Signed by Cowboys Cowboys re-sign David Irving

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't understand why they didn't offer him a multi year contract on the cheap. Sometimes you just have to take the risk on potential. We're pretty much going to audition him for other teams and if he plays extremely well, some team is going to come up and scoop him up by pricing him out of our range.
We still have him next year for 3m on a 2nd round tender as a RFA

No need to rush these types

ksadler1

Reaction score
I'll admit I was a bit disappointed. I expected to see a 2 or 3 year deal. I'd hate to lose the guy if he has a really good year. I would have made it a couple years with incentives.....

Jeffkills

Reaction score
Finally some offseason good news.

tenor.gif

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Are the Cowboys only limited to signing him for this amount?

Irving’s exclusive rights tender will end up being a one-year contract worth $615,000 for the 2017 season.

conner01

Reaction score
I don't understand why they didn't offer him a multi year contract on the cheap. Sometimes you just have to take the risk on potential. We're pretty much going to audition him for other teams and if he plays extremely well, some team is going to come up and scoop him up by pricing him out of our range.
They may have, but why would he agree to it? The reality is if he can show consistency this year, he has a chance at a huge contract next year

kevm3

Reaction score
They may have, but why would he agree to it? The reality is if he can show consistency this year, he has a chance at a huge contract next year

At least take the risk of seeing if he would agree to a reasonable, multi-year deal as opposed to auditioning him for another team and letting him get some massive contract with another club if he performs better than expectations. Sometimes you have to take risks on a guy. In regards to Crawford syndrome, we'd potentially be worse off if he performed great this year, and then we gave him a fat cat contract for 5 years and then he started slacking off as opposed to shooting for a 2 to 4 year contract right now that is more reasonably priced but we're giving to him as a sort of investment of faith that he will perform, which will end up being a bargain if he does.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Nice to see this. It's good to see he'll be back this year. Nevertheless, if he's destined to make the big bucks, he'll be obliged to show improved consistency in the weeks and months to come.

Irving has been one of our most exceptional youngsters to offer tangible hope for our d-line's future development. Here's hoping his upside materializes in a big way during this season and beyond.

He might very well see some competition from a young rookie d-lineman or two this preseason. Hopefully, that might serve to produce some beneficial challenges for our young, aspiring "rushmen" in training camp.

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
At least take the risk of seeing if he would agree to a reasonable, multi-year deal as opposed to auditioning him for another team and letting him get some massive contract with another club if he performs better than expectations. Sometimes you have to take risks on a guy. In regards to Crawford syndrome, we'd potentially be worse off if he performed great this year, and then we gave him a fat cat contract for 5 years and then he started slacking off as opposed to shooting for a 2 to 4 year contract right now that is more reasonably priced but we're giving to him as a sort of investment of faith that he will perform, which will end up being a bargain if he does.
They may have offered a longer deal
But it takes two to tango and if I'm the player I want to get to free agency