Drafted by Cowboys Cowboys Select DE Bradlee Anae with the 179th Pick (5th Round)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah but is he gonna chase him for 40 yards? A 40 time is not going to stop me from taking a pass rusher.
Of course he's not going to chase him for 40 yards, but straight line speed is a factor even chasing a QB 5-10 yards, and the faster a player is, the more likely he is to make up the ground. All I'm saying is straight line speed is an asset that can help a pass rusher - really any player at any position. But, again, it's not as important to a pass rusher as initial quickness of the line and pass rush moves.[/QUOTE]
Jadaveon Clowneys amazing speed happened to have gotten him 3 sacks last year.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah but is he gonna chase him for 40 yards? A 40 time is not going to stop me from taking a pass rusher.

One player doesn't prove the rule but Terrell Suggs ran a 4.9 at combine and then posted 139 sacks in the NFL with 7 Pro Bowls. You can't compare the two but he is basically the exact measurables of Anae.[/QUOTE]

Calais Campbell ran a 4.85 as well.[/QUOTE]

Of course he's not going to chase him for 40 yards, but straight line speed is a factor even chasing a QB 5-10 yards, and the faster a player is, the more likely he is to make up the ground. All I'm saying is straight line speed is an asset that can help a pass rusher - really any player at any position. But, again, it's not as important to a pass rusher as initial quickness of the line and pass rush moves.[/QUOTE]
What the Hell's going on with the quote feature???[/QUOTE]
I just noticed it’s all the way messed up.

cowboyec

Reaction score
another potential steal.
he was thought of as anywhere from a 2nd Rd pick to 3rd...to get him in the 5th....exceptional.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jadaveon Clowneys amazing speed happened to have gotten him 3 sacks last year.
you seem to think I said straight line speed is a huge key for a pass rusher,or that it is required to be a strong pass rusher, and I actually specifically indicated that I do not believe that.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One player doesn't prove the rule but Terrell Suggs ran a 4.9 at combine and then posted 139 sacks in the NFL with 7 Pro Bowls. You can't compare the two but he is basically the exact measurables of Anae.

Calais Campbell ran a 4.85 as well.[/QUOTE]

I just noticed it’s all the way messed up.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't actually getting involved in the conversation. I was just wondering what was going on with the quote feature. lol

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Calais Campbell ran a 4.85 as well.

I just noticed it’s all the way messed up.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't actually getting involved in the conversation. I was just wondering what was going on with the quote feature. lol[/QUOTE]
I want to know too lol.....

jjktkk

Reaction score
Solid pick.

I mean there is not much to quibble about with regards to our picks. I wasn't a big fan of the CB in the 4th but he's a freak athlete and they like to take chances on those guys.
You wouldn't be you if you didn't find something negative.

stinkface

Reaction score
He’s a DE

This was what I was quoting. " Wow!!!! Nice steal! I had him in the 3rd round!!! I love Jerry this draft! I hope we round off this great draft with QB McDonald of Hawaii in round 7 if he hasn't been picked yet."

morasp

Reaction score
Could he play strong side linebacker?
I think he could be the DPR designated pass rusher candidate.

Overview
Anae's tape tends to grow on you the more you watch with his revved-up motor and salty disposition showing up in every game. He's fairly skilled and instinctive as an upfield rusher with a threatening upfield burst and a relatively diverse approach to climbing past tackles. He's not a natural bender or the longest edge defender and he's much better at attacking blockers than defending his territory against the run. He has the size, hands and strength to play standing or with a hand down, but may have a better chance of becoming a starter as a rush linebacker in a 3-4.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I think he could be the DPR designated pass rusher candidate.

Overview
Anae's tape tends to grow on you the more you watch with his revved-up motor and salty disposition showing up in every game. He's fairly skilled and instinctive as an upfield rusher with a threatening upfield burst and a relatively diverse approach to climbing past tackles. He's not a natural bender or the longest edge defender and he's much better at attacking blockers than defending his territory against the run. He has the size, hands and strength to play standing or with a hand down, but may have a better chance of becoming a starter as a rush linebacker in a 3-4.

