Cowboys Rank Next To Last In Brugler's Draft Class Power Rankings

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Stop changing the subject. I am specifically talking about how well they draft even on 2nd and 3rd days of the draft. And they are awesome at it. Just like they reportedly nailed this draft as well. And they do all this even drafting late in rounds. Its not like they pick high. I read something the other day that mentioned that half of their defense was put together with picks in the 4th round or lower. Quite an amazing feat to say the least.
Media always love patriots drafts. They don’t pick players as good as many teams (like the Cowboys) but they game the draft better by moving down to get more picks. The Rams use a similar strategy.

The draft is less important to the patriots than most teams because they are so good at other parts of roster construction.

I really don’t think much is accomplished by Pete Prisco and Vic Carrucie giving you an A grade.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
But next to dead to last? Dallas was not the only team without a first.
No, but most whow ere out of the 1st round traded out of the first and got picks for their trouble.

In any case better to not be next to dead last....but not losing any sleep over this...especially with Dane's own caveat.

Dre11

Reaction score
Well, I do think they had the best draft on paper in the division, does that count?

Yet their 1st round qb may not see the field at all this year. Then may not be good when he sees the field.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I think the outlets or people who gave Dallas better grades--which was nearly everyone else--gave them at least partial credit for the Cooper trade.
I fully agree that you can't count him as a draft pick, but an honest assessment may at least take the use of that pick to get him into account. So partial credit.

I do think we reached hard on both Hill and Pollard.

Overall, I don't mind the players that we took, but we maybe could've been more efficient value-wise.
Honestly, people keep saying was it either Hill or Thornton (or other)….
I think it could've been Thornton AND Hill

:hammer:

I feel the same way....on paper we look like we did ok....but in the end...you look back and think we could have done better. Look @ who we could have had....

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I don't care for Brugler's yearly breakdowns lol

I don't either...but I gotta say I was talking to him before the draft...and he nailed the Sean Bunting pick to Tampa...I debated w/ him.. Bunting would be a day 2 pick...Looks like I lost. But we are talking about Tampa Bay that have sunk 6 picks in DBs the last 3 years..and are still looking to fix their last ranked secondary. So who knows...I think Tampa could be back for more next year...we will see.:rolleyes:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
31. Dallas Cowboys
2019 draft class
2 58 DT Trysten Hill
3 90 OG/C Connor McGovern
4 128 RB Tony Pollard
5 158 CB Michael Jackson Sr.
5 165 EDGE Joe Jackson
6 213 SS Donovan Wilson
7 218 RB Mike Weber
7 241 EDGE Jalen Jelks
Favorite pick: Connor McGovern, OG/C, Penn State
The Cowboys drafted a higher-rated player in the third round than the second round. McGovern has experience at center and guard and gives the Cowboys a nasty run blocker with upside as a pass protector. His versatility will give the Cowboys options up front in the future, like possibly moving Connor Williams outside to tackle.
Questionable pick: Trysten Hill, DT, UCF
Without a first-round pick, the Cowboys weren’t going to be high on this list, but it is understandable why many fans aren’t excited about Hill, their top pick in the draft. He butted heads with coaches (and teammates) at UCF and needs time to develop. This pick felt like a reach because of their desire to land a high-upside three-technique in a draft with limited options at that position.
Day 3 pick who could surprise: Michael Jackson Sr., CB, Miami (Fla.)
Jackson was thought to be a top-100 pick over the summer, but he didn’t quite have the senior year many expected with only six passes defended and zero interceptions. But the size/speed traits are worth betting on in the fifth round, and defensive assistant Kris Richard has a track record of developing long, speedy corners into quality contributors.
https://***BLOCKED***/951557/2019/04/28/dane-bruglers-nfl-draft-class-power-rankings/
What a crock, mate.
Some obscure analyst puts us 31st and we are expected to ascede?
Sod.
You and your mate.

jay94

Reaction score
What a crock, mate.
Some obscure analyst puts us 31st and we are expected to ascede?
Sod.
You and your mate.

We should be number one why most analysts at best thought hill was a third round pick. Yes the Amari situation hey Dak doesn't need a number one receiver we have the most talented group in the league. Half way through they realized it wasn't the case, will our prior number 2 even be in the league come week one? Like usual our talent has and will always be overstated by Jones and fan co.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Media always love patriots drafts. They don’t pick players as good as many teams (like the Cowboys) but they game the draft better by moving down to get more picks. The Rams use a similar strategy.

The draft is less important to the patriots than most teams because they are so good at other parts of roster construction.

I really don’t think much is accomplished by Pete Prisco and Vic Carrucie giving you an A grade.

Not sure what benefit you get out of denying the facts

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dane is the best at what he does and he is very clued into the Cowboys.

And yes if you exclude Amari Cooper this is a pretty tepid haul as one would imagine from picking outside the top 50.

Agreed on his note about 3T but that won't mean DAL was wrong to try. They got the guy who met their measurables for a position that is key yet unmanned in DAL next year with returnees all hitting FA.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
A LOT Of people picked LVE as the worst pick of round 1 last year.
At some point we gotta learn form the yearly6 education we get in just how foolish we are around prospects and fits.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Essentially, yes. We gave our first round pick for him. Not including him is dumb and represents nothing more than an agenda.
No it is dumb to include a player we didnt draft into out draft class.

There is a reason teams dont give up first round picks every year for a proven player

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
No it is dumb to include a player we didnt draft into out draft class.

There is a reason teams dont give up first round picks every year for a proven player

You have a right to your opinion, even if it doesn’t make any sense.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
It makes plenty of sense

Did Cleveland draft Odell this past draft?

Did Kc draft Frank Clark?

Are they included in their teams draft grades?

They’re not graded as such, but they should be included simply because draft picks were spent on them. Had we not traded for Cooper, we would’ve selected a player in the first round (or subsequent round if we traded back). Not including Cooper just completely ignores what we did with that pick. Otherwise it’s as if we never had the pick or it just vanished into thin air with nothing to show for it. Common sense.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
You have a right to your opinion, even if it doesn’t make any sense.

It makes perfect sense to people capable of analytical thinking. You can’t compare a player who has been in the league for 3 or 4 years and is due a long term deal at $17-18 million per to a rookie who you will have under control for 5 years at a very affordable price tag. The problem is people want to compare Cooper straight up to whoever was available at 28 and say Dallas won big without taking into account that having the rookie instead means the team would have $16 million+/- more in cap space for the next 4-5 years to spread around to other positions. Not to mention the threat of never signing Cooper and watching a 1st round pick go up in smoke. There are valid arguments on both sides of the issue and both make sense. It’s just a matter of deciding what side you come down on.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
And I imagine if you graded professional scouts they are little if any better than a lot of the other "experts".

So everyone in this business is open for criticism and this standard of being wrong about a player or 2 making you a moron is ridiculous because they all have horrendous moments.

Since you're dealing with people, you're never going to be perfect, it's all opinion, though some have more knowledge to base their opinion on...