Cowboys Rank Next To Last In Brugler's Draft Class Power Rankings

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Not sure what benefit you get out of denying the facts
They simply aren’t awesome at it. They are a middle of the pack drafting team.

The Cowboys have drafted better than them over the past 5 years. The Cowboys are one of the best since McClay ascended.

I was pointing out where the patriots are excellent.

Brady, mid tier free agents, coaching, adapting salary cap allocation to the rules ie coverage over rush. Spend money on short passing game- slots, te, satellite backs.

Other teams have won Super Bowls with different formulas. However none have sustained excellence over time like theirs has.

But just picking good players in the draft, Dallas has been excellent especially in the first and second rounds. Lots of exceptional players.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It makes perfect sense to people capable of analytical thinking. You can’t compare a player who has been in the league for 3 or 4 years and is due a long term deal at $17-18 million per to a rookie who you will have under control for 5 years at a very affordable price tag. The problem is people want to compare Cooper straight up to whoever was available at 28 and say Dallas won big without taking into account that having the rookie instead means the team would have $16 million+/- more in cap space for the next 4-5 years to spread around to other positions. Not to mention the threat of never signing Cooper and watching a 1st round pick go up in smoke. There are valid arguments on both sides of the issue and both make sense. It’s just a matter of deciding what side you come down on.

This point is lost on so many. Sure we have Amari............and now we have to pay him. Unless you have Brady and Belechek on the sideline, rookie contracts matter.

LittleD

Reaction score
They simply aren’t awesome at it. They are a middle of the pack drafting team.

The Cowboys have drafted better than them over the past 5 years. The Cowboys are one of the best since McClay ascended.

I was pointing out where the patriots are excellent.

Brady, mid tier free agents, coaching, adapting salary cap allocation to the rules ie coverage over rush. Spend money on short passing game- slots, te, satellite backs.

Other teams have won Super Bowls with different formulas. However none have sustained excellence over time like theirs has.

But just picking good players in the draft, Dallas has been excellent especially in the first and second rounds. Lots of exceptional players.

NO ONE and I mean NO ONE knows how the draft is going to work out for all 32 teams at this point in time. Check back in a couple of years and we'll have a pretty good idea of how this draft class is performing and which teams scored well in their draft selection scoring. It appears that Dallas attempted to take BPA on their board regardless of position which is what they're supposed to do, right?

davidariust24

Reaction score
31. Dallas Cowboys
2019 draft class
2 58 DT Trysten Hill
3 90 OG/C Connor McGovern
4 128 RB Tony Pollard
5 158 CB Michael Jackson Sr.
5 165 EDGE Joe Jackson
6 213 SS Donovan Wilson
7 218 RB Mike Weber
7 241 EDGE Jalen Jelks
Favorite pick: Connor McGovern, OG/C, Penn State
The Cowboys drafted a higher-rated player in the third round than the second round. McGovern has experience at center and guard and gives the Cowboys a nasty run blocker with upside as a pass protector. His versatility will give the Cowboys options up front in the future, like possibly moving Connor Williams outside to tackle.
Questionable pick: Trysten Hill, DT, UCF
Without a first-round pick, the Cowboys weren’t going to be high on this list, but it is understandable why many fans aren’t excited about Hill, their top pick in the draft. He butted heads with coaches (and teammates) at UCF and needs time to develop. This pick felt like a reach because of their desire to land a high-upside three-technique in a draft with limited options at that position.
Day 3 pick who could surprise: Michael Jackson Sr., CB, Miami (Fla.)
Jackson was thought to be a top-100 pick over the summer, but he didn’t quite have the senior year many expected with only six passes defended and zero interceptions. But the size/speed traits are worth betting on in the fifth round, and defensive assistant Kris Richard has a track record of developing long, speedy corners into quality contributors.
https://***BLOCKED***/951557/2019/04/28/dane-bruglers-nfl-draft-class-power-rankings/
As far as quality. It sounds like McGovern should have been selected in the second round and Hill in the third. We got both so I'm happy

cowboysooner

Reaction score
NO ONE and I mean NO ONE knows how the draft is going to work out for all 32 teams at this point in time. Check back in a couple of years and we'll have a pretty good idea of how this draft class is performing and which teams scored well in their draft selection scoring. It appears that Dallas attempted to take BPA on their board regardless of position which is what they're supposed to do, right?
Somewhat. Yes.

My only concern is they were trying to fill holes on a defense that was good. They did little to improve an offense that was bad other than change coordinator and get a 4th round receiving back.

You can make a real argument that in the short passing game friendly league that slot corner, safety and linebacker exceed the value of defensive tackle unless truly special. We are adequate to good at linebacker, slot and free safety. Bad at strong. That’s where we were last year and remain today.

The correlated thing you do to winning is improving passing DVOA on offense and defense. We replaced our best short yardage receiver in free agency that was probably okay in nominal value. We added a receiving back. That’s promising. Tight end won’t be explosive with Witten.

