Cowboys rookie Caelen Carson already climbing cornerback depth chart

Chasing6

Reaction score
The guys drafted this year will of course have a leg up in a competition for a roster spot with players selected by the previous regime.
"We like our guys."
"Our guys" are the guys *we* picked. Gotta make good on *our* picks.

Old regime DBs might has something of a chance with Harris staying.
Fans tend to forget at times the mental learning curve of the game. You can have all the measurables and physically tools, but if you are not at the right place at the right time you are pretty much useless. Some players take longer with this learn curve.

Carson apparently has demonstrated very early his knowledge of the game, his ability to learn the defense/responsibilities very quickly which builds Trust.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Fans tend to forget at times the mental learning curve of the game. You can have all the measurables and physically tools, but if you are not at the right place at the right time you are pretty much useless. Some players take longer with this learn curve.

Carson apparently has demonstrated very early his knowledge of the game, his ability to learn the defense/responsibilities very quickly which builds Trust.
IF the coaches do not trust you there is no play time unless there is literally no one else on the roster

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
How will you feel if they do extend Dak?
Numb, and shocked. Dak's chance was last year, and everything that could go wrong in the postseason went wrong, granted he cannot take the entire failure but rightfully so is/was the target. I as a fan of this team have seen enough and it's clear he is not the guy to take us to the promised land, only suited for regular-season success. Sure the wins will be there and he would love nothing else to win, he doesn't have "it". Honestly, there aren't many guys who do, and we don't have the proper pieces on both sides of the ball to hide his deficiencies. There are a whole host of other QB's who I would say the same about, but if a fan of those teams I would have more patience as these guys are young, not 8 year Vets

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Numb, and shocked. Dak's chance was last year, and everything that could go wrong in the postseason went wrong, granted he cannot take the entire failure but rightfully so is/was the target. I as a fan of this team have seen enough and it's clear he is not the guy to take us to the promised land, only suited for regular-season success. Sure the wins will be there and he would love nothing else to win, he doesn't have "it". Honestly, there aren't many guys who do, and we don't have the proper pieces on both sides of the ball to hide his deficiencies. There are a whole host of other QB's who I would say the same about, but if a fan of those teams I would have more patience as these guys are young, not 8 year Vets
You contradicted yourself. You said he cannot take all the blame and then put all the blame on him. He was NFL MVP runner up, and All Pro, Pro Bowler, led the league in TD’s, accuracy and some others as well as being top 5 in many others and in his prime. It’s incomprehensible why anyone would want to get rid of him. Not time for that yet.

quickccc

Reaction score
This is kind of a surprise but nice to hear.

In a recent mailbag article for Cowboys dot com, team reporters Nick Harris and Mickey Spagnola discussed what role 2021 fifth-round pick Israel Mukuamu could have this season. Per Harris, Mukuamu worked almost exclusively with the second-team defense in OTAs and minicamp.

Cowboys fans would like Mukuamu to get more run as a nickel cornerback after he locked down Buccaneers wide receiver Chris Godwin in the playoffs two years ago. At 6-4 and 205 pounds with the strength and explosiveness of a safety, Mukuamu could seemingly line up against wide receivers and tight ends.

According to Harris, though, Juanyeh Thomas, Markquese Bell and Carson (!) all saw snaps with the first-team defense in spring practices.

Carson's inclusion on the first-team is notable for multiple reasons. It's unclear what other cornerbacks practiced with the starters but it sounds like the Wake Forest product is no worse than fourth or fifth on the depth chart. That's an impressive start for a rookie, let alone a day three pick.

Carson was widely viewed as a top-100 overall prospect in the 2024 class. The Cowboys selected him with the 174th overall pick in round five, which speaks to the value of the pick. With ideal length to disrupt passes, a high football IQ and great tackling instincts, Carson is the perfect development CB for defensive backs coach Al Harris.

Whether that translates to Carson playing a ton in year one remains to be seen, but he could push for a significant role with a strong training camp and preseason. There's nobody proven on the depth chart behind starters Trevon Diggs, DaRon Bland and Jourdan Lewis, and he's clearly leapfrogged Mukuamu in the pecking order.

From where we're standing, Carson is on a level playing field with 2023 fifth-round pick Eric Scott Jr. and 2021 third-round pick Nahshon Wright. He might even have a leg up on his new teammates.

