Cowboys reality check: Taking the temperature of Jason Garrett’s seat

Batman1980

Reaction score
Hasn't attendance been down a bit lately at the Death Star though? Tells me even the die hards are starting to get sick of this mess.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hasn't attendance been down a bit lately at the Death Star though? Tells me even the die hards are starting to get sick of this mess.
Cowboys haven’t missed a home sellout since Dec 1990.

The Diehards are staying away but they’re brokering their tickets out and opposing fans are buying them up.

Cowboys continue to lead not only the NFL but all professional sports in revenue which even with a minimal downturn hardly is cause for any alarm or change in Jerry’s ways.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Cowboy fans want a Hot Seat I’d suggest not continuing to provide the seal of approval we do with our financial support.

If we’re having a bad season or down era Jerry should feel the pinch not the same revenue flow.

Otherwise it comes off quite hypocritical like calling out any product you choose while still continuing to purchase it.

Last time I checked the Cowboys are an optional entertainment not a necessary necessity except for those addicted crackhead Cowboy fans. Lol

Batman1980

Reaction score
If Cowboy fans want a Hot Seat I’d suggest not continuing to provide the seal of approval we do with our financial support.

Otherwise it comes off quite hypocritical like calling out any product you choose while still continuing to purchase it.

Last time I checked the Cowboys are an optional entertainment not a necessary necessity except for those addicted crackhead Cowboy fans. Lol

I haven't paid for a Cowboys jersey since the 90s. I've never paid for a Cowboys game ticket. I will not financially support this product until it becomes at least slightly palatable.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Here’s the question I have...

Who’s handicapping this team worse?

Jerry or Jason?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hard to believe Garrett was the NFL Head Coach of the Year just a couple of years ago.
No more incredible that our QB was Rookie of the year and in the running for MVP.

Hard to see that now. Things change. This is the NFL. What have you done for me lately.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone knows that Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett is on a hot seat this season. His name is mentioned in countless articles, including being mentioned by two writers in this one at ESPN. Even though not a single game has been played, and teams have not even started training camp, he is reportedly at more peril than the majority of NFL coaches.

And that is all subject to change as soon as wins and losses start piling up.

If the Cowboys get off to a bad, or even mediocre, start this season, then the likelihood of Garrett being fired is good, no doubt. But all he has to do to cool things off is win. If the team is, say, 6-2 at the halfway point, all the talk about a hot seat will die off. It will come up again if the team makes the playoffs, but again, it is all about whether he can get a win or two in the postseason.

The hotseat argument is really something of a fallacy, because almost every head coach in the NFL is coaching for his job every year. Pile up those wins, and you can expect to come back next season. Have your team slump to the cellar, or just fall apart in general, and it may be time to get the old resume updated.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...taking-the-temperature-of-jason-garretts-seat
To me, authors of the “hot seat” articles that include Jason Garrett fail to understand that the Cowboys organization refuses to embrace what 30 other NFL teams do: Accountability for failure matters.

The fact that this organization not only accepts excuses for a lack of success the last 23 years, they actually roll out excuses publicly with a smile on their faces. The lack of accountability here is the fly in this team’s secret sauce and the cancer that undermines whatever talent they manage to gather.

As long as Jerry Jones runs this organization like he has for so long, overcoming that lack of accountability and excuse making is something this team must overcome every year, before they even put pads on. Accountability is not a joke. If you want to win in this league, the owner must hold the GM and the coaching staff accountable for results with zero excuses accepted. To do otherwise and then act surprised when you go two decades plus without winning much in the playoffs is “the Jerry way”.

Last edited:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
To me, authors of the “hot seat” articles that include Jason Garrett fail to understand that the Cowboys organization refuses to embrace what 30 other NFL teams do: Accountability for failure matters.

The fact that this organization not only accepts excuses for a lack of success the last 23 years, they actually roll out excuses publicly with a smile on their faces. The lack of accountability here is the fly in this team’s secret sauce and the cancer that undermines whatever talent they manage to gather.

As long as Jerry Jones runs this organization like he has for so long, overcoming that lack of accountability and excuse making is something this team must overcome every year, before they even put pads on. Accountability is not a joke. If you want to win in this league, the owner must hold the GM and the coaching staff accountable for results with zero excuses accepted. To do otherwise and then act surprised when you go two decades plus without winning much in the playoffs is “the Jerry way”.

That's part of the problem. Jerry is by nature a salesman, so accountability and failures aren't viewed the same way. The way he says that JG wasn't ready as he's learning. It's a good thing because he's gaining valuable experience and will make him a better coach in the future. The same way holes in your shoes are a positive thing, those aren't holes they're air vents to keep your feet cool. Those aren't flaws, they're selling features. :muttley:

waving monkey

Reaction score

I can see your point but I believe because of the very points your making Jones gives the long leash.
All those brutal 22 years of mediocre or bad teams is the very reason Jones turned to Garrett out of desperation.
The short cycle of hiring and firing had beaten Jones down and he is wants more SB more then many body thinks.

Now if Garrett produces another stinker season then 2019 might be Garrett last. Jones is hoping that continuity will be the answer.
Since SJones has more influence I see an organization of structure rather then impulse. The leash is two more years then there has to be play offs in the season or probably Garrett is gone.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
If we had a quality coach we wouldn't have this problem. Jason's going nowhere unless the team completely falls apart. I've excepted that but I'll still complain about it. lol

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not too sure JG's seat is any hotter than many other coaches who have logged a mix of mediocre seasons along with some better ones. That's not to say that he's exempt from blame if the FO deems that he's not producing wins as prolifically as he should. It's no big secret that Jerry and Stephen have both been up front about expressing their admiration for Garrett in the past.

Of course, there's a limit to how long any FO may be inclined to tolerate mediocrity if that's, indeed, what lies ahead. Whether JG eventually outwears his welcome in Dallas or not remains to be seen.

Last edited:

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Here’s the question I have...

Who’s handicapping this team worse?

Jerry or Jason?

Flip a coin.... One destroys the franchise with his greed, the other with his incompetence. But they both equally suck at their respective jobs.

As far as the temperature of JG's seat is concerned, I liken it to this song:

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
JG has built in excuses due to the high turnover rate of staff and players this year lol... Probably bought himself at least 2 years to try and implement the "process". That said-- it was pretty clear after watching "All or Nothing" that the FO truly believes they are talented enough to compete for a SB. They were dismayed and surprised they missed the playoffs.

Stephen seems to be running operations more and more these days, and he comes off like he believes in the decisions they have made and thinks the gap between Dallas and Philly is really narrow. Should we utterly crater this year and finish 6-10 or worse, I can see the FO cleaning house. For whatever reason, the Jones' have fallen in love with JG and think he's a brilliant coach and have overlooked mediocre results-- but all things come to an end. I either hope we absolutely destroy people next year and everything comes together, or we absolutely tank. I don't want another 7-9/9-7 dose of mediocrity that maintains the status quo.

I have never been a fan of Garrett, and believe it was a clear mistake not to fire him after 2015. That said-- I have accepted the reality of the situation and love this team too much not to hope like hell the blind squirrel finds a nut in 2018 lol. Winning and success breeds more winning and success. This is a very young team. IF they are able to gain some traction and get some wins under their belt, they may be able to harness some swagger and develop their identity as smash mouth bullies in the NFL.

It starts with thumping the rivals in the division.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I see a lot of posters that don't have love for certain aspects of the Cowboys. With some, it's coaching and more specifically, Jason Garrett. With some others, it's Jerry Jones. I don't think those two are going anywhere so let's talk about the more fluid situations going on here. We have obvious questions on this roster. Who's going to be our starting S? DT? WR? Do we have hidden gems at any of those positions? I think we do. At saftey it's Xavier Woods, at DT it's Jihad Ward and at WR it's Allen Hurns. These 3 guys are the ones I'm going to be focusing in on at TC. Expectations are high and I know I'm asking for a lot for any one of these 3 to be homeruns but I see 3 hidden gems. We'll have to wait and see if I'm right about these guys.