We need to pay Byron Jones.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Out of the 100s of people that post here, you are the number one homer. Otherwise, I wouldn't remember your screen name.

Whatever dude, keep telling your self that, because it is not true.
And who are you, I won't remember your name after this post, because if you need to call someone a homer, then you are a hater.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There’s a small group of “Rah Rahs”, and a small group of Eeyores that are never happy. I’m advocating for middle ground, that’s all. Where do YOU stand?

I give credit when due, and I criticize when due.
I just look at the good more than I do the bad. They draft a player I don't think they should have, I will say it, but I also will embrace it, because he is now on the team. But I won't hate the player and rag on him all the time like many do.

Like Taco. I liked the pick, but now he needs to show something in his 3rd year, or else move on. However if they can get a 4th or 5th round pick for him and trade him now, I won't complain. Or trade him for a S.

Last year I did like like day 3 of the draft, said so then many times. However, a few picks I come around to a wait and see. Like Schultz. It wasn't that I didn't like the player, but I didn't like the position pick at that point. But now I can see why they selected him to see how he progresses this year. If Witten will come off the field that is. In which I am still 50-50 on his return. Can he help the team as much as he can hurt the team, I don't know, so will have to wait and see.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Brugler is right more then he is wrong, he wasn't the only one. Across the board we are near the bottom. Guess what last year Pff gave us an elite draft grade. Everyone get off the hype train of giving away our first round pick, if we did it at the beginning of the season than sure, no but we had to somehow out of desperation had to attempt to salvage our season. This at best seems like a C draft and that is ok based on not picking until the second round. We could of had a DAY one STARTER and I imagine that is the reasoning for a lot of hating on this draft class. Yes poor safety play has COST us plenty of games.
And we might get a repeat of the same this year.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This point is lost on so many. Sure we have Amari............and now we have to pay him. Unless you have Brady and Belechek on the sideline, rookie contracts matter.
No he wasn't drafted, so he shouldn't be factored in for draft rankings.
But he was better than any risk we took at WR in the first round. So, you pay the player.

LittleD

Reaction score
Somewhat. Yes.

My only concern is they were trying to fill holes on a defense that was good. They did little to improve an offense that was bad other than change coordinator and get a 4th round receiving back.

You can make a real argument that in the short passing game friendly league that slot corner, safety and linebacker exceed the value of defensive tackle unless truly special. We are adequate to good at linebacker, slot and free safety. Bad at strong. That’s where we were last year and remain today.

The correlated thing you do to winning is improving passing DVOA on offense and defense. We replaced our best short yardage receiver in free agency that was probably okay in nominal value. We added a receiving back. That’s promising. Tight end won’t be explosive with Witten.

We need to pay Byron Jones.

They weren't good when they played the Colts and the Rams at the end of the season. What was the main problem?...they couldn't stop the run which opened up the quick pass. They added where Marinelli saw weakness. He needs 8 great rushmen that he can platoon to stop the run
and get after the QB. If you do that consistently, Heath is no real liability.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Perhaps? No, it determines nothing.
The funny thing about these predictions are that fans get use the "I told you so" excuse when a player flops, but tuck their tail if they're completely wrong.
Either way, No one knows how a drafted player will do and that includes ranking a draft well before a snap has been taken.

Uhh..you can absolutely rank a draft before the season. That's what alot.od these guys step paid to do in fact. The same way the players eligible for the draft are ranked before it starts. Lol

It's not saying that this person will definitely be a hall of.famer and this guy will be a bust.

It's just perceived value by the person or group doing the evaluation.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
They weren't good when they played the Colts and the Rams at the end of the season. What was the main problem?...they couldn't stop the run which opened up the quick pass. They added where Marinelli saw weakness. He needs 8 great rushmen that he can platoon to stop the run
and get after the QB. If you do that consistently, Heath is no real liability.
You are way better off addressing the issues from all 18 games than two bad points. I don’t think getting a good dt is a bad thing. I do think improving the strong safety would have helped more overall and more immediately against the pass. Taylor Rapp walks in as a huge improvement over the current roster.

It is certainly true that it is more difficult to find a plus DT than a SS in the longer term. I’m skeptical of a second round rookie at dt being an impact guy especially given some of the maturity concerns.

Rapp was probably the second or third best player in the PAC 12.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Uhh..you can absolutely rank a draft before the season. That's what alot.od these guys step paid to do in fact. The same way the players eligible for the draft are ranked before it starts. Lol

It's not saying that this person will definitely be a hall of.famer and this guy will be a bust.

It's just perceived value by the person or group doing the evaluation.
Uhhh It's just my opinion, just like you've expressed yours. I feel that without a single NFL snap, it's simply a silly and useless point. You aren't required to like it.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
You are way better off addressing the issues from all 18 games than two bad points. I don’t think getting a good dt is a bad thing. I do think improving the strong safety would have helped more overall and more immediately against the pass. Taylor Rapp walks in as a huge improvement over the current roster.

It is certainly true that it is more difficult to find a plus DT than a SS in the longer term. I’m skeptical of a second round rookie at dt being an impact guy especially given some of the maturity concerns.

