RELEASED Cowboys release fullback Olawale

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Losing Keith Smith in free agency and trading to the same team for Olawale was a horrible exchange for saving a few hundred thousand.
Was it really horrible? Smith has had a few touches that Olawale hasn't had, but only 27 over 3 years, and the results were horrible (5.6 yards per reception & 1.5 yards per carry). I don't see much of a loss.

Bigdog

Reaction score
He had as much of an impact as Rowdy, who should be next on the chopping block:)

Olawell that's too bad:laugh:
We are doing all these restructures and spreading out Dak's contract for an extension for Rowdy. Press conference will be coming in the next few weeks.

Carson

Reaction score
I remember people trying to argue this was a good pickup and showed his one touchdown catch with the Raiders lol

quickccc

Reaction score
Was it really horrible? Smith has had a few touches that Olawale hasn't had, but only 27 over 3 years, and the results were horrible (5.6 yards per reception & 1.5 yards per carry). I don't see much of a loss.

Just me but i'm not interested in Keith's touches with the football but more so what he did as an occasional bruising physical lead blocking FB- and special teams.
Plus it would have been interesting if McCarthy had designed scheme and handled the backs ..and FBs like he did in Green Bay ala John Kuhn, vs the way (and misuse) Kellen does with the backs.

Olawale was never a true FB in any sense, but more of a big finesse RB just lining up and portraying a FB.
His best work was actually probably special teams when he was here..

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Carter was awful last year. Got destroyed on the edge over and over again. Like moved 5+ yards off his spot destroyed.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just me but i'm not interested in Keith's touches with the football but more so what he did as an occasional bruising physical lead blocking FB- and special teams.
Plus it would have been interesting if McCarthy had designed scheme and handled the backs ..and FBs like he did in Green Bay ala John Kuhn, vs the way (and misuse) Kellen does with the backs.

Olawale was never a true FB in any sense, but more of a big finesse RB just lining up and portraying a FB.
His best work was actually probably special teams when he was here..
Do we know how he did as a lead blocker, and do we know if he actually got much playing time? I'm not disputing it, but it's hard to assume anything without knowing those things.

The other factor is whether he would have been used like that in Dallas. The Cowboys haven't made significant use of a lead blocker in years, so I can't really say if Olawale's lack of impact as a lead blocker was more from lack of ability or lack of opportunity. I also can't say if Smith would have gotten any more of an opportunity.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Why are you looking at FB for production? Keith Smith was a much better lead blocker than Olawale ever was.