RELEASED Cowboys releasing Collins

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
On the fifth day of the league year, which is Sunday, his 2022 salary becomes guaranteed which means the Cowboys could not cut him and get a salary CAP save. But they could still trade him and at that point his salary hits the CAP of the team that takes him. But his $10 million CAP save does not become official until June 1. By June 1 free agency is over and the draft will have been completed. But the thing is, teams who did not get the OT they wanted in the draft will be looking for free agents and trades. There is a much better chance they will get a draft pick in the summer than now. I just do not see the point in cutting a quality player like Collins and getting nothing in return.

I thought a team had time to sign their draft picks....the $10m covers the draft and couple of mill emergency money.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
My criticism isn't based on any of the guys we have parted ways with. It is based on who we aren't replacing them with. I give Dallas credit for one thing, they always keep me entertained. This is pure drama.

The CAP was overspent by $20m, we were never bringing in anyone and realistically we were going to have to release someone and the favorite was always Coop. We just have too many fa's from last years roster and holes to fill to be be replacing with big name signings.....then again we probably have money (the Gregory money) allocated for one player....but the price needs to be right.

CWR

Reaction score
The CAP was overspent by $20m, we were never bringing in anyone and realistically we were going to have to release someone and the favorite was always Coop. We just have too many fa's from last years roster and holes to fill to be be replacing with big name signings.....then again we probably have money (the Gregory money) allocated for one player....but the price needs to be right.

There were other options. We didn't have to go nuclear. There were half a dozen long term players we could've restructured and been 20-30 million under cap.

The cap excuse is pretty weak while we sit 40 million under.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
It’s nuclear winter time in Dallas. Collins singed his extension in September 2019. It’s March 2022 and the guy is released. 28 years old. IMO can still really play. This is the worst off season since Jerry’s special teams draft.

CWR

Reaction score
It’s nuclear winter time in Dallas. Collins singed his extension in September 2019. It’s March 2022 and the guy is released. 28 years old. IMO can still really play. This is the worst off season since Jerry’s special teams draft.

It's about as confusing an off season as I've ever seen. Combine it with the baby daddy stuff and up skirts, and it's a dumpster fire. Oh, and please, let's not forget our early playoff exit. I don't think people have been this critical of the FO since Jimmy's early dismissal.

You would think Jerry would be trying to make some positive news, but he continues to make the unpopular choice.

CWR

Reaction score
Like who?????

I'll probably only be about 80% accurate because I'm working off a BTB podcast I listened to about 6 weeks ago. Coop, Law, Martin, Smith and Dak are the ones that come to mind.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It's about as confusing an off season as I've ever seen. Combine it with the baby daddy stuff and up skirts, and it's a dumpster fire. Oh, and please, let's not forget our early playoff exit. I don't think people have been this critical of the FO since Jimmy's early dismissal.

You would think Jerry would be trying to make some positive news, but he continues to make the unpopular choice.

The unpopular choice is sometimes the correct choice, short term pain. We have kicked the can for 26 years. The 49ers game was a wake up call that that roster wasnt good enough ....add the $20m we were over the CAP AND the 2023 CAP issue (mainly due to the massive rise in Dak's contract), then we had to make that move.

We have a bit of CAP space in 2022, but look at the areas we are desperate in....RT, LG, LT, LB and then there's upgrades needed in SS (Kearse wont be cheap), WR x2

CWR

Reaction score
The unpopular choice is sometimes the correct choice, short term pain. We have kicked the can for 26 years. The 49ers game was a wake up call that that roster wasnt good enough ....add the $20m we were over the CAP AND the 2023 CAP issue (mainly due to the massive rise in Dak's contract), then we had to make that move.

We have a bit of CAP space in 2022, but look at the areas we are desperate in....RT, LG, LT, LB and then there's upgrades needed in SS (Kearse wont be cheap), WR x2

The rub is we went 12-5. Call us a fugazi or whatever, but a team capable of that record, with that level of talent, could very well justify being aggressive and making a hard push.

We went in another direction, but I think that started with retaining this staff. They appear to be setting up for something. If that's not the case none of this is justifiable. I'd love to believe there is a long term vision for this team. History, however, says differently.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I'll probably only be about 80% accurate because I'm working off a BTB podcast I listened to about 6 weeks ago. Coop, Law, Martin, Smith and Dak are the ones that come to mind.

We've already made those moves......there's no more realistic moves other than possibly restructuring Schulz. We've got $23m left (taking La'el's saving to pay for the draft class).

