Signed by Cowboys Cowboys re-sign Jourdan Lewis

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
$5 million a year for a guy to be the 4th corner seems crazy to me.

Lewis is currently our usual "veteran bridge starter". If we draft a CB high, and he pans out in camp, either Lewis or Brown are pushed down the depth chart.

We gave that Carroll CB like 4mil and I don't think he even made the season roster. 5mil isn't that bad. Prices have risen.

Reactions: CWR

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It is. This is a commitment. In a year where one-year prove it deals are the norm, not the exception, a little odd.

I like Lewis as a 3rd or 4th corner based off of raw production. I do think he got a raw deal from the Kris Richard thing and he quite frankly was not great last year.

I just don't see any reason to sign him for multiple years unless I was trying to play funny money with the contract.
Im neutral on it. Id prefer a clean slate in the secondary with the exception of Diggs, Wilson and for now Brown. If we are bringing Lewis back, Id much prefer we could move in after 2021 with no dead cap. However the money is pretty small, its not even alot for a #3. If bring another guy in FA, or draft one at 10, you'll have a playable CB at your 4th spot. I think I would rather do this deal than give Awuzie the contract he got and lock him in as a starter

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Well, Lewis may not be better than Awuzie; but their careers have at least been comparable and the Cowboys are paying $6 million less for Lewis than the Bengals are paying Awuzie.

odd that the BenGals didn’t go after Lewis....

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
For those complaining about this signing, sure I too would like to see outside signings to upgrade other positions. However, in today's NFL this isn't a big contract for a corner up until last year graded out fairly well on the field. 2020 was a disaster for Nolan and the Cowboys. Hard to fairly assess many of those players, so willing to give Lewis a chance to show what he can do in a better scheme.

For the glass half empty guys a lot of those dbs you want are still out there, along with other defensive upgrades at LB and Dline. Free agency is only a couple days in.
Well thought-out post, I agree.

Majic

Reaction score
I wouldn't have re-signed him. Didn't like what I saw against the Giants in week 17 and gives up too many PI calls. Surely we can find someone better, can't we?

Londonboy

Reaction score
That’s an expensive bod.
Nah, if You look at the structure of the contract it's Yr 1 cheap, Yr 2 cheapish or bye bye if You sucked in Yr 1, Yr3 if You do good We've got You for a reasonable price or bye bye after Yr 2.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
looks like brown, Lewis, and diggs.

not exactly the a team.
giphy.gif

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The more I think about this signing, the more I don't like it! We have 4 main corners under contract, there will be no more fa signings at the position. It is set to add another outside corner via the draft: Diggs, Brown, Lewis, Robinson, Draft pick. They probably dived into the market and determined it was too expensive.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
So unless we pickup another CB in the draft, this is what we're rolling with:

Diggs, Brown, Lewis, Canady, Robinson (CB/S?), Goodwin

Missing anyone?

Last edited: