Cowboys Ranking In Available Salary Cap For The Next 3 Years

OriginalNameGuy

Reaction score
They should link up with the Rams front office for advice. They managed to get out of Gurley and Goff

Tussinman

Reaction score
Yeah no cap and they have like 8 starters that aren't under contract next year.

Even if you didn't want to overpay for those 8 (which is understandable) that's still 8 starters that you have to replace which is a big deal (you can really hope for like 2 or 3 starter level players in the draft which means you gotta sign somebody)

Sydla

Reaction score
Stephen shot himself in the foot with that deal.

"ToDd GuRlEy Is OuR fLoOr" paraphrasing of course

The stupidity of Elliott was long before Stephen made that comment.

The Cowboys showed discipline and intelligence in 2015 when they passed on overpaying (money and years) on Murray. Stephen and Jerry came out and said that the data and analytics showed TBs have a drop off after a certain amount of usage and they couldn't justify the years or dollars to Murray.

And then 5 years later, it was like they lost all the data and analytics that made them make a smart decision in 2015. They should have called Elliott's bluff and made him sit out. But Jerry, being the dumb *** that he is, believed Elliott was the difference in making a SB run.

Another bad Jerry Jones decision.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Start the rebuild right now. No more "win now" moves. A "win now" situation does not exists with Dak Prescott at QB.

Suffer through Dak for the next 3 years.

Have a solid foundation in place when Dak's contract is up and get a real QB in here.

Gotta go forward with that as the plan. If Dak somehow finds a way to win big games…. That’s all gravy.

But to fail to prepare for life after Dak asap— is simply preparing to fail.

Sydla

Reaction score
The Rams also knew when it was time to let a bad QB go.

Well, it was easier to move on from Goff's contract at that point. Also, the Rams not only moved Goff but they also gave the Lions a 3rd round pick and their first round picks in 2022 and 2023 for them to take on Goff.

So where are you trading Dak that will net you a starting caliber QB like Stafford? And if you don't get a starting caliber QB back, how do you propose to get one if you have to trade future first round picks to get someone to take on Dak's contract?

This isn't a defense of Dak but rather a discussion in reality when it comes to Dak. You can't move him and if you can, you are basically screwed as an organization because you'll likely have to trade assets you would need to try to get a different QB.

StylisticS

Reaction score
I wonder if I'm understanding this correctly as I'm ignorant on this. I am to understand the only reason Dak is back in 2023 is because if they did release him before his salary is guaranteed that year, the dead cap is to much to overcome? The Dead Cap in 2023 is 43 million down from 77 million in 2022. I believe this guaranteed part of his contract is paid this year so that's not a big deal after the 2022 season.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Players contracts are signed to be moved and made flexible. We have never been spenders in free agency.

Expect several restructures and re-signing of our own.
This right here. Just willful ignorance to think otherwise at this point.

Sydla

Reaction score
I wonder if I'm understanding this correctly. I am to understand the only reason Dak is back in 2023 is because if they did release him before his salary is guaranteed that year, the dead cap is to much to overcome? The Dead Cap in 2023 is 43 million down from 77 million in 2022. I believe this guaranteed part of his contract is paid this year so that's not a big deal after the 2022 season.

Yes, Dak's base for 2023 becomes guaranteed on the 5th day of this coming league year. If they cut him before that as a regular cut, they'd have to advance $44 million against this year's cap. They simply couldn't do that even if they wanted because they are alread over the cap and would have to just gut the roster to make the room to absorb his additional dead money hit.

Now, they could make him a June 1 cut and it appears it would be a net zero savings this year but you'd have to account for $44 million in dead money in 2023.

Sydla

Reaction score
This right here. Just willful ignorance to think otherwise at this point.

Actually it's not willful ignorance. It's an understanding of the cap and the current situation the Cowboys are in. The Cowboys are extremely limited in what they can and can't do in the next few offseasons. Even moreso than previous offseasons where they had some decent cap space but nickel and dimed it in FA. They may have to go even deeper into the FA barrel this time around.

