Cowboys select DB Matt Johnson Eastern Washington

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
SDogo;4536790 said:
I will say, it's not my favorite pick but I'm shocked at how fast people will write off a kid this day in age. Being fans of a team who starting QB and WR were undrafted I would think everyone would do their best to find out as much about the kid before commenting, then get on board and wish him the best because your Cowboys fan. I have never spit hate over a draft pick.

I understand what you are saying, but when the draft experts don't even have a profile on him and are having a hard time saying anything, that's not very re-assuring. Furthermore, with the past picks like Hodges and the famous special teams draft, well, that just makes it easier.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
i don't like reading about all of his injuries. sounds like he has an injury every year. hopefully that will change

sbark

Reaction score
SDogo;4536790 said:
I will say, it's not my favorite pick but I'm shocked at how fast people will write off a kid this day in age. Being fans of a team who starting QB and WR were undrafted I would think everyone would do their best to find out as much about the kid before commenting, then get on board and wish him the best because your Cowboys fan. I have never spit hate over a draft pick.

for sure............the same would've hated the Leon Lett pick......would've never wanted to move up a few picks for Jerry Rice

Eskimo

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;4536769 said:
Tons of interceptions - that would be a pleasant change for any safety.

AOA had a lot of picks, too.

Pete Hunter also got a lot of picks, too.

He basically played the equivalent of Texas High School football - how can you rank him against guys who played big Conference ball who are proven against high levels of competition. He was taken at least a round early and probably two rounds early.

We're just trying to outsmart the league again which Jerry loves to do. Jason is supposed to be his stopper. He didn't stop Jerry here so Garrett fails. I barely even care how good of a player he is because I think the strategy is all wrong. These little school guys need to be taken later. You'd think they'd have learned from our last 2 fourth rounders who have floundered - AOA (out of the league) and Arkin (not a consideration to play last year when we had Nagy from the 7th round and Kowalski as a UDFA out there playing).

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Every team and the types of players needed are different...a higher rated player by so-called experts is rated higher because they are all being rated against the same standards.

I'm not a total homer, but this is no different than Seattle taking Bruce Irvin in round 1 or NE taking Tavon Wilson when they did...if he was the highest rated player for our defense, that's the guy you take. If he isn't any good, fire the evaluators and coaches.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
SDogo;4536790 said:

Agreed. I wonder how many Chiefs fans were saying the same thing about Carr.

I'm willing to give the Cowboys, and this kid, the benefit of the doubt but their track record of late is not very reliable.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Kid can close on the ball, I look forward to watching some of his film to see what we got

Eskimo

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4536818 said:
i don't like reading about all of his injuries. sounds like he has an injury every year. hopefully that will change

If he was getting hurt playing at a level barely above HS ball, I'd be surprised if he makes it through PS in one piece. Imagine what Ahmad Bradshaw is going to do to this twerp in the hole.

Eskimo

Reaction score
SDogo;4536790 said:

I don't think any of us hate the kid and we'll cheer for him.

We hate Jerry for drafting him in the 4th instead of the 7th round.

bigE79

Reaction score
SDogo;4536790 said:
:hammer::bow:

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
SDogo;4536627 said:
You got me

6-1, 210 pounds, a SS... ran a 4.52 at his Pro Day...

Another team captain, Garrett does seem to like to draft team captains...

Here's what PFW had to say about him:

Notes: His identical twin brother, Zach, is an outside linebacker for EWU. Also played basketball and baseball as a Washington prep. Redshirted in 2007. Suffered a concussion during spring practice but started all 11 games at strong safety in ’08 (wore jersey No. 40), recording 83 tackles, one pass breakup and four interceptions with five tackles for loss. Started all 12 games in ’09, posting 98-3-6 with five tackles for loss, one sack and two forced fumbles. Wore jersey No. 10 all year to honor his brother who missed the season with an injury. Did not participate in spring practice because of a shoulder injury. Notched 105-8-5 with three tackles for loss and two forced fumbles in 15 starts for the FCS Division I champs in ’10. Totaled 52-0-2 with eight tackles for loss and two forced fumbles in seven starts — suffered a subluxating biceps tendon injury in his left shoulder against South Dakota in Week Two and played through pain before opting for season-ending surgery. Fielded punts against Washington. Team captain.
Bottom line: Good-sized with a well-proportioned, toned build, Johnson is a tough, competitive, coachable strong safety with good linear athletic ability. Plays with and trusts his eyes. Drops downhill and supports the run aggressively — gets proper fits, runs the alley and takes effective angles. Effective in halves or thirds, can run with tight ends and has good hands to intercept (17 career interceptions). Smart, experienced four-year starter who made secondary calls. Struggles to man up receivers and shows average range and change of direction. Is not a violent striker and misses some tackles when he isn’t under control. Character player with a professional approach who has an intangible makeup and athletic skill set to make a roster and contribute on special teams.
NFL projection: Fifth- to sixth-round pick.

As noted above, his senior season was ruined by that biceps injury, but in his junior season (when Eastern Washington won a national championship), he was just lights out-- 106 tackles, 5 ints, 8 passes broken up, 2 forced fumbles...

FWIW, NFLDS rated him their 378th best prospect, while PFW called him a 5th or 6th round prospect...

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
SDogo;4536790 said:

Problem is this is a pick that could've easily been a free agent pickup by most the services and we picked him in the 4th round.

No matter how its spun, its a definite reach and while some will be more harsh with their language, that doesn't change the fact that it was a reach at this point although of course I like that we are thinking about the safety position.

weaver21

Reaction score
Eskimo;4536833 said:
If he was getting hurt playing at a level barely above HS ball, I'd be surprised if he makes it through PS in one piece. Imagine what Ahmad Bradshaw is going to do to this twerp in the hole.

Shut the hell up, man. You wanna be negative, go rant about it somewhere else. I'm sick of Cowboys fans like this... so annoying.

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
SDogo;4536790 said:

Oh, I'm not hating, just confused by their logic.

Again, by most accounts, he would've been there MUCH later on in FA.

To me, the higher rounds should be used for talent and not reaches.

Perhaps I'm just scarred by the Bruce Thorntons, Skyler Greens, Isaiah Stanbacks, Robert Brewsters and Brandon Williams of the world.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
SDogo;4536668 said:
Total Character Pick. Good Athlete. Special Teams pick. Dont see him as a starter. This guy is the poster child for "Garretts Our Kind Of Guy"

Where do I find the barf bags around here?

montgod

Reaction score
Hmmm... why does this draft pick remind me of the year we didn't need any starters and drafted ST players and for depth? :confused:

Way too early...