Cowboys Should Consider Trading for Rosen

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
LOL, you haven’t been here very long have you? There’s posters here that will crap on anyone and everything every day.

I don't think fans of Seattle, Green Bay, Kansas City, etc are clamoring to trade a pick for Josh Rosen. You may be right about the fans wanting to complain about anything but Dak is not in a class that you can say that we SHOULD be sold on him.

Qcard

Reaction score
Arizona will never recoup the value for Rosen's 10th pick 1 training camp and 16 games ago...

Wow...Rosen was fired the day Kingsbury was hired.

Last edited:

csirl

Reaction score
I bet the Cards will take a 2nd for Rosen. Any new HC will prefer picks now rather than next year.

jay94

Reaction score
A second, it's clear no one is offering that, at this point it is looking like a third is their best option. It may cause division upon the team, but because of their own indecision has now cost this team dearly. I bet they could have gotten a second before the draft started, the fact their own decision has cost this team, this will be a bottom 5 team next year and likely bottom 2.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was very accurate in College. This kid, once he learns the Offense, can make reads, throw on time and into small windows. He can execute the back shoulder throws and he can throw you open. His statistics, while at UCLA are skewed because he did not have a great receiving core there. Lots of drops, lots of plays left on the field because of it and some INTs that he probably should not have gotten but for the poor play of the WRs in general. He's pro style, drop back QB in the more traditional style Offense. He fits Garretts Offense IMO. So what are you basing the production statement off of? If it's off of last year, I don't think that's smart or fair. Nobody, and I mean nobody was going to post stats in Az last year. How could you, they have no Offense, to speak of. This kid was literally running for his life on almost every play. Did he play well last year, no. No question, he did not but if you are asking me if anybody could have gone to Az and played well in that Offense, the answer is again, no. Nobody could have done well there because they don't have enough developed firepower there right now. The Worst OL in the League last year. That wasn't on Rosen because Az shortened their Offense up and went to a quick short route scheme and still, they struggled protecting him so that was all on the OL, for the most part.

If you look at other situations where top QBs went to bad teams and played in their rookie seasons, the results are not really all that different, in general. It takes time to learn the NFL game and that was not something that Rosen got. Just look at Aikmans Rookie year and compare it to what we see with Rosen.

Lets put aside the discussion about is he better then Dak and whatever else, for just a second. Let me ask you this, why does he have to be? Why do you say that this kid has to be better in order for us to be interested in him? How is that even a logical way to look at this situation?

And maybe he can play well as a pro, but it's all up in the air, and he hasn't proven anything other than he was a good college QB. Dak has proven that much - again, better stats and team record - and has proven more as a pro.

And, again, I understand it wasn't a good situation in AZ last year, but that doesn't mean he is very good and only the team was bad, it only means he is still unproven.

In the end, he is still a prospect who hasn't shown to be as good as Dak in either college or the pros, much less better, much less significantly better.

As for your question of why he has to be better for us to be interested, I've indicated that clearly and repeatedly. Yesterday I wrote the following, and you responded to it so I assume you read it.

If your point is he would be a great backup, and it would be great to see if he can develop into something more than we know now, I wouldn't disagree, but that's not a stand alone point. You also have to consider cost. Do we really want to give up something significant in terms of draft picks for a player that may well end up as nothing but a backup? I love the idea of a young, developmental QB and a strong backup, but a team that already has a young starter who is winning and productive while he matures looks for that in middle rounds, not at the top of the draft, nor do they trade away a top draft pick for it. That's my biggest issue with it. If we could trade away a 3rd or 4th round pick for Rosen I would be all for it, or maybe even a 3rd and a 4th spread over 2 drafts, but I think the asking price for a guy one year removed from being the #10 overall pick would be much higher than that.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Negative...Dak is terrible

Rosen has done nothing in the NFL and never lived up to the hype in college. You're comparing speculation to actual results, and it's moot anyway. Dallas isn't trading for him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
And maybe he can play well as a pro, but it's all up in the air, and he hasn't proven anything other than he was a good college QB. Dak has proven that much - again, better stats and team record - and has proven more as a pro.

And, again, I understand it wasn't a good situation in AZ last year, but that doesn't mean he is very good and only the team was bad, it only means he is still unproven.

In the end, he is still a prospect who hasn't shown to be as good as Dak in either college or the pros, much less better, much less significantly better.

As for your question of why he has to be better for us to be interested, I've indicated that clearly and repeatedly. Yesterday I wrote the following, and you responded to it so I assume you read it.

If your point is he would be a great backup, and it would be great to see if he can develop into something more than we know now, I wouldn't disagree, but that's not a stand alone point. You also have to consider cost. Do we really want to give up something significant in terms of draft picks for a player that may well end up as nothing but a backup? I love the idea of a young, developmental QB and a strong backup, but a team that already has a young starter who is winning and productive while he matures looks for that in middle rounds, not at the top of the draft, nor do they trade away a top draft pick for it. That's my biggest issue with it. If we could trade away a 3rd or 4th round pick for Rosen I would be all for it, or maybe even a 3rd and a 4th spread over 2 drafts, but I think the asking price for a guy one year removed from being the #10 overall pick would be much higher than that.

Why do you continue to compare him to Dak? I don't get that, at all. I mean, it's clear that we have been discussing the Backup QB position the entire time and yet, you continue to bring up Dak and compare him to Dak. You did it again in this post.

