Cowboys select DB Matt Johnson Eastern Washington

Chuck 54

Reaction score
BlindFaith;4536730 said:
Matt Johnson is the fifth-leading tackler in school history with 341. He ranks second all-time for interceptions (17) and interception return yards (219).
Since recovering from surgery to repair the damaged biceps tendon, Johnson has been working out nonstop. In January and February, he spent six weeks in Orlando, Fla., with two-dozen other college players working with Tom Shaw, a renowned speed and conditioning coach.
At EWU’s Pro Day, March 7 in Spokane, Johnson put up strong results. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.54 seconds, did the 20-yard shuttle run in 3.99, bench pressed 225 pounds 18 times and had a 38-inch vertical leap.
“I put up numbers close to where I want to be,” Johnson said. “I feel so healthy.”
Though NFLDraftScout.com lists the 6-foot-1, 212-pounder as the 15th-best strong safety (out of 143), he is not projected to be among the 253 players taken in the seven-round draft. Undrafted players are free to sign with any team after the draft.

Great information...glad he's healthy.

RamziD

Reaction score
Just what we need in the 4th - competition for Church and McCray :rolleyes:

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
SDogo;4536699 said:
Notes:
His identical twin brother, Zach, is an outside linebacker for EWU. Also played basketball and baseball as a Washington prep. Redshirted in 2007. Suffered a concussion during spring practice but started all 11 games at strong safety in ’08 (wore jersey No. 40), recording 83 tackles, one pass breakup and four interceptions with five tackles for loss. Started all 12 games in ’09, posting 98-3-6 with five tackles for loss, one sack and two forced fumbles. Wore jersey No. 10 all year to honor his brother who missed the season with an injury. Did not participate in spring practice because of a shoulder injury. Notched 105-8-5 with three tackles for loss and two forced fumbles in 15 starts for the FCS Division I champs in ’10. Totaled 52-0-2 with eight tackles for loss and two forced fumbles in seven starts — suffered a subluxating biceps tendon injury in his left shoulder against South Dakota in Week Two and played through pain before opting for season-ending surgery. Fielded punts against Washington. Team captain.

Summary:
Good-sized with a well-proportioned, toned build, Johnson is a tough, competitive, coachable strong safety with good linear athletic ability. Plays with and trusts his eyes. Drops downhill and supports the run aggressively — gets proper fits, runs the alley and takes effective angles. Effective in halves or thirds, can run with tight ends and has good hands to intercept (17 career interceptions). Smart, experienced four-year starter who made secondary calls. Struggles to man up receivers and shows average range and change of direction. Is not a violent striker and misses some tackles when he isn’t under control. Character player with a professional approach who has an intangible makeup and athletic skill set to make a roster and contribute on special teams.

Sounds ok, but from a real small school so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

I was asking for a safety in live chat before this pick, but I was thinking of Martin or Iloka, this has to be disappointing.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Looking at the web cam, it sure does look like Jerry is hitting the rum and coke very hard already....... that may explain this pick.

Eskimo

Reaction score
AbeBeta;4536747 said:
Another way to look at it is that we took a guy who can contribute immediately on ST while he learns the D.

I do think this is a player who would have been rated higher if he wasn't coming off surgery

If I have any problem with the pick it is that he plays in a crap conference. The competition is atrocious

I'm fine with a guy who will start at ST. However, this seems like a guy that no one knew about and no one was interested in. Why did we draft him in the 4th when there are still good players who played in big conferences against top talent available. We could have had Josh Chapman, Brandon Washington or Fargroupo at this pick or even Chase Minnifield. Why did we reach in the 4th. That's with the 7th round is for.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I will say, it's not my favorite pick but I'm shocked at how fast people will write off a kid this day in age. Being fans of a team who starting QB and WR were undrafted I would think everyone would do their best to find out as much about the kid before commenting, then get on board and wish him the best because your Cowboys fan. I have never spit hate over a draft pick.

jswalker1981

Fact > Your Opinion
Reaction score
SDogo;4536790 said:
I will say, it's not my favorite pick but I'm shocked at how fast people will write off a kid this day in age. Being fans of a team who starting QB and WR were undrafted I would think everyone would do their best to find out as much about the kid before commenting, then get on board and wish him the best because your Cowboys fan. I have never spit hate over a draft pick.

:bow:

Reaction score
well, this draft ought to prove the scouting department and Rob Ryan's worth in judging talent since they are operating outside of the mainstream,,, which is admirable but hey, if they blow it, fire them all. :eek:

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
This guy is a real hard hitter. So much so this is a pic of the field after he made a tackle. glad we got him.

eastern-washington-red-fiel.jpg

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Matt Johnson

Dallas Cowboys

Round 4, Pick 135

SI Grade
SI Grading System

Position: S

Class: Sr

School: Eastern Washington

HT: 6'1"

WT: 220 lbs.

40 Time: 4.6

Conference: Big Sky

Biography: Four-year starter awarded all-conference honors since his freshman season. Senior totals included 52 tackles and two interceptions in five games before he suffered a season-ending biceps tendon injury. Junior totals included 105 tackles/5 interceptions/8 pass breakups. Posted 101 tackles as a sophomore.

Positives: Tough run-defending safety who is best in a straight line. Effectively reads the action, directs his teammates in the secondary and forces his way up the field to make plays against the run. Squares into ballcarriers, goes for the knockout blow and is aggressive in all aspects of the game. Remains disciplined with coverage assignments in the middle of the field.

Negatives: Lacks top sideline-to-sideline range and struggles getting outside the numbers to make plays. Loses a lot of momentum when he must immediately change direction.

Analysis: Johnson has been a very productive safety and possesses enough skill to get consideration as a conventional strong safety/special teams player at the next level.

Projection: FA

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/65186.html#ixzz1tMNPxquo

Notes:
His identical twin brother, Zach, is an outside linebacker for EWU. Also played basketball and baseball as a Washington prep. Redshirted in 2007. Suffered a concussion during spring practice but started all 11 games at strong safety in ’08 (wore jersey No. 40), recording 83 tackles, one pass breakup and four interceptions with five tackles for loss. Started all 12 games in ’09, posting 98-3-6 with five tackles for loss, one sack and two forced fumbles. Wore jersey No. 10 all year to honor his brother who missed the season with an injury. Did not participate in spring practice because of a shoulder injury. Notched 105-8-5 with three tackles for loss and two forced fumbles in 15 starts for the FCS Division I champs in ’10. Totaled 52-0-2 with eight tackles for loss and two forced fumbles in seven starts — suffered a subluxating biceps tendon injury in his left shoulder against South Dakota in Week Two and played through pain before opting for season-ending surgery. Fielded punts against Washington. Team captain.
386113.jpg

Summary:
Good-sized with a well-proportioned, toned build, Johnson is a tough, competitive, coachable strong safety with good linear athletic ability. Plays with and trusts his eyes. Drops downhill and supports the run aggressively — gets proper fits, runs the alley and takes effective angles. Effective in halves or thirds, can run with tight ends and has good hands to intercept (17 career interceptions). Smart, experienced four-year starter who made secondary calls. Struggles to man up receivers and shows average range and change of direction. Is not a violent striker and misses some tackles when he isn’t under control. Character player with a professional approach who has an intangible makeup and athletic skill set to make a roster and contribute on special teams.
actionshot_386113.jpg

a_minimalist

Reaction score
SDogo;4536790 said:

:signmast:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
That scouting report doesn't sound bad, but it was definitely a reach in that position. Looks like he would have been available later.