Cowboys should non exclusive tag Dak

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Well one downside is that a team could offer a deal with a higher 2021 cap hit, if they can afford it, hypothetically like the Colts could, making it tough to match- if he signs that deal.

Or another team could offer the 4 year deal, while Dallas IMO really wants the 5 so they can play with cap hits early on.

So, there is some negative possibilities if another team is seriously interested in Dak.

There is no downside to getting 2 number 1 draft picks for him if he leaves.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
There's not a single team that would give up one first round draft pick. Much less two.

Exactly. A poor 1st half QB/good second half QB who can’t put full weight on his foot 15 weeks after a compound fracture and dislocation, won’t be able to pass a physical before the draft, probably won’t be able to run before the draft, might be able to begin throwing sometime in June, played with stacked offensive talent yet can’t deliver in playoffs, has accuracy issues at times, and ... wait for it ... wants $35-40M per year with a $100M guaranteed.

And some people think a team is going to give 2 1st rd picks. Crazy.

HungryLion

Reaction score
And some of those prospects have ?'s next to their name.

We have to accept one reality. In times of a shortage of A QB's, B's are going to get A money. It is simply a case of supply and demand.

How many of these teams would prefer to take their chance with a QB they've seen play as opposed to one they hope can play? They all want a Josh Allen but there are Josh Rosen's out there as well. If Prescott is made available for just 2 1sts, how much of their fanbase would be in favor of that.

Remember, the division in here over Prescott is not the real world. Most fans compare what is to what they don't have and there's is nothing not to like about Prescott.

I do think there are teams that would
Trade premium picks away for Dak. I really do.

of course the debate is. What is enough that makes trading Dak worthwhile?

and do the scouts or McCarthy think a QB they can draft, can be THE guy?

that’s a big question too.

you only do this if the scouts and Big Mike see a QB in the draft that they love and think has IT. And will be available around 10 or through a trade up with the picks you acquire for Dak

that’s something people don’t think about enough. They want to draft a QB just to draft one. Drafting a QB just to draft one is one of the worst things a team can do. You should only do it if the scouts and coaches think he is THE GUY

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That recent thread is what spurred me to bring up this topic.

a lot of QB hungry teams. And not enough high quality draft prospects to go around.

This brings a serious question, do we wanna be in that line waiting/looking for our next franchise QB like other teams ????? What we sometimes overlook is whoever replaces Dak, you're still facing the SAME financial question at the same position if he's your starter over the next 3-4 years.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You also have an additional kink in this. They used the exclusive tag last season and would now, after he got injured, offer less and let him seek employment elsewhere? You only do this if you want those 2 picks and have decided he's not the one. That would be the only reason to do this and you think you can't get more in a tag and trade.

It's been mentioned about the QB situation in the league right now. Want to be one of those teams? Want to turn these people loose on the QB search? Wanna bet they can't find the Ryan Leaf in this draft?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I do think there are teams that would
Trade premium picks away for Dak. I really do.

of course the debate is. What is enough that makes trading Dak worthwhile?

and do the scouts or McCarthy think a QB they can draft, can be THE guy?

that’s a big question too.

you only do this if the scouts and Big Mike see a QB in the draft that they love and think has IT. And will be available around 10 or through a trade up with the picks you acquire for Dak

that’s something people don’t think about enough. They want to draft a QB just to draft one. Drafting a QB just to draft one is one of the worst things a team can do. You should only do it if the scouts and coaches think he is THE GUY
Don’t waste your time explaining yourself brother. The Dak Haters think he should be happy if Jerry offered him 18 million a year. Mark my words. Dak’s contract will average 40 million and I bet his agent will probably want more then that when it is all said and done.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Exactly. A poor 1st half QB/good second half QB who can’t put full weight on his foot 15 weeks after a compound fracture and dislocation, won’t be able to pass a physical before the draft, probably won’t be able to run before the draft, might be able to begin throwing sometime in June, played with stacked offensive talent yet can’t deliver in playoffs, has accuracy issues at times, and ... wait for it ... wants $35-40M per year with a $100M guaranteed.

