Cowboys Should Consider Trading for Rosen

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
If I didn't have a QB, I'd give up a 3rd rounder easily. Maybe even give up as high as a 2nd. I'm not sold on any of these 2019 Draft QBs who are slated to go in the 1st round...Rosen is right on par with them IMO and the same age. If you were planning to take a QB, might as well get a comparable prospect and keep your 1st rounder to address another position.

Or, if I were a team like the Saints, I'd definitely be willing to give up a 3rd rounder. Don't know if they think Bridgewater will be Brees' successor but if not, Rosen gets to sit for a few years and he needed that coming out college.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
There is. They have a new HC who wants Murray and not Rosen. Rosen is not a guy who is going to be successful on a team with little help around him. He's a guy who could be successful on a team who has a lot of help around him. The Cards are not that kind of team, they need somebody who can make things happen on their own. We are a team who can surround him with considerable talent.

Doesn't mean the guy doesn't have talent. He's just in the wrong situation IMO.
In other words the new coach doesn’t want him and is willing to waste the 1st rd pick the team made LAST year because he’s not good enough.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agreed.

Cowboys should consider this.

Cardinals can have #58.

Why? What has Rosen done either in college or in the pros to tell us he is a notably better QB than Dak? Statistically he has not been better at either level, nor has he won more at either level. In addition, he's not as good a pure athlete as Dak.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Mentally, he’s not what you want? What have you heard or seen? I liked his confidence coming out of college?
Everything I’ve read is he looks the part but mentally he’s not a leader of men and that may be what holds him back. It really makes no sense for the Cardinals to give up on him u less they know something we don’t.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There is. They have a new HC who wants Murray and not Rosen. Rosen is not a guy who is going to be successful on a team with little help around him. He's a guy who could be successful on a team who has a lot of help around him. The Cards are not that kind of team, they need somebody who can make things happen on their own. We are a team who can surround him with considerable talent.

Doesn't mean the guy doesn't have talent. He's just in the wrong situation IMO.
It’s more than that . Not long ago Murray was projected to go in the 2nd round. Not only that but they can trade down and get Murray. There’s a desperation there as if there is something wrong with Rosen. If Rosen was rookie of the year you think the Cardinals would get rid of him? No way.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Well, if the Cards are, in fact, interested in taking Murray, I can't argue with you. If that's the case, the Cards have screwed the pouch about as bad as is possible on that one.

Seriously I wouldnt even take Murray at that pick if I'm the cards.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Arizona is stupid if they trade him after 1 season then. Dak numbers speak for themselves. Since he has been in the NFL not many QBs can say they have been better. That would be more than a tad bit IMO.

Arizona is in a full blown YOLO movement with their team.

They just hired a coach that runs a wide open spread college offense to be their head coach after failing in the big 12.

mcmvp

Reaction score
It would be extremely wise for the Cowboys to consider it. QB is the most important position and it’s good to be deep there. If Dak gets dinged and Rosen steps in and performs well for a few games...then the worst case scenario is you can get a larger return if you trade Rosen. If he can be had for a 3rd, I don’t see the downside.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Rosen can be a very good NFL QB provided he has the right team and coaching. It wouldn't be surprising 5 years in the future to find he is better than Dak.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Now before everybody losses their mind, consider: Cardinals are rumored to be going after Murray. That probably leaves Rosen as expendable. Opinions on what it costs to get Rosen are all over the place. I think it's reasonable to think that you might be able to get him for a 3rd Rd pick.

Now a 3rd Rd pick is valuable for sure but lets say they would trade him for a 3rd, would you do this? While Rosen was with the Cards, their Offense was horrible and their OL was worse. Certainly not all of it was on Rosen but some of it was. He needs to be developed but lets say you traded for him. What you get is a kid with a lot of natural ability to throw the ball. Rosen has talent, there is no question about that. The real question is, does he have the rest of it? I don't think anybody can really know for sure what Rosen is, in that Cardinal Offense. Just too many holes and not enough talent around him. However, if you could trade for him, he immediately becomes the best backup option the Cowboys have on the team and who knows how good he might be behind our OL and with our skilled players? At the very least, he becomes a guy who can be a solid backup IMO. But more then that, he provides more leverage in negotiations with Dak. If the Cowboys go out and get Rosen, they immediately have an option at QB if Dak is unwilling to sign a reasonable deal or decides to hold out. It gives the Cowboys an option and gives them a year to let him learn the Offense. The Cowboys would not be in a position where they have to accept any terms Dak's agent gives them. Could very well drive a lower cost associated with Dak in negotiations. If he ends up being your starter, you have 4 years of a Rookie deal which allows you to use that cap to strengthen the team around a Rosen, if it comes to that. There are a lot of positives I can see to a trade for Rosen, assuming you don't have to spend a lot to get him. He might not be a bad option for the Cowboys to consider. He serves a purpose on the team. He provides a lot of flexibility if he has to become the starter. He gives you a very manageable cap number for another 4 years, he has starting experience and he can provide leverage in any Dak negotiation. He might be worth a 3rd round pick if he can save you from having to spend 30 million for 6 years as opposed to 25?

