Twitter: Cowboys RBs in the Passing Game Are Almost Useless

Cmac

Reaction score
Somehow KMoore's immunity surfaces when analyzing plays called, when they're called, why they're called and who they are called for. Our next HC.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
And not an accurate pass. Dak has very little touch and it shows the most in his passes to the RB's - If Zeke does not get the pass in stride very little is going to come from it.

It's the same on WR screens. The pass needs to be on time & on target to set up the blocking & allow receiver a chance to work upfield. It rarely is.

In our case, our blocking is also horrible. So, you are really fighting uphill when neither aspect is good.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
On the upside, we still rank ahead of this play:

What was any other QB going to do given that immediate pressure & to keep your season alive you had to get the ball out of your hands??

Jimmy does some headscratching things at times but people acting like this play is on Jimmy is just ridiculous.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was not some nobody fullback.. that was Chris Gronkowski.. One of Gronk's older brothers. But yeah that whiff resulted in Romo's first broken collarbone.
Being Gronk's brother doesn't really mean anything about his ability to play in the NFL. I have a brother too, but he's not nearly as handsome and charming as I am.

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Being Gronk's brother doesn't really mean anything about his ability to play in the NFL. I have a brother too, but he's not nearly as handsome and charming as I am.

I was just responding to the "no name" part.. The Gronkowski name was already pretty well known by then.. I think Chris was the third of the four brothers to make it to the NFL. I think two were tight ends and two were fullbacks. But only one of them got to play with Brady.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was just responding to the "no name" part.. The Gronkowski name was already pretty well known by then.. I think Chris was the third of the four brothers to make it to the NFL. I think two were tight ends and two were fullbacks. But only one of them got to play with Brady.
In fairness, he said he was a "nobody" player, not a "no name" player, and in terms of NFL status Chris Gronk would pretty easily qualify as a nobody.

And the good news is I'm still much better looking than my brother.

starfan1

Reaction score

you do know you have 0 credibility when it comes to zeke. You’d defend him if he banged your significant other

that said Dak is part of the problem as well . Pollard is better at pretty much everything but blocking

Loso86

Reaction score

Cavanaugh was losing his mind on the air earlier over these stats.

So not only are we running Zeke up the middle into a pile of men every running play, but we are also getting the worst production out of RBs when we throw them the ball as well?

Yikes, Kellen (and Philbin).

7 times out of 10 Dak throws it late to the RBs and not in space this offense is weird man the OC and the QB should be working together Right now. I'm not taking the Rbs back or against the Qb and OC just going off of what I've seen and noticed. Dak is so late with his progressi9ns and reads often that open guys are no longer open by the time he gives it to them. With that said Zeke shouldn't be out there to receive alot use 88 or 20 more. Zeke has become just a pound it guy

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
One thing I notice with Dak is that when that flat read isn't his first read, he throws it late a lot. It doesn't give the HB / WR the best oppurtunity to do anything with it.
I have made that same observation. Too often, I feel that Dak wants to make a bigger play down the field instead of accepting what the defense gives him. I have shouted several times at the television for him to hit Zeke immediately in the flat while he is still in motion.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Cavanaugh was losing his mind on the air earlier over these stats.

So not only are we running Zeke up the middle into a pile of men every running play, but we are also getting the worst production out of RBs when we throw them the ball as well?

Yikes, Kellen (and Philbin).

I think this has more to do with how we utilize our RBs in the passing game. No one can tell me Zeke AND Pollard are both among the 5 worst receivers in the league. Our scheme is just that bad.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Brady checked down to the RB very quickly. Dak stares down the receivers to long waiting them to come open. I think these plays are to long developing. He has to wait for them to make the break to get open. The safeties can read his eyes.. these routes should he broken off 10 yards shorter..

Agree. Moore using Garrett’s passing trees and passes take forever to develop while defense knows what’s coming and are already there so the receiver is covered. We’d be better off if Dak didn’t waste time looking downfield and immediately checked down to the back in the flat. Pretty pathetic.

Ken

Reaction score
Which part?

Have you ever watched Zeke try to adjust for one of daks off target check downs ?
It's pretty sad to watch.
It is sad because Dak puts it in a place where almost any other RB would be able to get it (see 2nd to last drive vs SF where it was dumped to him but he just couldn't get to it because it would have required him to actually be able to accelerate) but with him it is an adventure.

DonaldM

Reaction score
Jerry is on it. We will be better next year. More JW Blue.

Creeper

Reaction score
And not an accurate pass. Dak has very little touch and it shows the most in his passes to the RB's - If Zeke does not get the pass in stride very little is going to come from it.

I was going to respond to the OP the same way. Whenever Dak is throwing to Pollard or Zeke in the flat the ball is always somewhere where the back has to twist, turn, stop, bend, leap or otherwise take himself out of position to make a cut and make the fist defender miss. The RBs who are best at this have Qbs that hit them in stride so they can accelerate immediately and make a move to get the tackler out of position. In the off season Dak should throw about 100 of these throws every day until it is automatic for him to hit the RB in stride. But also, Zeke does not seem to be very sure handed either.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Targeting a RB five times in a game on 2 yard routes is losing football...who's designing this stuff, and what veteran QB would follow thru with it?