Anae, Lawrence, McCoy and Gallimore could actually surprise on 3rd downs.

morasp

Reaction score
Anae, Lawrence, McCoy and Gallimore could actually surprise on 3rd downs.
I hope so. Gallimore might be able to move the QB off his spot with quick penetration early on as he works on becoming a better finisher. Anae was my favorite pick of day three and it will be fun to see how he stacks up. Moving to a 4-3 and having DLaw next to him could really help McCoy's pass rush.

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Lol, what are talking about?

He’s an undersized edge player with marginal athleticism at a position where he needs to beat bigger/stronger players. I said said as much in my initial post.

You tried equating their body types based on measurements on the screen.

Again, last pick of the 5th round which means he would have at best been a 6th rounder, so to act like the skepticism of his pro potential is unwarranted is ignorant.

I get it; GO COWBOYS!

Every pick must be awesome.
He's not undersized. Doesn't maybe have the arm length but this kid dominated at utah then dominated at the senior bowl. decent 10 yard split time, good hands and technique. end of the 5th round is good value for someone that might crack the rotation. Which i would love so we can finally cut crawford.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Wow, Brugler has a 3rd round grade on him:

COMBINE 6033 257 32 1/8 10 1/8 78 1/8 4.91 2.83 1.69 31 09’07” 4.43 7.44 25

STRENGTHS: Quick take-off to win with his first step…gets on top of blockers quickly, flashing early speed-to-power moves…strong cornering skills, not allowing blockers to push his momentum away from the pocket…works in a club, chop and various power moves mid-rush…aggressive hands with a long-arm technique to get blockers off balance…disciplined run defender, staying home and handling himself well in space…self-described “adrenaline junkie” who competes with a full tank…he rarely came off the field and was an every-down player for the Utes…his leadership and work ethic are “tremendous,” according to Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham…big-time production, setting several school records, including career sacks.

WEAKNESSES: Short-armed rusher…spotty snap anticipation, collecting six offside penalties in 2019…predictable, one-speed rusher and lacks steady variance when attacking the corner…tends to tip his rush moves early, lacking suddenness in his set up…exposes his frame and needs to tighten his timing…finds himself off balance when attempting to shed…gives up too much ground in the run game and needs to plant roots to anchor on the edges…falls apart vs. double-teams…inexperienced dropping into space and covering backs or tight ends.

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Utah, Anae played left defensive end in defensive coordinator Morgan Scalley’s 4-2-5 base scheme, standing up and rushing with his hand on the ground. He became the school’s all-time leading sack artist (30.0) and set the program records for career sack yardage (210) and tackles for loss yardage (244), winning the 2019 Morris Trophy as the Pac-12’s top defensive lineman (voted on by the conference’s offensive linemen). Anae is quick out of the gate and accelerates around the edge with relaxed hips and physical hands to run the hoop. Against the run, he has strong ball awareness, but can be too easily overwhelmed by size on the edges. Overall, Anae relies too much on his first step and appears near maxed out, but he is a hungry, high-effort pass rusher with the edge quickness that will earn him immediate playing time as an NFL rookie.

GRADE: 3rd Round

An extremely confusing evaluation.

How can he be both use "long-arm technique" and also be "short-armed"? How can he have both a "quick take-off" and "lacking suddenness"??

CCBoy

Reaction score
I can't take my eyes off this reference:

With their compensatory pick at No. 179, the Cowboys selected Utah edge rusher, Bradlee Anae. At 6-foot-3, 257 pounds, Anae showed the world why he averaged nearly 10.0 sacks per season the past three years for the Utes, with an amazing Senior Bowl performance. He dominated in the showcase racking up 3.0 sacks and multiple pressures.

In 12 games as a senior, Anae recorded 41 total tackles, 14.0 tackles for loss, 13.0 sacks, and a forced fumble in 2019. The Athletic’s Dane Brugler projected him as the 89th best player in this draft class, highlighting his tremendous value at 179.

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/04/25/dallas-cowboys-catch-falling-bradlee-anae/

Status
Not open for further replies.