It's also easy to say, hey just restructure some guys, but have you guys actually looked at the big contracts that could be restructured? There actually aren't a lot of ideal options. You want to restructure Elliott? That would be idiotic. Cooper makes a bit of sense. But there aren't a ton of great restructure options that don't carry a lot of risk down the road.

And let's also note, that we are already $13 million over the cap for 2022. So if people are thinking just restructure a guy or two and then we can can hit FA, note we have to restructure just to get into cap compliance. FA is going to be lean this year. Leaner than even the lean previous years.

MajesticRey

Reaction score
The Rams also knew when it was time to let a bad QB go.

And replaced their bad QB with another QB who has done diddly squat.

This playoff run remains to be seen, but I’m willing to bet Stafford doesn’t get past Brady or Rodgers if LA manages to beat Arizona.

But yeah, bad contracts have ruined this team. Should have never paid Fat Ewok (Zeke) that much for so long, and we should have tagged Dak instead of what we did.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Yes, Dak's base for 2023 becomes guaranteed on the 5th day of this coming league year. If they cut him before that as a regular cut, they'd have to advance $44 million against this year's cap. They simply couldn't do that even if they wanted because they are alread over the cap and would have to just gut the roster to make the room to absorb his additional dead money hit.

Now, they could make him a June 1 cut and it appears it would be a net zero savings this year but you'd have to account for $44 million in dead money in 2023.
So I am looking it correctly. Thanks. Basically he is here in 2023 and can be gone after that season.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
You have a solid foundation to build around.

Pollard, Lamb, Schultz, Parson, Diggs.
It’s disturbing that we have no young quarterback, offensive and defensive linemen. That is usually the foundation of teams. This needs to be a meat and potatoes draft. Pollard and Shultz are JAGS.

Sydla

Reaction score
So I am looking it correctly. Thanks. Basically he is here in 2023 and can be gone after that season.

Pretty much. There is a possible trade option where if you traded him post June 1, you'd actually save $20 million on the cap (because while yes, we'd have guaranteed his 2022 base salary of $20 million, the team trading for him inherits the obligation to pay him that guaranteed $20 million and also the 2023 base salary of $31 million that was guaranteed on the 5th day of the 2022 league year).

But that's about as likey to happen as Jerry quitting as GM.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Actually it's not willful ignorance. It's an understanding of the cap and the current situation the Cowboys are in. The Cowboys are extremely limited in what they can and can't do in the next few offseasons. Even moreso than previous offseasons where they had some decent cap space but nickel and dimed it in FA. They may have to go even deeper into the FA barrel this time around.

It's also easy to say, hey just restructure some guys, but have you guys actually looked at the big contracts that could be restructured? There actually aren't a lot of ideal options. You want to restructure Elliott? That would be idiotic. Cooper makes a bit of sense. But there aren't a ton of great restructure options that don't carry a lot of risk down the road.

And let's also note, that we are already $13 million over the cap for 2022. So if people are thinking just restructure a guy or two and then we can can hit FA, note we have to restructure just to get into cap compliance. FA is going to be lean this year. Leaner than even the lean previous years.
We never sign anyone and the ones we do sign hardly make an impact. So we will have this hand wringing over the cap situation leading up to free agency. The restructures will happen. Then The Who are they gonna sign questions start flying and then we wait a week or so to land our guys. It’s the same song and dance in the off season just like the season is.

Carson

Reaction score
It’s disturbing that we have no young quarterback, offensive and defensive linemen. That is usually the foundation of teams. This needs to be a meat and potatoes draft. Pollard and Shultz are JAGS.
How the hell are Schultz and Pollard JAGS????

baltcowboy

Reaction score
How the hell are Schultz and Pollard JAGS????
You would give them second contracts? Pollard had 6 touches compared to torn PCL Zeke’s 16. That tells me what the Cowboys think of him. Shultz takes advantage of Cooper and Lamb plus Dak’s poor arm talent.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Stephen doesn't give out win now contracts. He either extends his current players or goes for cheap free agents who might be able to outplay their contracts. We will be fine but i'd like to see how they handle DLAW, extend, restructure, or cut but he can't be paid 30 million a year.