For the record, I'd love a head-hunting Safety. But I think it's a valid point to use the post-season as a more accurate measuring stick in terms of weakness because in the playoffs, you're typically playing the better teams. The greatest safety in the NFL isn't going to stop 275 rushing yards.
As far as stopping the run, you'll notice a bigger change in the front 7.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
31. Dallas Cowboys
2019 draft class
2 58 DT Trysten Hill
3 90 OG/C Connor McGovern
4 128 RB Tony Pollard
5 158 CB Michael Jackson Sr.
5 165 EDGE Joe Jackson
6 213 SS Donovan Wilson
7 218 RB Mike Weber
7 241 EDGE Jalen Jelks
Favorite pick: Connor McGovern, OG/C, Penn State
The Cowboys drafted a higher-rated player in the third round than the second round. McGovern has experience at center and guard and gives the Cowboys a nasty run blocker with upside as a pass protector. His versatility will give the Cowboys options up front in the future, like possibly moving Connor Williams outside to tackle.
Questionable pick: Trysten Hill, DT, UCF
Without a first-round pick, the Cowboys weren’t going to be high on this list, but it is understandable why many fans aren’t excited about Hill, their top pick in the draft. He butted heads with coaches (and teammates) at UCF and needs time to develop. This pick felt like a reach because of their desire to land a high-upside three-technique in a draft with limited options at that position.
Day 3 pick who could surprise: Michael Jackson Sr., CB, Miami (Fla.)
Jackson was thought to be a top-100 pick over the summer, but he didn’t quite have the senior year many expected with only six passes defended and zero interceptions. But the size/speed traits are worth betting on in the fifth round, and defensive assistant Kris Richard has a track record of developing long, speedy corners into quality contributors.
https://***BLOCKED***/951557/2019/04/28/dane-bruglers-nfl-draft-class-power-rankings/
It’s honestly doesn’t matter at this point. Dallas has earned some good faith when it comes to drafting. Over the last 8-10 years they have proven me wrong to much. They honestly might be the best drafting team the last decade, I can’t think of anyone else.

LittleD

Reaction score

I'm not really arguing that the Cowboys couldn't have used a guy like Rapp but, if you listen to the guys that work for the Cowboys organization they just don't value safety as a top position to commit valued resources to. They are going to go for the DL, OL, LB or CB every time. They got Iloka to be an option at the SS and from my watching film of him he plays the run and tackles well. He's just not great in coverage. If the DL gets to the QB
in 3 seconds or less more often than not this season, the safeties won't matter. Now look at the Rams, they focused on the front 7 all the way and much less on the backend.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It’s honestly doesn’t matter at this point. Dallas has earned some good faith when it comes to drafting. Over the last 8-10 years they have proven me wrong to much. They honestly might be the best drafting team the last decade, I can’t think of anyone else.

If your last decade includes 2009, which is right up there with the worst drafts in team history, then you are dead wrong.

These are what could be considered as "successes".

2010 - Bryant, Lee
2011 - Tyron Smith, Demarco Murray
2012 - Crawford maybe? Claiborne was pretty much a bust
2013 - Frederick
2014 - Martin, Lawrence
2015 - B. Jones
2016 - Elliott, J. Smith, Prescott, M. Collins? A. Brown?
2017 - Nobody yet; Charlton is headed towards busthood
2018 - Vander Esch so far.

To say they are the best drafting team of the last decade is a bit of a stretch.

They seem to have begun trending upward nicely after the last Ciskowski draft and his assumption of more responsibilities in 2013-2014.

And outside of Charlton, they have nailed many their high picks.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He seemed very disinterested during the draft show coverage on dc.com like he was pissed he had to be there.

Just seemed odd to me, he is usually really engaging and talkative on the weekly draft shows.

Not really related to his grades, just an observation I noticed.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
I'm not really arguing that the Cowboys couldn't have used a guy like Rapp but, if you listen to the guys that work for the Cowboys organization they just don't value safety as a top position to commit valued resources to. They are going to go for the DL, OL, LB or CB every time. They got Iloka to be an option at the SS and from my watching film of him he plays the run and tackles well. He's just not great in coverage. If the DL gets to the QB
in 3 seconds or less more often than not this season, the safeties won't matter. Now look at the Rams, they focused on the front 7 all the way and much less on the backend.

I’m not bent out of shape about it. I think we did okay.

However, I’m skeptical of being able to pressure our way to defend the pass. Kansas City couldn’t and they had three potential 15 sack guys in their front including the second best interior rusher in football. Meanwhile every time they play NE, patriots throw 50% of their plays in the short middle or swing passes neutralizing the rush.

The 275 was awful. However the week before a better running team was shut down by the same defense. Football has tons of random outcomes with limited data points. Even if you want to examine the data against other successful teams you should look at more than one small sample to plan decisions.

Based on that game, you would pay Conner Williams $15mm and make Suh the highest paid defensive player on the field.