

2010 - Bryant, Lee
2011 - Tyron Smith, Demarco Murray
2012 - Crawford maybe? Claiborne was pretty much a bust
2013 - Frederick
2014 - Martin, Lawrence
2015 - B. Jones
2016 - Elliott, J. Smith, Prescott, M. Collins? A. Brown?
2017 - Nobody yet; Charlton is headed towards busthood
2018 - Vander Esch so far.

To say they are the best drafting team of the last decade is a bit of a stretch.

They seem to have begun trending upward nicely after the last Ciskowski draft and his assumption of more responsibilities in 2013-2014.

And outside of Charlton, they have nailed many their high picks.
That’s 7 pro bowl players over 9 years in the first with two busts. That’s fire. The league fails 40% in the first at a much lower standard metric than pro bowl.

In the second you have an elite pass rusher, a solid pass rusher when available, two pro bowl ILB, a starting corner, and a probable starting guard. That’s at worst 5/9 with at least three big hits.

There isn’t a team you will find that is much better.

However,a huge part of this game is changed by qb. And the difference between good and great is important and often the whole story.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
With the NFL cap, you have to pick your poison and where to spend those resources. The Cowboys FO and coaching staff is locked in on OL, DL, LB, RB and CB so you see the results of the draft. You just can't have great players at every position. NE does so well because the don't have great players at every position but, they have the best thinking QB and HC in football scheming the way to SB's. We don't period.
100%.

And running back is not the greatest way to spend money. The difference in good and great gets you 20 yards per game. Spending money on lines is great. It would have been better to keep Bill Callahan. He is arguably more important than backs given what he has done in DC.

We spent 2 years not fully using Zeke as a receiver. That and short yardage are his best attributes.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
This point is lost on so many. Sure we have Amari............and now we have to pay him. Unless you have Brady and Belechek on the sideline, rookie contracts matter.
The reason they get paid is because they’re good.
Who do you want leading the DL?
Taco and his rookie contract or D. Law?

ESisback

Reaction score
I give credit when due, and I criticize when due.
I just look at the good more than I do the bad. They draft a player I don't think they should have, I will say it, but I also will embrace it, because he is now on the team. But I won't hate the player and rag on him all the time like many do.

Like Taco. I liked the pick, but now he needs to show something in his 3rd year, or else move on. However if they can get a 4th or 5th round pick for him and trade him now, I won't complain. Or trade him for a S.

Last year I did like like day 3 of the draft, said so then many times. However, a few picks I come around to a wait and see. Like Schultz. It wasn't that I didn't like the player, but I didn't like the position pick at that point. But now I can see why they selected him to see how he progresses this year. If Witten will come off the field that is. In which I am still 50-50 on his return. Can he help the team as much as he can hurt the team, I don't know, so will have to wait and see.

I welcome Witt’s presence. Just not too many snaps!

Dre11

Reaction score
Lol... this guy just called out people like ol Brugler....lol

Starting at 30:50 - 40:00

Check out @dallascowboys's Tweet:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yet he's a Scout that contributed to the Cowboys drafts that many feel have been good. Mullet and all.
Jerry also hired 3 garrett boys, doesn't mean they are good at their job or even deserving of it. His dad probably sold jerry his sister or something.

Dre11

Reaction score
Jerry also hired 3 garrett boys, doesn't mean they are good at their job or even deserving of it. His dad probably sold jerry his sister or something.

I see you still chasing those waterfalls...lol get off the pipe.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They simply aren’t awesome at it. They are a middle of the pack drafting team.

The Cowboys have drafted better than them over the past 5 years. The Cowboys are one of the best since McClay ascended.

I was pointing out where the patriots are excellent.

Brady, mid tier free agents, coaching, adapting salary cap allocation to the rules ie coverage over rush. Spend money on short passing game- slots, te, satellite backs.

Other teams have won Super Bowls with different formulas. However none have sustained excellence over time like theirs has.

But just picking good players in the draft, Dallas has been excellent especially in the first and second rounds. Lots of exceptional players.

Patriots are the best in the business. But you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Name the great New England picks from 14-18. They’ve got some good players. IT is nothing close to the guys Dallas picked.
Flowers and Jimmy G are the only names that stand out. Some solid players for them, but I don't see any All Pro's or Pro Bowlers.

Big_D

Reaction score
I just read their draft grades and they got all A's. lol Which goes to show how these predictions, power rankings and draft grades mean absolutely nothing.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Name the great New England picks from 14-18. They’ve got some good players. IT is nothing close to the guys Dallas picked.

LOL......then why isnt Dallas in the SB every year like New England is?

Too funny. Whatever, Dallas is great at drafting and the Patriots arent. Think whatever you want. I refuse to further argue the point. Its laughable.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
T
LOL......then why isnt Dallas in the SB every year like New England is?

Too funny. Whatever, Dallas is great at drafting and the Patriots arent. Think whatever you want. I refuse to further argue the point. Its laughable.

Brady
Scheme
Scarnecia whose near equivalent Callahan Garrett couldn’t get along with
Exceptional pro personnel department
Some big ticket free agents

Flowers is their best pick in 5 years and he isn’t Lawrence. Garrapolo was essentially a swap of 2’s. Thune and Shaq are solid. Their drafts are pretty average. You can’t come up with players because you make broad assertions with limited facts.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
T

Brady
Scheme
Scarnecia whose near equivalent Callahan Garrett couldn’t get along with
Exceptional pro personnel department
Some big ticket free agents

Flowers is their best pick in 5 years and he isn’t Lawrence. Garrapolo was essentially a swap of 2’s. Thune and Shaq are solid. Their drafts are pretty average. You can’t come up with players because you make broad assertions with limited facts.

Honestly, you sound foolish. Educate yourself. Here I will help you. Patriots draft low every year and still they pull talent even on day 3. Cowboys have higher picks and they have hit of late on most of their first rounders. Go further down the draft and they dont hit much save for Dak later then the 3rd round.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/patriots-best-day-3-nfl-draft-picks-bill-belichick-era

The New England Patriots are better at talent evaluation than the rest of the NFL, and they continued to prove it with their five picks through three rounds of the 2019 NFL draft.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2833400-new-england-patriots-win-nfl-draft-yet-again

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/04...ar-perfect-draft-grades-sports-media-experts/

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/25/...-picks-super-bowl-tom-brady-legarrette-blount