- Wright does not have any true Skills to offer .typical JAG wasted pick ... that' what we get for letting our former DC be such a lead influence
on who/where we pick.

- Izzy maybe a player without a position. Too leggy for CB, and not instinctive and physical enuff for safety ?

- Scott is a red shirt,.. inactive all year becuz he failed to distinguish himself last summer .. Dunno what to make of him. Dunno what Zimmer & Harris will make of him . . wait and see summer

- If they already are raved about Carson per draft and spring camps, that lets know all they think of Wright, and how encouraged what
they are seeing with Carson on both film tape & in person. I just have concerns about his INT skills I she a ball hawk, and just content
with knocking ball to ground instead of picking the ball off per INT ?

kskboys

Reaction score
- Wright does not have any true Skills to offer .typical JAG wasted pick ... that' what we get for letting our former DC be such a lead influence
on who/where we pick.

- Izzy maybe a player without a position. Too leggy for CB, and not instinctive and physical enuff for safety ?

- Scott is a red shirt,.. inactive all year becuz he failed to distinguish himself last summer .. Dunno what to make of him. Dunno what Zimmer & Harris will make of him . . wait and see summer

- If they already are raved about Carson per draft and spring camps, that lets know all they think of Wright, and how encouraged what
they are seeing with Carson on both film tape & in person. I just have concerns about his INT skills I she a ball hawk, and just content
Scott is too stiff to play NFL CB. Another wasted pick on a guy who can't mirror. Scott = Reggie Robinson.

Carson has the tools.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
You contradicted yourself. You said he cannot take all the blame and then put all the blame on him. He was NFL MVP runner up, and All Pro, Pro Bowler, led the league in TD’s, accuracy and some others as well as being top 5 in many others and in his prime. It’s incomprehensible why anyone would want to get rid of him. Not time for that yet.
Not really contradicting. Even though he wasn't the only one to blame, eyeballs are/were on him after all the regular season accolades, etc. This team is in a retool/rebuild and the cost of retaining our top players has become way beyond the pay grade of our ownerships, and they are sans clue how to build around the big 3 up for contracts. There are far far too many question marks in personnel/coaches moving forward that the only end game is sadly what the Jones' are doing (or not doing). If anybody believe that a $60,000,000/year contract for Dak comes without strings elsewhere, then they are delusional. If we had proper ownership/management they could have figured out a way to do this, but we botched this many years ago and are now paying the price as we knew would be the case

blueblood70

Reaction score
on who/where we pick.

TY DQ luv drafts for players because of their BUILD LOL than take Mazi and shrinks him..glad hes gone and we get to play them twice a year which by the way he's using many of our backups as starters...:clap: :))

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not too rare.

Some of the best NFL cornerbacks over 6'1" include:

1. **Richard Sherman** (6'3"): Known for his time with the Seattle Seahawks and the San Francisco 49ers, Sherman is a five-time Pro Bowler and a Super Bowl champion, recognized for his exceptional ball skills and intelligence on the field.

2. **Patrick Peterson** (6'1"): An eight-time Pro Bowler, Peterson has been a cornerstone for the Arizona Cardinals (now with the Minnesota Vikings), known for his speed, athleticism, and ability to lock down top receivers.

3. **Xavien Howard** (6'1"): A key player for the Miami Dolphins, Howard has been one of the league's top ball hawks, leading the NFL in interceptions multiple times.

4. **Nnamdi Asomugha** (6'2"): A shutdown corner primarily with the Oakland Raiders, Asomugha was known for his coverage skills and ability to take away one side of the field.

5. **Jimmy Smith** (6'2"): A consistent presence for the Baltimore Ravens, Smith has been known for his physicality and ability to match up with bigger receivers.

These players have not only used their height to their advantage but also combined it with exceptional athleticism, technique, and football IQ to become some of the best in the league.
Well I'm not gonna go back and figure out who you're talking to and what the actual subject is but you cannot just draft for body build that's why these mistakes were made by Dan Quinn getting people with long arms and tall and then they don't workout it needs to be both you need to see their potential that they can actually play and then look at their body build.... So I don't think it's a requirement to be tall or short you need to know how to cover you have to have instincts and I want people to be drafted for their potential talent that it's needs to be developed but it's there it can't just be about the person size that's these damn coordinators keep falling in love with people and then they don't work out...

fivetwos

Reaction score
If either Carson or Scott ends up amounting to anything, trading Diggs and clearing his money may be the right move.

