Cowboys should hire Sean Lee as DC

TexasBacon

Reaction score
It's not that I don't think Lee has the skillset or know-how to be a great coach; I do. I would just worry about him being able to make that transition immediately and go from these guys being his brothers and teammates to having to get in their faces and make difficult decisions regarding who to play, cut (I know that's not solely his decision but he'd have alot of input in the defensive players), etc. I'd worry about him giving Jaylon too long of a leash, etc. Now once he retires and the roster is made up of guys he didn't play with I think it would be great. I'd also like him to get a bit of experience first, though Kellen made the transition very well after about 1 season of on the job learning.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Good lord.
They already have one learning on the job. They don't need anymore.

bandfan

Reaction score
For one, you are assuming he has his own defense designed and a playbook ready to go. Really kind of doubt that....

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Try him out as a QC assistant first....the right way. Haven't we seen enough stupidity from this organization? Columbo - elevated to OL coach way too quickly in Dallas, didn't even last 12 games in NY.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Now that Mike Nolan is a lock to be fired at the end of the year the Cowboys need to go in one direction and one direction only when it comes to defensive coordinator and that's Sean Lee. Lee is seeing less and less playing time and now would be a great time to retire and take over the defensive coordinator duties. Now I know there will be plenty of people that will say that I'm crazy or that Lee isn't ready and all that garbage but when have we've seen a guy with Lee's intellect, work ethic, and ability to break down film. Lee is so smart that he has even changed the D-coordinator's calls because he knew it wasn't the right defense for that situation. If I was Jerry Jones I would bring Lee into my office and tell him that it's time to retire but now you're going to be my new defensive coordinator and promise him that's we're going to do everything we can to bring guys in through either the draft and or free agency to help rebuild that defense.

I'd be a little concerned about what he's learned from the coordinators he's played for. I'm afraid that Lee would be a lot like Marinelli. That's not a bad thing from a technical side, but not every player can win strictly off technique. You need the right combination of risk (mixed blitzes and coverages) and technique/understanding the system. I think Lee would be great at studying his opponent, but if he'd be the type of coach who strictly plays bend but don't break (because that's what he's learned), I'm not sure how good he might be.

If we're going to go young, I'd prefer to get a coach who has worked under a DC (or DCs) with a great system. Lee could be hired as a linebackers coach to learn under that DC with an eye toward eventually becoming a DC.

foofighters

Reaction score
Now that Mike Nolan is a lock to be fired at the end of the year the Cowboys need to go in one direction and one direction only when it comes to defensive coordinator and that's Sean Lee. Lee is seeing less and less playing time and now would be a great time to retire and take over the defensive coordinator duties. Now I know there will be plenty of people that will say that I'm crazy or that Lee isn't ready and all that garbage but when have we've seen a guy with Lee's intellect, work ethic, and ability to break down film. Lee is so smart that he has even changed the D-coordinator's calls because he knew it wasn't the right defense for that situation. If I was Jerry Jones I would bring Lee into my office and tell him that it's time to retire but now you're going to be my new defensive coordinator and promise him that's we're going to do everything we can to bring guys in through either the draft and or free agency to help rebuild that defense.
Kinda like Garrett was given the OC job with little coaching experience and now we want to give a DC job to someone who's never coached on a college or NFL level?

cern

Reaction score
it would make for a nice story, but a bit too soon imo. i agree with those who have stated make him a lb coach first and learn the trade.

visionary

Reaction score

When will people learn that being a good player does not make you a good coach?

He needs to start as a position coach if he wants to and then if successful can be promoted

GMO415

Reaction score
He'll probably be too injured for that too. Hahaha

budsboys

Reaction score
I don’t think Sean lee is ready to be a defensive coordinator maybe lb coach first but definitely would love him on the staff and future defensive coordinator I just don’t want another coach learning on the job

cern

Reaction score
I don’t think Sean lee is ready to be a defensive coordinator maybe lb coach first but definitely would love him on the staff and future defensive coordinator I just don’t want another coach learning on the job
learning presupposes a teacher. who taught jason garrett to be a hc? no one. that's why he never learned.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Linebacker coach is the place to start, not DC.

He's basically held that job before but it would be the next step and not leapfrogging into the DC spot.

But to get rid of Nolan I would take Sean Lee. Or Sara Lee for that matter.

4fce6fb1ecad04aa6a00000b

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
as an assistant or a position coach maybe...no NFL player, no matter how smart or good can jump into such a high position.....that would be no different than making Kellen Moore the OC after one year of coaching.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Straight from player to DC huh, not defensive assistant or maybe LB coach nothing...that's a big jump.

It's crazy right? I sometimes wonder what we did, as a fan base, to deserve what we've seen for the last quarter century. Then I read threads like this. Didn't we do something like this with Garrett? Hire him as OC with zero experience as a Coordinator and then double down and hire him as HC so that we could spend a decade as a .500 team in a mediocre division? We've learned nothing it seems.

But good post on your part. Very astute.

Vandyr

Reaction score
You know who had a TON of experience when he got hired Mike Nolan, you know who SUCKS as a D-coordinator Mike Nolan! Don't give me that we need a coach with experience BS because Lee has enough game experience to know how to run the show. Lee knows the players and he knows the 4-3 defense Lee is the ideal pick in the perfect situation give the guy a shot!

Couldnt' be any worse than it is now. I'm all for Lee becoming DC.