Good idea and i would try to get him.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
In other words the new coach doesn’t want him and is willing to waste the 1st rd pick the team made LAST year because he’s not good enough.

This is kinda off the subject but without wasting everyone's time, I will try and be brief in my thoughts here.

I think Kliff Kingsbury looks at Rosen and sees a QB who doesn't fit his system. I think that since he was not the HC who drafted him, he has no allegiance to him and is probably more interested in getting the QB who can make his system work. Since that person would probably be a rookie and Rosen is only a 2nd year QB, what you would be looking at is a young QB on his roster who probably never gets developed and never really helps the team. This has nothing to do with talent, it has to do with the time it takes to develop a Rookie QB. It's just too hard to try and develop two at the same time. I think Rosen is a dead end for Kingsbury and vice versa. Kingsbury is really probably doing Rosen a favor by trading him. When Az brought in Kingsbury, management basically wasted that 1st round pick and it had nothing to do with any decision Kingsbury made. Rosen doesn't fit that type of Offense. It's not a lack of talent thing IMO. Az new that going in so it is what it is.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Why can't we just see what if any improvement backup Mike White has in training camp. If he has any potential to be a starter.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It’s more than that . Not long ago Murray was projected to go in the 2nd round. Not only that but they can trade down and get Murray. There’s a desperation there as if there is something wrong with Rosen. If Rosen was rookie of the year you think the Cardinals would get rid of him? No way.

No. If Rosen was ROY, that would mean that Az had a lot fewer injuries, a lot better record and Kingbury would have never been hired because Wilks would have never been fired. So there never would have been a chance in the Offense and it's likely that Rosen is still in the future plans for Az. None of that happened so as a result, Rosen is no longer a fit.

GMO415

Reaction score
If any HC could relate to Rosen it's JG. Both of them are cerebral.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Rosen didn't just have a rough time because he was a rookie on a bad team. He LITERALLY had the lowest passer rating of any QB with significant snaps. #33 of 33.

His scouting report is really ugly in terms of just not having the mental make-up for an NFL QB. It can't just be taken as a given that he'll be an upgrade over Dak.

Weaknesses:
  • Durability
  • Has had at least one concussion
  • Has had shoulder, hand injuries
  • Poor intangibles
  • Questionable leadership traits
  • Quality of teammate
  • Different personality; could clash with teammates and coaches
  • Could have problems with the media

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Now before everybody losses their mind, consider: Cardinals are rumored to be going after Murray. That probably leaves Rosen as expendable. Opinions on what it costs to get Rosen are all over the place. I think it's reasonable to think that you might be able to get him for a 3rd Rd pick.

Now a 3rd Rd pick is valuable for sure but lets say they would trade him for a 3rd, would you do this? While Rosen was with the Cards, their Offense was horrible and their OL was worse. Certainly not all of it was on Rosen but some of it was. He needs to be developed but lets say you traded for him. What you get is a kid with a lot of natural ability to throw the ball. Rosen has talent, there is no question about that. The real question is, does he have the rest of it? I don't think anybody can really know for sure what Rosen is, in that Cardinal Offense. Just too many holes and not enough talent around him. However, if you could trade for him, he immediately becomes the best backup option the Cowboys have on the team and who knows how good he might be behind our OL and with our skilled players? At the very least, he becomes a guy who can be a solid backup IMO. But more then that, he provides more leverage in negotiations with Dak. If the Cowboys go out and get Rosen, they immediately have an option at QB if Dak is unwilling to sign a reasonable deal or decides to hold out. It gives the Cowboys an option and gives them a year to let him learn the Offense. The Cowboys would not be in a position where they have to accept any terms Dak's agent gives them. Could very well drive a lower cost associated with Dak in negotiations. If he ends up being your starter, you have 4 years of a Rookie deal which allows you to use that cap to strengthen the team around a Rosen, if it comes to that. There are a lot of positives I can see to a trade for Rosen, assuming you don't have to spend a lot to get him. He might not be a bad option for the Cowboys to consider. He serves a purpose on the team. He provides a lot of flexibility if he has to become the starter. He gives you a very manageable cap number for another 4 years, he has starting experience and he can provide leverage in any Dak negotiation. He might be worth a 3rd round pick if he can save you from having to spend 30 million for 6 years as opposed to 25?

I'd trade a 3rd for Rosen, but it isn't going to happen.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The Cowboys are more than likely to see what they have (or don't have) in Mike White before they commit haphazardly in someone like Josh Rosen to aid their cause. The Cardinals are likely hell-bound to get all they can to recover their original commitment for him, which would not serve the Cowboys well, imho. I expect Dallas to see what they have in Mike White before committing to a deal that might easily do them a disservice in the long run.

Actually, if the Cowboys were to make this move, I see White as the 3rd string developmental guy. I see no reason why we wouldn't continue to try and develop him. Rosen is the backup and Dak is the starter if all goes according to numbers. I see Rush as the odd man out in that scenario. If White develops, that's even better. You turn around and trade Rosen if White is good enough and get perhaps an even better pick for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.