Nothing against Diggs but freeing cap space and adding a premium pick is what other successful teams don’t seem to be afraid to do.

Moot as can be in this case because Jerry would never trade a family member (draftee, jersey in gift shop) and would probably get taken in the deal anyway.

gtb1943

Reaction score
If either Carson or Scott ends up amounting to anything, trading Diggs and clearing his money may be the right move.

Nothing against Diggs but freeing cap space and adding a premium pick is what other successful teams don’t seem to be afraid to do.

Moot as can be in this case because Jerry would never trade a family member (draftee, jersey in gift shop) and would probably get taken in the deal anyway.
my problem with Diggs is that he refuses to help in run support. You cannot have a player on a championship team that does that. Not even Deion was this bad.

fivetwos

Reaction score
my problem with Diggs is that he refuses to help in run support. You cannot have a player on a championship team that does that. Not even Deion was this bad.
I wouldn’t try to argue that but I have no issue with him in general.

Just saying that dealing from a strength (if Bland doesn’t regress in this new scheme and either of Scott/Carson become something) isn’t a bad idea, just something that this front office doesn’t seem inclined to do.

I say that because they never once have.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Well I'm not gonna go back and figure out who you're talking to and what the actual subject is but you cannot just draft for body build that's why these mistakes were made by Dan Quinn getting people with long arms and tall and then they don't workout it needs to be both you need to see their potential that they can actually play and then look at their body build.... So I don't think it's a requirement to be tall or short you need to know how to cover you have to have instincts and I want people to be drafted for their potential talent that it's needs to be developed but it's there it can't just be about the person size that's these damn coordinators keep falling in love with people and then they don't work out...
Yeah, totally agree about not drafting based on height.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
A few pundits reported lately that adding another CB in the draft was a legit need this year. If so, let's hope he's the answer.:thumbup:

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yeah, totally agree about not drafting based on height.
Height is only one of many intangibles' scouts are evaluating there are a lot of checkboxes that have to be marked and scored if you are truly evaluating,
It's what separates good drafting teams from the bad.
You already know this.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Height is only one of many intangibles' scouts are evaluating there are a lot of checkboxes that have to be marked and scored if you are truly evaluating,
It's what separates good drafting teams from the bad.
You already know this.
Gil Brandt said he did not draft MIke Singletary because he was one half inch below their minimum height for a LB

TwentyOne

Reaction score
This is kind of a surprise but nice to hear.

In a recent mailbag article for Cowboys dot com, team reporters Nick Harris and Mickey Spagnola discussed what role 2021 fifth-round pick Israel Mukuamu could have this season. Per Harris, Mukuamu worked almost exclusively with the second-team defense in OTAs and minicamp.

Cowboys fans would like Mukuamu to get more run as a nickel cornerback after he locked down Buccaneers wide receiver Chris Godwin in the playoffs two years ago. At 6-4 and 205 pounds with the strength and explosiveness of a safety, Mukuamu could seemingly line up against wide receivers and tight ends.

According to Harris, though, Juanyeh Thomas, Markquese Bell and Carson (!) all saw snaps with the first-team defense in spring practices.

Carson's inclusion on the first-team is notable for multiple reasons. It's unclear what other cornerbacks practiced with the starters but it sounds like the Wake Forest product is no worse than fourth or fifth on the depth chart. That's an impressive start for a rookie, let alone a day three pick.

Carson was widely viewed as a top-100 overall prospect in the 2024 class. The Cowboys selected him with the 174th overall pick in round five, which speaks to the value of the pick. With ideal length to disrupt passes, a high football IQ and great tackling instincts, Carson is the perfect development CB for defensive backs coach Al Harris.

Whether that translates to Carson playing a ton in year one remains to be seen, but he could push for a significant role with a strong training camp and preseason. There's nobody proven on the depth chart behind starters Trevon Diggs, DaRon Bland and Jourdan Lewis, and he's clearly leapfrogged Mukuamu in the pecking order.

From where we're standing, Carson is on a level playing field with 2023 fifth-round pick Eric Scott Jr. and 2021 third-round pick Nahshon Wright. He might even have a leg up on his new teammates.
comic_climber_by_adl_designs_d2o77zv-pre.jpg