Cowboys Ranking In Available Salary Cap For The Next 3 Years

JustChip

Reaction score
They should link up with the Rams front office for advice. They managed to get out of Gurley and Goff
Or the Eagles who’ve managed to move Bradford and Wentz. One can argue they’re no better now with Hurts, but they are because of the significantly lesser $ and, more importantly, the 3 first round picks.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Start the rebuild right now. No more "win now" moves. A "win now" situation does not exists with Dak Prescott at QB.

Suffer through Dak for the next 3 years.

Have a solid foundation in place when Dak's contract is up and get a real QB in here.
whats the last "win now" move we've made?

Sydla

Reaction score
We never sign anyone and the ones we do sign hardly make an impact. So we will have this hand wringing over the cap situation leading up to free agency. The restructures will happen. Then The Who are they gonna sign questions start flying and then we wait a week or so to land our guys. It’s the same song and dance in the off season just like the season is.

Except it won't be this year. One, they are starting almost $30 million in the hole compared to where they were in the 2021 offseason.

You guys are ignoring the reality that starting $13 million over the cap puts them in a hole that they haven't been in for years. And also note that you are talking about some pretty key players being FAs this year - Gallup, Gregory, etc. Most of those guys are going to have to be let go. They need to restructure some contracts that honestly, they shouldnt' be looking at restructuring just to get into cap compliance.

The Cowboys are in a position where they wont be able to add much talent in FA, are going to lose a decent sum of talent in FA and are basically going to be left hoping the draft delivers 2-3 starters.

Sydla

Reaction score
They should link up with the Rams front office for advice. They managed to get out of Gurley and Goff

The Rams traded Goff AND their 3rd round pick AND their first round picks in 2022 and 2023 to move on from his contract.

And they got a QB in return. So it was quite painful for them to move on from Goff. The Cowboys made this bed and it's going to be tough to get out of it for at least another year.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Players contracts are signed to be moved and made flexible. We have never been spenders in free agency.

Expect several restructures and re-signing of our own.

Problem with this philosophy is restructures tie the player to the team for many more years as it accumulates the dead cap at the end of the contract.

Do you really want to pay Ezekiel Elliot 15m$ a year into his 30’s?

Sydla

Reaction score
Problem with this philosophy is restructures tie the player to the team for many more years as it accumulates the dead cap at the end of the contract.

Listen to the Eagles fan. His boy genius Howie is choking on some can kicking himself, but they have a bit of daylight at least. We have none.

TWOK11

Reaction score
This has been extensively discussed

Dallas has the flexibility to free up about $47.5 million if they want to. That’s how we design our contracts, unlike some franchises like Philly and Oakland who backload everything from the start. We front load contacts with flexibility on the back end, when cutting players on big deals results in less dead cap space.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Actually it's not willful ignorance. It's an understanding of the cap and the current situation the Cowboys are in. The Cowboys are extremely limited in what they can and can't do in the next few offseasons. Even moreso than previous offseasons where they had some decent cap space but nickel and dimed it in FA. They may have to go even deeper into the FA barrel this time around.

It's also easy to say, hey just restructure some guys, but have you guys actually looked at the big contracts that could be restructured? There actually aren't a lot of ideal options. You want to restructure Elliott? That would be idiotic. Cooper makes a bit of sense. But there aren't a ton of great restructure options that don't carry a lot of risk down the road.

And let's also note, that we are already $13 million over the cap for 2022. So if people are thinking just restructure a guy or two and then we can can hit FA, note we have to restructure just to get into cap compliance. FA is going to be lean this year. Leaner than even the lean previous years.
Agreed. Restructures work when you have high level non-injury prone players early in there 2nd contract.

Like you said who the hell are they logically going to restructure ? Zeke, Cooper, D-law ? (lol at committing 2023 and 2024 to any of those 3).

TWOK11

Reaction score
Listen to the Eagles fan. His boy genius Howie is choking on some can kicking himself, but they have a bit of daylight at least. We have none.

