Signed by Cowboys Cowboys Resign McFadden to one year contract

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What is our fascination with 1 year contracts.

Constant turnover, lack of continuity (on the field), and dumpster diving for free agents is a horrible strategy.

Cowboys also have a core of players who will be remaining for the foreseeable future. Yes there are some like McFadden who is about to hit 30 with a 1 year deal as insurance for the Cowboys. You will not sign everyone to long term deals nor should they but keeping a key group together I think is big for this team. Dak, Zeke, the OL, Dez, Williams, Beasley

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You're right. I thought they'd snuck him through earlier in the year. But, yeah, they should have cut another player at that point. We had an extra running back, and let the wrong one go.
In hindsight it should have been Morris if they insisted on bringing DMC back

Kaiser

Reaction score
No they kept him active all year

We didn't need to bring DMC back for 24 carries when we had EE, Morris, DJax and Dunbar

Jerry just feel in love and refused to budge even after DMC broke his elbow messing around

I think the idea with DMC was to have him part of the playoffs and the team obviously wasn't planning on being eliminated by a superhuman performance by Aaron Rodgers.

Also Morris looked spent by the time DMC came back, he wasn't much of an option and Dunbar has always been a 3rd Down/Specialty back.

I wish we still had Jackson but I think people overestimate him here. There was a point where Ryan Williams was the RB everyone loved too and he didn't stick in the NFL after we cut him. I think Jackson can replaced pretty easily.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think the idea with DMC was to have him part of the playoffs and the team obviously wasn't planning on being eliminated by a superhuman performance by Aaron Rodgers.

Also Morris looked spent by the time DMC came back, he wasn't much of an option and Dunbar has always been a 3rd Down/Specialty back.

I wish we still had Jackson but I think people overestimate him here. There was a point where Ryan Williams was the RB everyone loved too and he didn't stick in the NFL after we cut him. I think Jackson can replaced pretty easily.

I'd agree. I think there's a lot of rueing about Jackson as if he'd proven anything. I'm sure we can find an apt replacement.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I think Jackson can replaced pretty easily.

Most late round picks can be "replaced". Just seems a waste to keep a player on the roster all year, then try to sneak him through waivers. These other teams scout too.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I'd agree. I think there's a lot of rueing about Jackson as if he'd proven anything. I'm sure we can find an apt replacement.

The year we drafted Inmate Randle there were a lot of RBs available in rounds 4 - 6 and Dallas clearly waited till the 5th to grab one because they knew a capable RB would be there. This draft seems like the same type of draft.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

It is just a little foresight

3 'free years' out of DJackson is much more valuable than a few carries from Morris or DMC......those are the guys that are a dime a dozen

Now we have to waste a draft pick just to get back to even

It was the dumbest move we made since counting on Randle to lead the RBBC

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Most late round picks can be "replaced". Just seems a waste to keep a player on the roster all year, then try to sneak him through waivers. These other teams scout too.
And they pounced on him.......several teams claimed him

We can't be GB Jrs and throw away draft picks and rookies instead of 30 yr old RBs

Are we a comp draft pick team or the UNICEF Loyalty Squad......the 'Do-Righters'......'DMC was so nice in 2015 we want to pay him for all of 2016 even though he has a broken arm that won't ever heal"

Kaiser

Reaction score
It was the dumbest move we made since counting on Randle to lead the RBBC

Mehh. Hard to predict that one of your players will start hearing voices in his head, I dont fault Dallas for that.

And the RBBC was the right decision and was their third option. First was DeMarco taking a reasonable deal and second was bringing in a draft pick. When they didn't overpay in either situation, they went with the committee and still got 1500 yards rushing out of the group that included your bestie DMC, the underwear bandit and scrap heap guys like Robert Turbin.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Mehh. Hard to predict that one of your players will start hearing voices in his head, I dont fault Dallas for that.

And the RBBC was the right decision and was their third option. First was DeMarco taking a reasonable deal and second was bringing in a draft pick. When they didn't overpay in either situation, they went with the committee and still got 1500 yards rushing out of the group that included your bestie DMC, the underwear bandit and scrap heap guys like Robert Turbin.
I ain't buying and you stop selling that the RBBC was a success by any measure except that it drove us straight into Zeke's loving arms

Verdict

Reaction score
Didn't they cut him earlier in the season and get away with it?

I agree, though, it was a stupid decision that cost them a pick and a player they reportedly liked.

I am not as upset about the player as the thought process. Why risk a guy you like to keep a guy you like less? That is really pretty stupid if you think about it.

Verdict

Reaction score
You'd think, with some of the guys we do the one year deals with, we could insist on a club option for year two, for sure.

I like the way you think. We could use someone like you at the negotiating table.

Verdict

Reaction score

Ahhh, the underwear bandit! Good times!!

I still don't get why we insisted on playing him in front of DMC. DMC was clearly a much better player and it's not like the underwear bandit was lighting the world on fire

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not as upset about the player as the thought process. Why risk a guy you like to keep a guy you like less? That is really pretty stupid if you think about it.

I agree on the process, but I also don't like that we lost the player. He was the young 3rd RB who could contribute on Its for us for a year and then move into McFadden's backup role next season. Now we're going to have to find one somewhere, and it'll probably end up being a UDFA rotational player like the ones we pick up and drop every offseason. Ben Malena, anybody?

Verdict

Reaction score
I agree on the process, but I also don't like that we lost the player. He was the young 3rd RB who could contribute on Its for us for a year and then move into McFadden's backup role next season. Now we're going to have to find one somewhere, and it'll probably end up being a UDFA rotational player like the ones we pick up and drop every offseason. Ben Malena, anybody?

Yeah, I agree with everything you just said. We pissed off a draft pick too.

I am just saying that thought process that the team used was stupidity at its finest in action unless there is something we don't know about going on behind the scenes.

Verdict

Reaction score

What makes it even worse is that we seemed to value Dunbar and he really hadn't been worth a **** since his injury.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Ahhh, the underwear bandit! Good times!!

I still don't get why we insisted on playing him in front of DMC. DMC was clearly a much better player and it's not like the underwear bandit was lighting the world on fire

I think DMC wasn't completely healthy and Randle knew the scheme better, so they ended up starting Randle