You also seem to continue to create a narrative that suggest a trade for something involving a pick higher then a 3rd. I clearly said that if we could get Rosen for a 3rd, would you do it? Clearly, the value I set on a deal like this is for a mid round pick. I've stated that over and over again. If it has not been made clear, the trade would involve a 3rd round pick in exchange for Rosen, which has been reported as his current value in the NFL by former player/analyst and GM.

Lets go ahead and boil it down right now. If you can't get Dak signed and in camp, what is your plan for QB? If Dak gets injured and we need to use a backup, what is your plan and who do we have that you believe can step in and win games for us?

csirl

Reaction score

This isnt true. Rosen was a significantly better college QB than Dak. Rosen was a sought after early 1st round pick. Dak was a day three project. Draft position reflects what scouts and NFL front offices thought of their college performances.

Rosen beat out an experienced NFL QB in training camp (Glennon). Yes he struggled in Arizona, but so did Sam Bradford who opened their season as starter. Whatever about Bradfords fragility, he is an experienced NFL starter with better than average skills.

To play devils advocate here, you could say that Rosen performed better than two established/experienced NFL starters on a dumpster on fire team with a dysfunctional coaching staff.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This isnt true. Rosen was a significantly better college QB than Dak. Rosen was a sought after early 1st round pick. Dak was a day three project. Draft position reflects what scouts and NFL front offices thought of their college performances.

Rosen beat out an experienced NFL QB in training camp (Glennon). Yes he struggled in Arizona, but so did Sam Bradford who opened their season as starter. Whatever about Bradfords fragility, he is an experienced NFL starter with better than average skills.

To play devils advocate here, you could say that Rosen performed better than two established/experienced NFL starters on a dumpster on fire team with a dysfunctional coaching staff.
and the draft scouts are ALWAYS right LOL not even close..AZ already giving up on him a year later isnt true reflection on Rosen but if he was the next big thing why no takers say at 17-32 in first round , Miami needs guy why not have traded third pick, not even a 2nd was offerd is my best guess because if it were going to happen they would have done it already..im betting a bunch of low 2nds and thirds were offered and that stung AZ at this point but when they wake up they will have to keep them both or take a lower pick..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do you continue to compare him to Dak? I don't get that, at all. I mean, it's clear that we have been discussing the Backup QB position the entire time and yet, you continue to bring up Dak and compare him to Dak. You did it again in this post.

You also seem to continue to create a narrative that suggest a trade for something involving a pick higher then a 3rd. I clearly said that if we could get Rosen for a 3rd, would you do it? Clearly, the value I set on a deal like this is for a mid round pick. I've stated that over and over again. If it has not been made clear, the trade would involve a 3rd round pick in exchange for Rosen, which has been reported as his current value in the NFL by former player/analyst and GM.

Lets go ahead and boil it down right now. If you can't get Dak signed and in camp, what is your plan for QB? If Dak gets injured and we need to use a backup, what is your plan and who do we have that you believe can step in and win games for us?

It should be obvious from what I've typed over and over why I compare him to Dak, and that unless there is tangible evidence he is clearly and significantly better than Dak there is no reason to spend significant resources to acquire him. Resources that could be used to acquire players that are clearly and significantly better than the player already in place.

I myself have said I would trade a 3rd round pick for Rosen, but I don't at all buy that Rosen could be acquired for a 3rd. A team doesn't use the #10 overall pick in the draft on a player one year, and trade him away for a bottom of the 3rd round pick then next. Believing that is even possible is pie in the sky nonsense.

As for your last paragraph, that is irrelevant to the points I have made about Rosen because it suggests the need for a quality backup QB overrides any concern for cost our what the resources could have been used on. I freely admit I'm not sold on Rush or White, but we can't use the kind of resources that could yield a high quality starter at another position for the sake of a backup.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

In what area was Rosen significantly better than Dak in college? Stats? Team success? Dak was above Rosen in both areas. How about physical gifts? Nope, Rosen falls short there too. He's not as strong or as mobile as Dak, and his arm strength isn't any better either.

I've acknowledged that the situation in AZ wasn't good last year, but that being the case doesn't prove Rosen is an outstanding NFL QB and everything falls on the team, it only means he is still in prospect status where we have to wait and see before we know.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
It should be obvious from what I've typed over and over why I compare him to Dak, and that unless there is tangible evidence he is clearly and significantly better than Dak there is no reason to spend significant resources to acquire him. Resources that could be used to acquire players that are clearly and significantly better than the player already in place.

I myself have said I would trade a 3rd round pick for Rosen, but I don't at all buy that Rosen could be acquired for a 3rd. A team doesn't use the #10 overall pick in the draft on a player one year, and trade him away for a bottom of the 3rd round pick then next. Believing that is even possible is pie in the sky nonsense.

As for your last paragraph, that is irrelevant to the points I have made about Rosen because it suggests the need for a quality backup QB overrides any concern for cost our what the resources could have been used on. I freely admit I'm not sold on Rush or White, but we can't use the kind of resources that could yield a high quality starter at another position for the sake of a backup.

I think Dak is who he will be after 3 full seasons starting and i think Rosen will be much improved this season over his rookie campaign (the same way many QB's grow their 2nd season). Basically i think Rosen's upside at this point is much higher than Dak's at this point, so with that being said if i could get him for a 3rd i would do it in a heartbeat and use the remaining 3 years on his rookie deal to keep building the rest of the team. Dak will make more and count more against the cap in the 1st year of his new deal than Rosen will count in the next 3 years of his deal combined

Status
Not open for further replies.