Cowboys select DB Matt Johnson Eastern Washington

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
They sure looked awfully happy in the war room to get him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
SDogo;4536668 said:
Total Character Pick. Good Athlete. Special Teams pick. Dont see him as a starter. This guy is the poster child for "Garretts Our Kind Of Guy"

is he gonna be ready -- a friend who follows Eastern told me he had a season ending injury

cdewsxzaq

Reaction score
I have to say, I think the fourth round was terrible for the Cowboys... We'll see when we get to camp...

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Notes:
His identical twin brother, Zach, is an outside linebacker for EWU. Also played basketball and baseball as a Washington prep. Redshirted in 2007. Suffered a concussion during spring practice but started all 11 games at strong safety in ’08 (wore jersey No. 40), recording 83 tackles, one pass breakup and four interceptions with five tackles for loss. Started all 12 games in ’09, posting 98-3-6 with five tackles for loss, one sack and two forced fumbles. Wore jersey No. 10 all year to honor his brother who missed the season with an injury. Did not participate in spring practice because of a shoulder injury. Notched 105-8-5 with three tackles for loss and two forced fumbles in 15 starts for the FCS Division I champs in ’10. Totaled 52-0-2 with eight tackles for loss and two forced fumbles in seven starts — suffered a subluxating biceps tendon injury in his left shoulder against South Dakota in Week Two and played through pain before opting for season-ending surgery. Fielded punts against Washington. Team captain.

Summary:
Good-sized with a well-proportioned, toned build, Johnson is a tough, competitive, coachable strong safety with good linear athletic ability. Plays with and trusts his eyes. Drops downhill and supports the run aggressively — gets proper fits, runs the alley and takes effective angles. Effective in halves or thirds, can run with tight ends and has good hands to intercept (17 career interceptions). Smart, experienced four-year starter who made secondary calls. Struggles to man up receivers and shows average range and change of direction. Is not a violent striker and misses some tackles when he isn’t under control. Character player with a professional approach who has an intangible makeup and athletic skill set to make a roster and contribute on special teams.

Eskimo

Reaction score
SDogo;4536668 said:
Total Character Pick. Good Athlete. Special Teams pick. Dont see him as a starter. This guy is the poster child for "Garretts Our Kind Of Guy"

Great - we're drafting backups and ST guys again.

This FO needs to be canned. They still don't get it.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
draft scout doesn't have this guys pic?

You can find a guy like this in round 7. Iloka and Brewster were the BPAs.

CowboysLaw87

Reaction score
There's no way I can be convinced that he's a better player than Chapman, Saulsberry, M. Jackson... on and on and on. If you like the guy, fine. But you have to have some perception on where he's likely to be picked. It's the 4th round! What were the chances he'd be off the board by our next pick?

Eskimo

Reaction score
Picksix;4536688 said:
They sure looked awfully happy in the war room to get him.

Yeah, well he'll run real quick to the dressing room to get water bottles for the coaches so I'm sure they're happy about that with the hot weather we get in TC.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4536706 said:
Is he white? Jerry must think he's the safety Jeff Ogden.

Yes he is

RamziD

Reaction score
If this guy starts on the PUP list, then that is just freaking pathetic.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Matt Johnson is the fifth-leading tackler in school history with 341. He ranks second all-time for interceptions (17) and interception return yards (219).
Since recovering from surgery to repair the damaged biceps tendon, Johnson has been working out nonstop. In January and February, he spent six weeks in Orlando, Fla., with two-dozen other college players working with Tom Shaw, a renowned speed and conditioning coach.
At EWU’s Pro Day, March 7 in Spokane, Johnson put up strong results. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.54 seconds, did the 20-yard shuttle run in 3.99, bench pressed 225 pounds 18 times and had a 38-inch vertical leap.
“I put up numbers close to where I want to be,” Johnson said. “I feel so healthy.”
Though NFLDraftScout.com lists the 6-foot-1, 212-pounder as the 15th-best strong safety (out of 143), he is not projected to be among the 253 players taken in the seven-round draft. Undrafted players are free to sign with any team after the draft.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
6'1"....215....4.6 40

I expected a DB, but this one really shocked me....better hope the scouts saw something for Rob...blitzer, in the box, something.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
I have no idea if he can play, but the Cowboys think he can, so good for them (and us), I guess?

That said every year, the Cowboys always seem to reach for a guy who by most accounts will be available MUCH later in the draft (or FA), and that's when I become confused.

They seem to be passing on players with much better grades to take guys who could be there 2-3 rounds later, so in theory, they're leaving considerable talent on the board to take guys that teams don't seem to want or seem to value.

It's always a head-scratcher with this team's draft philosophy.

The Realist

Reaction score
6-2/220 SS who is a stat sheet stuffer. Don't know what he runs but 17 career picks. Math Education major so maybe he is smarter than the typical Dallas D player.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Eskimo;4536703 said:
Great - we're drafting backups and ST guys again.

This FO needs to be canned. They still don't get it.

Another way to look at it is that we took a guy who can contribute immediately on ST while he learns the D.

I do think this is a player who would have been rated higher if he wasn't coming off surgery

If I have any problem with the pick it is that he plays in a crap conference. The competition is atrocious

DFWJC

Reaction score
SDogo;4536627 said:
You got me
Hope he is good.
I feel sure they could have had himin the 6th or 7th round.
We'll never know for sure.