Cowboys rookie Caelen Carson already climbing cornerback depth chart

MikeT22

Reaction score
Regardless if Carson is good or not, he will not start over Diggs, Bland and Lewis unless an injury.

We most likeky would have not known about Bland if we did not have the injuries we had.

I also recall us being very high on Scott last year.
I agree. While I think Carson was a good value where we picked him, I certainly don’t expect him to start. We’d be fortunate if he gets meaning snaps and plays like Bland in his rookie year and isn’t inactive most of the year like Scott was last season.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
True, and I give you props for trying to be optimistic but I can't be after so many years of the same crap from ownership. The more things change, the more they stay the same with this team sadly
There’s other things to be focused on at this point in the year than the teams past failures in the last 3 decades. If you dwell on just that, then honestly there’s no reason to be a fan. It prevents you, not you specifically, from enjoying the year long thing that is the NFL. For example, I can’t wait until training camp starts to see how these rookies and 2nd, 3rd year players are doing. They’re going to have to step up if the Cowboys have a chance this year. I think they do, and I think they will. Super Bowl or bust. :starspin:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
When is the last time the Cowboys cut a rookie 5th round pick? You don’t have to work very hard to make the team as a draft pick for this team
John Ridgeway in 2022.

IMG-0493.webp

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I agree. While I think Carson was a good value where we picked him, I certainly don’t expect him to start. We’d be fortunate if he gets meaning snaps and plays like Bland in his rookie year and isn’t inactive most of the year like Scott was last season.
His first year he can be on the bench mostly learning and playing some special teams. No need to rush his development unless he’s really that good. We shall see.

Chasing6

Reaction score
There’s other things to be focused on at this point in the year than the teams past failures in the last 3 decades. If you dwell on just that, then honestly there’s no reason to be a fan. It prevents you, not you specifically, from enjoying the year long thing that is the NFL. For example, I can’t wait until training camp starts to see how these rookies and 2nd, 3rd year players are doing. They’re going to have to step up if the Cowboys have a chance this year. I think they do, and I think they will. Super Bowl or bust. :starspin:
We are hang out at the RIM or bust at best.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Extremely rare to find a CB over 6-1 who has the lateral agility and burst to cover.
Not too rare.

Some of the best NFL cornerbacks over 6'1" include:

1. **Richard Sherman** (6'3"): Known for his time with the Seattle Seahawks and the San Francisco 49ers, Sherman is a five-time Pro Bowler and a Super Bowl champion, recognized for his exceptional ball skills and intelligence on the field.

2. **Patrick Peterson** (6'1"): An eight-time Pro Bowler, Peterson has been a cornerstone for the Arizona Cardinals (now with the Minnesota Vikings), known for his speed, athleticism, and ability to lock down top receivers.

3. **Xavien Howard** (6'1"): A key player for the Miami Dolphins, Howard has been one of the league's top ball hawks, leading the NFL in interceptions multiple times.

4. **Nnamdi Asomugha** (6'2"): A shutdown corner primarily with the Oakland Raiders, Asomugha was known for his coverage skills and ability to take away one side of the field.

5. **Jimmy Smith** (6'2"): A consistent presence for the Baltimore Ravens, Smith has been known for his physicality and ability to match up with bigger receivers.

These players have not only used their height to their advantage but also combined it with exceptional athleticism, technique, and football IQ to become some of the best in the league.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Not too rare.

1. **Richard Sherman** (6'3"): Known for his time with the Seattle Seahawks and the San Francisco 49ers, Sherman is a five-time Pro Bowler and a Super Bowl champion, recognized for his exceptional ball skills and intelligence on the field.

2. **Patrick Peterson** (6'1"): An eight-time Pro Bowler, Peterson has been a cornerstone for the Arizona Cardinals (now with the Minnesota Vikings), known for his speed, athleticism, and ability to lock down top receivers.

3. **Xavien Howard** (6'1"): A key player for the Miami Dolphins, Howard has been one of the league's top ball hawks, leading the NFL in interceptions multiple times.

4. **Nnamdi Asomugha** (6'2"): A shutdown corner primarily with the Oakland Raiders, Asomugha was known for his coverage skills and ability to take away one side of the field.

5. **Jimmy Smith** (6'2"): A consistent presence for the Baltimore Ravens, Smith has been known for his physicality and ability to match up with bigger receivers.

These players have not only used their height to their advantage but also combined it with exceptional athleticism, technique, and football IQ to become some of the best in the league.
Did they weigh 185 pounds?

kskboys

Reaction score
Not too rare.

Very rare. Kinda funny how you listed two guys that were 6-1!!!!!!!! Couldn't find anyone else, hey?

At present, there are exactly two top cover corners in the NFL over 6-1, Surtain and Sauce.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
The only thing I am looking forward to this year is the hopeful change at QB coming, and some of the essential young players at key positions we want to lead this franchise down the road. If indeed we move on from Dak to Trey or whoever, these pieces are as important as ever to ease the rebuild/retool. This is well worth watching

Chasing6

Reaction score
The only thing I am looking forward to this year is the hopeful change at QB coming, and some of the essential young players at key positions we want to lead this franchise down the road. If indeed we move on from Dak to Trey or whoever, these pieces are as important as ever to ease the rebuild/retool. This is well worth watching
Not happening this year.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
How will you feel if they do extend Dak?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This is kind of a surprise but nice to hear.

In a recent mailbag article for Cowboys dot com, team reporters Nick Harris and Mickey Spagnola discussed what role 2021 fifth-round pick Israel Mukuamu could have this season. Per Harris, Mukuamu worked almost exclusively with the second-team defense in OTAs and minicamp.

Cowboys fans would like Mukuamu to get more run as a nickel cornerback after he locked down Buccaneers wide receiver Chris Godwin in the playoffs two years ago. At 6-4 and 205 pounds with the strength and explosiveness of a safety, Mukuamu could seemingly line up against wide receivers and tight ends.

According to Harris, though, Juanyeh Thomas, Markquese Bell and Carson (!) all saw snaps with the first-team defense in spring practices.

Carson's inclusion on the first-team is notable for multiple reasons. It's unclear what other cornerbacks practiced with the starters but it sounds like the Wake Forest product is no worse than fourth or fifth on the depth chart. That's an impressive start for a rookie, let alone a day three pick.

Carson was widely viewed as a top-100 overall prospect in the 2024 class. The Cowboys selected him with the 174th overall pick in round five, which speaks to the value of the pick. With ideal length to disrupt passes, a high football IQ and great tackling instincts, Carson is the perfect development CB for defensive backs coach Al Harris.

Whether that translates to Carson playing a ton in year one remains to be seen, but he could push for a significant role with a strong training camp and preseason. There's nobody proven on the depth chart behind starters Trevon Diggs, DaRon Bland and Jourdan Lewis, and he's clearly leapfrogged Mukuamu in the pecking order.

From where we're standing, Carson is on a level playing field with 2023 fifth-round pick Eric Scott Jr. and 2021 third-round pick Nahshon Wright. He might even have a leg up on his new teammates.
The guys drafted this year will of course have a leg up in a competition for a roster spot with players selected by the previous regime.
"We like our guys."
"Our guys" are the guys *we* picked. Gotta make good on *our* picks.

Old regime DBs might has something of a chance with Harris staying.