Not bad, but as mentioned above we need: RT, LG, LT, LB and then there's upgrades needed in SS (Kearse wont be cheap), WR x2

Also go and have a look at the CAP in 2023, not great especially as the contracts of Lamb, Diggs are coming up for renewal.

Yes we can start cutting the none productive Zeke (less than $5 saved) and poss Tyron, but we are then looking for a LT.

We are in a much better CAP place at the moment, but not totally out of it and there may be an acceptance that this year we may just tread water .....after all we arent a SB winning side at the moment, but play-offs are a distinct possibility.

Maybe keep back some money and then pick up the Millers and Odell's as trades when teams are offloading later on....take the contract and give away latter worthless picks rather than having to pay higher picks for the trading team to eat the salary.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The rub is we went 12-5. Call us a fugazi or whatever, but a team capable of that record, with that level of talent, could very well justify being aggressive and making a hard push.

We went in another direction, but I think that started with retaining this staff. They appear to be setting up for something. If that's not the case none of this is justifiable. I'd love to believe there is a long term vision for this team. History, however, says differently.

Really? You think last years team justified an all in approach? We played the 6th seed at home and lost. We need to judge where we are from playing winning teams, not from the 6 games against the Least.

Now take into account that this years roster (again, with the $20m CAP deficit) was never going to be as good ... especially as we were losing so many players to FA. Now we could of restructuring those already risky contracts (Zeke, Tyron and Tank), but the choice was that we needed to draw a line..... difficult to take, but I havent seen anyone draw out a better strategy.

Unfortunately, some people hear a figure and believe there isnt a problem....you need to take into account the whole picture, not just the bottom line.

CWR

Reaction score
We've already made those moves......there's no more realistic moves other than possibly restructuring Schulz. We've got $23m left (taking La'el's saving to pay for the draft class).

Not bad, but as mentioned above we need: RT, LG, LT, LB and then there's upgrades needed in SS (Kearse wont be cheap), WR x2

Also go and have a look at the CAP in 2023, not great especially as the contracts of Lamb, Diggs are coming up for renewal.

Yes we can start cutting the none productive Zeke (less than $5 saved) and poss Tyron, but we are then looking for a LT.

We are in a much better CAP place at the moment, but not totally out of it and there may be an acceptance that this year we may just tread water .....after all we arent a SB winning side at the moment, but play-offs are a distinct possibility.

Maybe keep back some money and then pick up the Millers and Odell's as trades when teams are offloading later on....take the contract and give away latter worthless picks rather than having to pay higher picks for the trading team to eat the salary.

At the time we hadn't signed Gallup, Hooker and Armstrong or franchised Schultz. So, you'd have to subtract that off the top. I don't believe in a hard cap. I haven't seen it play out yet, not once.

Clearly, I'm not a cap expert. I'm only going off everything I've seen around the league for years. I've said this several times here, but until AdamJT comes on here and lays it out, I'll have a difficult time believing in cap purgatory. Bottom line is we keep who we want to keep. When was the last time we had a player we loved and let him go? Byron is close, but he couldn't get picks and ultimately, that's why he didn't get paid here.

Even if that is the case, it's hard to justify how we had 14 million per year to give to Randy, but not anyone else.

CWR

Reaction score
Really? You think last years team justified an all in approach? We played the 6th seed at home and lost. We need to judge where we are from playing winning teams, not from the 6 games against the Least.

Now take into account that this years roster (again, with the $20m CAP deficit) was never going to be as good ... especially as we were losing so many players to FA. Now we could of restructuring those already risky contracts (Zeke, Tyron and Tank), but the choice was that we needed to draw a line..... difficult to take, but I havent seen anyone draw out a better strategy.

Unfortunately, some people hear a figure and believe there isnt a problem....you need to take into account the whole picture, not just the bottom line.

Yes I think we were a few pieces and better coaching away from making noise. That's not a ridiculous thought.

How close do you think a team should get before they choose to be aggressive? You can't hit the ball if you don't swing the damn bat.

AND Zeke was never on the list to be restructured. I said long term guys. Zeke doesn't fit the bill.

fivetwos

Reaction score

It's not as if you're wrong, but should we not try to get better regardless?

We have a ton of dead money already against 2025, and tick tock on the Parsons and Diggs rookie deals.

Yes the cap will increase, but you're still in a compromised spot vs other teams who didn't do that.

They should be more aggressive about the next couple of seasons IMO because the Dak dead money is gonna sting when that time comes and it's gonna coincide with the two dudes above needing to be paid.