And some people think a team is going to give 2 1st rd picks. Crazy.

:lmao2:

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yup. Should have done this last year. Definitely should go that route this year with Dak coming off the injury.

I don't buy the 'jilted lover' concerns. This is a business and both sides are playing hardball. If a player gets upset with a non exclusive tag to the point where his play suffers do you really want him? Especially in a leadership position? Not to mention it would be a terrible attitude to take as it would likely affect future negotiations/earnings for the sensitive player.

I agree. To be honest, Dak always seems like the type of player that uses these kind of things to motivate him to train harder and play even better.

that’s one of the things I like about Dak. That type of personality he has where he uses situations to motivate him to “prove people wrong” or whatever it takes to push himself to train and practice hard.

so I don’t think it would negatively impact his play on the field at all. If anything it might help it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teams would give up 2 first round picks+ for Adams, Ramsey, and Tunsil but not Dak, a franchise top 10 quarterback? The hate is strong with this one:rolleyes:.
Yep, he might be surprised to see the teams that would do just that. Would any of them exchange their 1st round picks from the last 3 seasons for Prescott?

The question isn't about the picks as they can get picks back, the question is how much of their cap are they willing to give to Prescott? The problem with the Cowboys isn't what they'd have to pay Prescott, it's what they're already paying to other players. Not many teams have players at their level, especially 6-10 teams, down from 8-8.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. To be honest, Dak always seems like the type of player that uses these kind of things to motivate him to train harder and play even better.

that’s one of the things I like about Dak. That type of personality he has where he uses situations to motivate him to “prove people wrong” or whatever it takes to push himself to train and practice hard.

so I don’t think it would negatively impact his play on the field at all. If anything it might help it.
Prescott is the type person to not just pocket the money but prove he's worth it. That was instilled in him by his Mom and that's why he never relinquished the QB1 job after taking it in high school, college and the NFL.

That's why Aikman had to retract his comment about QB's not improving accuracy at the pro level. He was right, most don't as those are ingrained habits. He underestimated this QB and his dedication and drive.

The main reason I want them to get this done is that he won me over through his improvement and he's not been playing for a contract, it's something else for him, something far more important.

I do not know how much Dak Prescott has to give but we are going to get it all and I can't ask for anything more than that. I look forward to seeing him back on that field and putting it all out there. Are there better QB's Yes. But not better ones that were meant to be exactly where he is. I get a lump in my throat every time he scores and points to the sky and I think that is a lot of my fondness for him.

I don't know, folks, do you believe in kismet? How does this QB show up here and become the QB1? What are the odds of that happening? His path and his story are unique, just like his predecessor and I can't help but believe this was destined to be. This team is the team he always dreamed about being the QB on and he wasn't that good of a QB in college. What a crazy dream.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think one of the things the cowboys should do. If they don’t extend Prescott before the tag deadline, is make sure they use the non exclusive tag on Dak

Last year I think using the exclusive tag on Dak was a tactical mistake.

let other teams negotiate with him. Let him see his value on the open market.

You’re still protected by being able to match any deal he signs with another team, or by receiving 2 first rounders.

I think tactically it makes the most sense to use the non exclusive tag. Worst case scenario you get more information on his value relative to other teams. Which helps them in the negotiation process.

The danger in that is that you open up a bidding war for a player you would really like to keep. Any team that is willing to pay two first-round picks for Dak also would be willing to sign him to a deal Dallas wouldn't want to match.

So all you are essentially doing is trading Prescott for two first-round draft picks, which I know some fans would prefer. The problem with that is you may not find a quarterback his equal and that's even if the picks you received were early first-rounders. (Most likely, it would be some team in the middle of the round or later that would be willing to pay that price.)

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score

Yup. I don't believe Dak is the kind of man who would sulk about getting the N/E tag either.

When Dak turned down what seemed to be a fair extension in his third season the mantra was born of "Dak is betting on himself" and was lauded for it. Fair enough. I've got no problem with him doing what he feels is in his best interest. I admire him for it. Just the same as I would admire management for taking the same attitude which is essentially what tagging him as N/E would be doing.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yep, he might be surprised to see the teams that would do just that. Would any of them exchange their 1st round picks from the last 3 seasons for Prescott?

