Drafted by Cowboys Cowboys Select DE Bradlee Anae with the 179th Pick (5th Round)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiser

Reaction score
An extremely confusing evaluation.

How can he be both use "long-arm technique" and also be "short-armed"? How can he have both a "quick take-off" and "lacking suddenness"??

The longarm he refers to is a DL technique, its the first part of a combination to get the OL in position for a second move to get past him. That's a technique while Anae has arms that measure shorter than others.

For the suddeness part I think he means first step quickness as opposed to the kind of Robert Quinn quick twitch quickness. That's how I read it anyway.

morasp

Reaction score
I can't take my eyes off this reference:

With their compensatory pick at No. 179, the Cowboys selected Utah edge rusher, Bradlee Anae. At 6-foot-3, 257 pounds, Anae showed the world why he averaged nearly 10.0 sacks per season the past three years for the Utes, with an amazing Senior Bowl performance. He dominated in the showcase racking up 3.0 sacks and multiple pressures.

In 12 games as a senior, Anae recorded 41 total tackles, 14.0 tackles for loss, 13.0 sacks, and a forced fumble in 2019. The Athletic’s Dane Brugler projected him as the 89th best player in this draft class, highlighting his tremendous value at 179.

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/04/25/dallas-cowboys-catch-falling-bradlee-anae/
He looks like a good player to me.

Last edited:

texbumthelife

Reaction score
He looks like a good player to me.

His long-arm to rip combination is ridiculous. I'm not anointing this kid, but that move alone is gonna give OTs fits. He's also got a great spin and a nasty inside move.

The more I read and watch, the more I think this kid is my favorite pick. He's coming into the perfect opportunity too, with Nolan. I think he's gonna be allowed to pin his ears back and fly around the edge. Unlike previous years when we would have taken this kid and then tried to make him a zone coverage back or some crap.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
An extremely confusing evaluation.

How can he be both use "long-arm technique" and also be "short-armed"? How can he have both a "quick take-off" and "lacking suddenness"??

"tends to tip his rush moves early, lacking suddenness in his set up"

He means that his moves are predictable. He's not referring to physical ability per se, but to technique/style.

It's like some WRs that lean in the direction that they're going to cut well before the cut which allows DB to jump routes.

Long-arm is a technique, not a physical characteristic.

With regards to being "short armed", he is almost identical in height, weight and arm length to Chaisson.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Man 40 times are irrelevant to pass rushers. Taco did not suck because of his 40 time.
I wouldn't call it completely irrelevant because sometimes a pass rusher has to chase a scrambling QB, but it's certainly not the end all, be all some seem to think. The quickness off the line is the real key, then technique and tenacity are also important.
10 yard split and 3 cone are the two most important drills in determining a pass rushers athleticism. 40 time is largely irrelevant

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course he's not going to chase him for 40 yards, but straight line speed is a factor even chasing a QB 5-10 yards, and the faster a player is, the more likely he is to make up the ground. All I'm saying is straight line speed is an asset that can help a pass rusher - really any player at any position. But, again, it's not as important to a pass rusher as initial quickness of the line and pass rush moves.
What the Hell's going on with the quote feature???[/QUOTE]
I just noticed it’s all the way messed up.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't actually getting involved in the conversation. I was just wondering what was going on with the quote feature. lol
I want to know too lol.....[/QUOTE]

He is quick in about the distance from a DE to a QB.

His 1st step is elite. Better than Chaisso's but by about step 5 is where Chaisson would pass him if you could overlay their video on top other each other.

If the QB rolls out away from him then that's were his speed is limited with comparison to the freak athlete type pass rushers.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
[QUOTE="xwalker, post: 10169806, member: 5194

He is quick in about the distance from a DE to a QB.

His 1st step is elite. Better than Chaisso's but by about step 5 is where Chaisson would pass him if you could overlay their video on top other each other.

If the QB rolls out away from him then that's were his speed is limited with comparison to the freak athlete type pass rushers.[/QUOTE]

That last bit is true, but if this kid starts to get enough clout that teams begin rolling away from him, that absolutely works in our favor too. I know that wasn't your point, just throwing it in. Forcing a team to roll away from you is essentially a pressure in my book. You're taking away huge chunk of the field and timing routes by forcing that. Great problem to have.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10 yard split and 3 cone are the two most important drills in determining a pass rushers athleticism. 40 time is largely irrelevant
Did everyone really miss in my very short post that I wrote that 40 time is not the end all, be all some think, and that …

The quickness off the line is the real key, then technique and tenacity are also important.

AGAIN …. all I was saying is straight line speed is an asset that can help, but it was a only a 2 sentence post, and the 2nd sentence was entirely dedicated to saying that it is not a key trait for a pass rusher.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Did everyone really miss in my very short post that I wrote that 40 time is not the end all, be all some think, and that …

The quickness off the line is the real key, then technique and tenacity are also important.

AGAIN …. all I was saying is straight line speed is an asset that can help, but it was a only a 2 sentence post, and the 2nd sentence was entirely dedicated to saying that it is not a key trait for a pass rusher.
It's certainly a factor. It's as relevant as any cone drill, split etc... with not opposing O-line.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's certainly a factor. It's as relevant as any cone drill, split etc... with not opposing O-line.
It seems some are thinking of the pass rusher's role solely in terms of getting to a QB that stands in the pocket the entire time, and certainly I would agree that when the passer stays in the pocket like that straight line speed is much less important than quickness, power, pass rush moves etc ..., but clearly there are times where a pass rusher has to give chase to a QB running away from the pocket, and it's pretty silly to suggest measureable straight line speed is not a factor for a pass rusher in that situation.

Then, there is also the fact that a pass rusher isn't a pass rusher only with no other responsibility. It's not like he has no role on a running play, or he can give up on a pass play once the QB releases the ball. Speed is an asset for every player in every position, it just means less in some roles and situations.

kskboys

Reaction score
Looks like a nice rotational player. Not a bad starter opposite a stud and w/ disruptive DT's. Lacks twitchiness, but has superior technique and a host of pass rush moves. Don't agree that he has an elite first step. It's more a matter of him having good instincts and anticipating the snap count well.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Love the way he tackles and sacks people. Savagely throwing them to the ground. Nothing to worry about with penalties either because he doesn't land on the QBs, but throws them down like the waterboy...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.