Cowboys rookie Caelen Carson already climbing cornerback depth chart

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This is kind of a surprise but nice to hear.

In a recent mailbag article for Cowboys dot com, team reporters Nick Harris and Mickey Spagnola discussed what role 2021 fifth-round pick Israel Mukuamu could have this season. Per Harris, Mukuamu worked almost exclusively with the second-team defense in OTAs and minicamp.

Cowboys fans would like Mukuamu to get more run as a nickel cornerback after he locked down Buccaneers wide receiver Chris Godwin in the playoffs two years ago. At 6-4 and 205 pounds with the strength and explosiveness of a safety, Mukuamu could seemingly line up against wide receivers and tight ends.

According to Harris, though, Juanyeh Thomas, Markquese Bell and Carson (!) all saw snaps with the first-team defense in spring practices.

Carson's inclusion on the first-team is notable for multiple reasons. It's unclear what other cornerbacks practiced with the starters but it sounds like the Wake Forest product is no worse than fourth or fifth on the depth chart. That's an impressive start for a rookie, let alone a day three pick.

Carson was widely viewed as a top-100 overall prospect in the 2024 class. The Cowboys selected him with the 174th overall pick in round five, which speaks to the value of the pick. With ideal length to disrupt passes, a high football IQ and great tackling instincts, Carson is the perfect development CB for defensive backs coach Al Harris.

Whether that translates to Carson playing a ton in year one remains to be seen, but he could push for a significant role with a strong training camp and preseason. There's nobody proven on the depth chart behind starters Trevon Diggs, DaRon Bland and Jourdan Lewis, and he's clearly leapfrogged Mukuamu in the pecking order.

From where we're standing, Carson is on a level playing field with 2023 fifth-round pick Eric Scott Jr. and 2021 third-round pick Nahshon Wright. He might even have a leg up on his new teammates.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have a chance at 4 or more starters from this class. Which is great but when your entire offseason philosophy is to do nothing but draft you have to grade then on a curve. They're more likely to start draft picks because it's their only avenue to replenish the roster.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Cowboys have a chance at 4 or more starters from this class. Which is great but when your entire offseason philosophy is to do nothing but draft you have to grade then on a curve. They're more likely to start draft picks because it's their only avenue to replenish the roster.
I knew you would figure out a way to crap on a Cowboy rookie doing all he can to make the team.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I realize that there is the offseason propaganda thing that goes around Dallas but let's be honest, did we ever get hype articles about Nashon Wright? I don't recall if we did.

Overall, there are a few signs that this isn't a bad draft class. After last year, its a welcome relief. Out of the class, I wouldn't be surprised if 6 of them are on the active game day roster getting snaps.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I realize that there is the offseason propaganda thing that goes around Dallas but let's be honest, did we ever get hype articles about Nashon Wright? I don't recall if we did.

Overall, there are a few signs that this isn't a bad draft class. After last year, its a welcome relief. Out of the class, I wouldn't be surprised if 6 of them are on the active game day roster getting snaps.
Training camp and the preseason games are going to be fun this year. Lots of competition with many starting positions up for grabs. And we finally get to see Lance in some real action.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I was hoping all offseason they would add another vet CB or even look at bringing back Gilmore, but have to admit that I feel better and better about this unit the closer we get to camp. Honestly it probably comes down to the health of Diggs. If he is 100% or at least close to it this unit should be pretty good. If not we may see some struggles. I love Bland but we saw last year, especially in the Seattle game that hes probably more a #2 corner unless he can take another step forward.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Training camp and the preseason games are going to be fun this year. Lots of competition with many starting positions up for grabs. And we finally get to see Lance in some real action.
I'm negative about the overall team right now but its just this year. I actually agree with Jerry using this as a reset year and I think he is laying a good talent base to continue success. I don't see the team having multi years of bad play like many do when they have to reset.

Seeing the youngsters this year will be fun. I'm particularly curious about the young DB's and WR's. Flournoy should get a thread.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas ends up being one of the youngest teams in the league this year. I think people are losing sight of that.

Qcard

Reaction score
:hammer:

John813

Reaction score
Carson's inclusion on the first-team is notable for multiple reasons. It's unclear what other cornerbacks practiced with the starters but it sounds like the Wake Forest product is no worse than fourth or fifth on the depth chart. That's an impressive start for a rookie, let alone a day three pick.

It's promising, but it's a depth chart written in pencil.
What will truly make ore break his chances at being dressed will occur a month from now and into the preseason games.

Hopefully, he's another steal, but too early to really eat the cheese on some reports in June.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Oh did we lol……Nashon and Eric Scott both did.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
That's great. The comment about Wright confused me though. I'm only half a leg behind Wright & I'm in my mid 50's. So, Carson should be many legs ahead of him just by virtue of being a mostly functioning 20 something athlete.

If someone doesn't push him off the team, we in trouble regardless of what they load on the hype train.