The question isn't about the picks as they can get picks back, the question is how much of their cap are they willing to give to Prescott? The problem with the Cowboys isn't what they'd have to pay Prescott, it's what they're already paying to other players. Not many teams have players at their level, especially 6-10 teams, down from 8-8.
I think the Football Team would do it and sleep well. The two picks would be in the late 20s with Dak and their defense. Good quarterbacks that are good people don’t grow on trees. There are not many men like Mr. Prescott and Washington certainly needs people like him representing their franchise.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
They'll sign Dak. Tagging him again would be too costly.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The danger in that is that you open up a bidding war for a player you would really like to keep. Any team that is willing to pay two first-round picks for Dak also would be willing to sign him to a deal Dallas wouldn't want to match.

So all you are essentially doing is trading Prescott for two first-round draft picks, which I know some fans would prefer. The problem with that is you may not find a quarterback his equal and that's even if the picks you received were early first-rounders. (Most likely, it would be some team in the middle of the round or later that would be willing to pay that price.)

Don’t get me wrong. It definitely has its risks. You make good points.

I just think the risks are worth the potential benefits from at least seeing what happens if he can negotiate with other teams. As opposed to the cowboys and Jerry negotiating against himself.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yup. I don't believe Dak is the kind of man who would sulk about getting the N/E tag either.

When Dak turned down what seemed to be a fair extension in his third season the mantra was born of "Dak is betting on himself" and was lauded for it. Fair enough. I've got no problem with him doing what he feels is in his best interest. I admire him for it. Just the same as I would admire management for taking the same attitude which is essentially what tagging him as N/E would be doing.

Agreed. I think fans look at things more emotionally than the players do. It is a business first and foremost. Most of the players understand that. The owners and GMs understand it.

For us fans. It’s not a business it’s our leisure activity. It’s our hobby. To watch and follow the team.

different emotional attachment.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I think one of the things the cowboys should do. If they don’t extend Prescott before the tag deadline, is make sure they use the non exclusive tag on Dak

Last year I think using the exclusive tag on Dak was a tactical mistake.

let other teams negotiate with him. Let him see his value on the open market.

You’re still protected by being able to match any deal he signs with another team, or by receiving 2 first rounders.

I think tactically it makes the most sense to use the non exclusive tag. Worst case scenario you get more information on his value relative to other teams. Which helps them in the negotiation process.

In a perfect world that MIGHT work, but we don't live in a perfect world. Now here's the problems with that idea. Now instead of just the Cowboys, the team that has always been Prescott's dream job, allowed to negotiate with him, every team can which when there is bidding it drives the price up. Then not only do the Cowboys have to worry about Prescott but will then have to negotiate the demands of a higher contract for Dalton in the event the Cowboys get an offer they don't match. Now for those that say the Cowboys don't have to worry about Dalton because they can use the picks they get for not matching the offer to move up and get one of the so called can't miss QB's but then how does those picks help the defense? Now another thing about those 2 #1 picks. What if Prescott holds off and doesn't submit another teams offer until after the draft so it's impossible to get one of those so called can't miss QB's and you didn't worry about Dalton so just who will be the QB for the 2021 season and how far do the Cowboys get? Using the non-exclusive tag is the right thing to do if everything works out in that perfect world but we don't live in that perfect world.

Steve007

Reaction score
Jerry would never do that. He wants Dak to be the Cowboys quarterback. He just does not want to make him the highest paid player in football. The Cowboys know that a team would give up two firsts for Dak. That is why they put the exclusive on him last season. Jones said it two seasons ago Dak is worth more the two first round picks. Of course the Dak haters scoffed at that notion.
I think you are right about Jerry, he doesn't want to pay him what he is asking. (yet). He is proud that he got Dak in the forth round and he wants everyone to know how smart he is. A lot of the great quarterbacks would renegotiate so the team could get talent around him. Dak took a hard stand on his contract and maybe Jerry is apprehensive about paying that kind of money to a quarterback that wont be flexible in the future. I do think Jerry will cave and pay Dak.