Philly has no flexibility because almost all of their money is either already backloaded or already dead money owed. Philly will have to cut guys jus to sign their draft class this year.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
If they restructure Dak like they’ve done with Tyron and Martin , and it adds more years (of Dak) to free up cap space I am done as a fan.

Sydla

Reaction score
Philly has no flexibility because almost all of their money is either already backloaded or already dead money owed. Philly will have to cut guys jus to sign their draft class this year.

That's not true. They are $13 million over the cap right now. We are $13 million under the cap.

They are in a better situation than we are. Certainly not great but better than we are. They also have like 13 draft picks, 3 in the first 19 picks, which wil help them fill out a roster given their limited cap situation.

Carson

Reaction score

It's not my way of doing business.

But it's what Dallas seems to do.

brickman

Reaction score
Players contracts are signed to be moved and made flexible. We have never been spenders in free agency.

That certainly will be the recipe for success.

Bigdog

Reaction score

So we like our guys mantra, lol.

Sydla

Reaction score
And my fear is that Dallas convinces themselves this year was a blip for Elliott and restructures him again kicking more cap hits into the future.

Carson

Reaction score
So we like our guys mantra, lol.
I mean we can count the amount of big name free agents we've paid for in the last 15-20 years on one hand. Brandon Carr and probably 1-2 other guys.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I mean we can count the amount of big name free agents we've paid for in the last 15-20 years on one hand. Brandon Carr and probably 1-2 other guys.
I was just messing with you but you are right

yentl911

Reaction score
Start the rebuild right now. No more "win now" moves. A "win now" situation does not exists with Dak Prescott at QB.

Suffer through Dak for the next 3 years.

Have a solid foundation in place when Dak's contract is up and get a real QB in here.
What win now moves are you taking about???

AKATheRake

Reaction score
We’ll be getting lots of compensatory picks with players not getting resigned and leaving in FA:

Randy Gregory (Take the comp pick)

Dalton Shultz (If they can give them Jarwins money to stay I keep him. Otherwise take the comp pick and look in the 2nd to 4th round for a TE that blocks and catches well.)%

Michael Gallup (MM has a history of drafting and/or picking up a FA for depth at this position)

Cedric Wilson (He’s going to get more than we paid him this year, we draft or pickup a FA)

Tony Pollard (I’m willing to take 1 of the top 3 rbs in round 2 to 3 Walker III slated to be around at our pick in the 2nd. We need to get back to running effectively to help both sides of the ball)

LVE (Take the comp pick)
Keanu Neal
Damontae Kazee
Connor Williams (Take the comp pick, put Collins at LG and Steele at RT, look for a center, even a FA vet)

That’s 6 to 8 starters that we should get compensation for. Should get a 3 and 4th rounder where we can get a player or 2 if we draft the way we have.

I think they keep guys on the cheap like Malik Hooker and try to sign Kearse long term.

Then these are the contracts we’re looking at:

Blake Jarwin (I would cut, save the 4.25 million or give to Shultz and draft.)

DLaw ($27,000,000 but $19,000,000 in dead cap if released. Maybe he takes a pay cut. Not likely. I can’t see anymore restructuring here)

Amari Cooper (You save $20,000,000 salary but $6,000,000 of the signing bonus gets accelerated into your cap if traded or released. I say keep him and if not I believe he still has trade value. Plus Lambs on a rookie deal and Malik Turner may have earned himself a promotion. There’s not an overspend at the WR position overall now.)

Zeke (You can’t move him for at least 1 more season. We have to be able to run the ball for this team to be successful and I’m good using a 2nd round pick on a rb like Walker who can help us do that whether Zeke can start every game or not. Walker is a true starter at RB and allows us to do whatever we need to with Zeke the year after and during next season. Zeke should be back healthy next season but clearly should be in a 1 to punch like Chubb and Hunt.)