RELEASED Cowboys release fullback Olawale

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I liked him when we brought him in. Was a nice multi threat of blocking plus receiving.
We used him on one deep play. He got open. Dak missed him because of the rush. They never did much with him ever again.

Just crazy that they resigned him to a 3 year deal, *after* not using him for a year, and *then* didn't use him again.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Olawale was never a true FB in any sense, but more of a big finesse RB just lining up and portraying a FB.
His best work was actually probably special teams when he was here..

Kind of a small hback. Good hands and speed for his size. I liked the possibilities. We never used them.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
He had as much of an impact as Rowdy, who should be next on the chopping block:)

Olawell that's too bad:laugh:
He was actually a good FB before we got a hold of him.
We destroy FBs because we dont know what to do with one.
I thought once upon a time FBs were coveted in a west coast theme.

quickccc

Reaction score
Ben Mason from Michigan if we’re going traditional lead fullback.

Only if he goes undrafted.
i'm not for spending draft resources on a guy that is only gonna be such an occasional spot and very limited role player.

we got a undrafted LB turn FB in Keith Smith, same way to going undrafted rookie, street vet FA or pouched off another NFL team's
practice squad.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why did they hang on to him so long but use him so little? Waste of a roster spot 99% of the time
I think partly because he played special teams. I guess having a FB for those rare occasions we used one must have seemed preferable to keeping a 4th or 5th string safety or LB.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Terrible trade. Utterly terrible
I'm still at a loss to understand what was so great about Keith Smith. Maybe he was somewhat better than Olawale (maybe not - hard to say), but Smith has never distinguished himself, and it's not as if the Cowboys would have suddenly started using a FB dramatically more if Smith had stayed in Dallas. He was with the Cowboys 4 years and they didn't use him much.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So I guess we'll be looking at FB with the #10 pick. :laugh:............... just depends on who gets in Jerrys ear.

Carson

Reaction score
Just never saw him a fit for what McCarthy does. He’s mostly had guys like Kuhn and Ripkowski who are tough grinders. Olawale was always more finesse as a larger running back

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think partly because he played special teams. I guess having a FB for those rare occasions we used one must have seemed preferable to keeping a 4th or 5th string safety or LB.

Always thought we should have used him more. Just being on ST isn't enough unless they are one of the few that can make things happen and he wasn't one of them.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He was good on special teams is why

Like I said in the other reply i'd have like for him to be used more outside of ST. But i'm not for keeping a guy just for ST unless he's a difference maker, kicker, returner, etc.