Cowboys should non exclusive tag Dak

HungryLion

Reaction score
They got you man, you got sucked into the Dak hate Vortex.

Nah man. No hate. Like I said. I still believe in Dak. If the cowboys sign him, great. I will be happy with it.

but I am also a realist. And a cowboys fan first. So I’m just thinking what the best negotiating strategy will be.

If the cowboys did let him go and drafted a QB. I’ll be buying their jersey too I’m sure and rooting them on. Just like I rooted on Romo before Dak and Aikman before all that.

never was much of a Quincy or Hutch guy lollll

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think one of the things the cowboys should do. If they don’t extend Prescott before the tag deadline, is make sure they use the non exclusive tag on Dak

Last year I think using the exclusive tag on Dak was a tactical mistake.

let other teams negotiate with him. Let him see his value on the open market.

You’re still protected by being able to match any deal he signs with another team, or by receiving 2 first rounders.

I think tactically it makes the most sense to use the non exclusive tag. Worst case scenario you get more information on his value relative to other teams. Which helps them in the negotiation process.

They should have done that to begin with imo.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The problem with this is thinking is that negotiating under the non-exclusive tag is not the same as negotiating on the open market. There are strings attached to negotiating with someone under the non-exclusive franchise tag that don't apply with the open market. In the open market a team doesn't have to negotiate knowing another team has the right to match, and it doesn't have to give up 2 first round draft picks if they sign him.

Sure that’s true. But it still gives the cowboys more information to go on, then they currently have IMO

HungryLion

Reaction score
His value on the open market is significantly higher than his value to us. That would be a dumb move

Here’s the thing though. Dak has shown he is willing to be patient and wait out a long term deal.

The reality is. He either gets signed long term thus off season, traded or moved, or he walks next year and you get nothing for him. It will be too cap prohibitive to tag him next year. So next year he would be truly an unrestricted free agent.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure that’s true. But it still gives the cowboys more information to go on, then they currently have IMO
I just don't see that it helps much. I think most teams that would negotiate with Dak if he were a free agent wouldn't even bother trying to negotiate knowing they had to give up 2 first round picks along with signing him to a big contract.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I just don't see that it helps much. I think most teams that would negotiate with Dak if he were a free agent wouldn't even bother trying to negotiate knowing they had to give up 2 first round picks along with signing him to a big contract.

You can’t let Dak play on the tag again though. That would be the worse case scenario.

so if you exclusive tag him. The only option is to resign Dak. And he and his agent know it.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dallas won either way in the sense our OL was garbage after the injuries and our defensive holes, particularly LB, became more evident than ever. It basically proved what Jerry said all along, this team was lacking in pieces.

And then Dak got injured, which in the financial scheme of things proved Jerry a ‘winner’, because Dak doesn’t have a long term deal and he’s coming off what, a broken leg and dislocated ankle. Is he going to be the same as before? How long does he have where he will be ready?

Contrary to popular belief, the FO has all the leverage in the world. Worst possible scenario is Dak plays on the franchise tag, turning into Marino, and is extremely p’d at the organization and walks. But the chance of that happening is slim to none.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dak is a much better QB than Bradford.

again I just don’t see any way somebody can definitively say they wouldn’t get a first for Dak.

The only way to know for sure. Would be to put him on the trade block or the non exclusive tag.

The days of Bradford and Osweiler are done. No team, unless they are completely dysfunctional, are pulling this. And remember, this is the COVID era with a high degree of economic uncertainty.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dak fired his agent in 2018 and signed France. This was after they got rid of Dez and made the offense “Dak-friendly”. Dak has been looking for a huge pay dat for years. If one were to guy by the tenor of Dak’s brother and boys in their tweets, it’s further confirmed he’s all about trying to get a whole bunch of money.

The guy has been saying for years he’s not taking any home-town discount. People need to stop painting this guy as done gullible victim to France. It was Dak who fired his agent and that too at a time, the organization was clearly making moves that showed they were in on him.

And this was hiring of France was done right after his horrendous 2017 season.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...give-dallas-hometown-discount-on-new-contract

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think one of the things the cowboys should do. If they don’t extend Prescott before the tag deadline, is make sure they use the non exclusive tag on Dak

You’re still protected by being able to match any deal he signs with another team, or by receiving 2 first rounders.

I think tactically it makes the most sense to use the non exclusive tag. Worst case scenario you get more information on his value relative to other teams. Which helps them in the negotiation process.

2 1sts for the right to pay Dak 40mil a year?
Sold!

HungryLion

Reaction score
The days of Bradford and Osweiler are done. No team, unless they are completely dysfunctional, are pulling this. And remember, this is the COVID era with a high degree of economic uncertainty.

It’s fine to disagree.

I just see teams giving away 2 firsts for safeties and left tackles and defensive ends. And mind you, really good players at those positions.

But still it makes me think there is absolutely 100% trade value there for Dak. Maybe not 2 firsts. But saying not even a first? I honestly don’t buy that.

I think there are teams that would definitely do a first for Dak.

khiladi

Reaction score
It’s fine to disagree.

I just see teams giving away 2 firsts for safeties and left tackles and defensive ends. And mind you, really good players at those positions.

But still it makes me think there is absolutely 100% trade value there for Dak. Maybe not 2 firsts. But saying not even a first? I honestly don’t buy that.

I think there are teams that would definitely do a first for Dak.

Two first probably not, but definitely a first based on how many teams are operating their offense. They definitely aren’t, IMOc pulling out the money on that level though. In the end, it’s about money and COVID is altering the dynamic economically. The salary cap is going down this season, based on what I know. And how this season plays out in this context is yet to be seen, as far as long-term financial impacts.

The reality is, you like Dak, I don’t. As far as Dak, I always said he could manage a game surrounded by strong talent, and while that may be getting you to the play-offs, it’s not, IMO, gonna be enough to sustain any run, especially long-term.

We both agree that many organizations are run by bad FOs that make dumb decisions. So based on my perception of Dak, it wouldn’t surprise me what people give up, even if it’s two first rounders, though I doubt it. And I think many organizations probably think he will give them what they need. I mean the Giants brought in JG to run their offense.

I always thought he makes for the ideal back-up, that can win you a few games to keep you in the playoff hunt. I wouldn’t even mind him as a backup here.

DCCowboys11

Reaction score

I thought the same thing last year. I’d go a step further and say had they done this he would be signed already. He would’ve gotten a chance to see the Cowboys likely valued him more than any other team. I don’t believe any other team would values Dak at more than 35 million per year. If so it would be a mistake. They can have him. Give me 2 first round picks and let’s roll.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do not underestimate the effect of the blame that fell on Booger in the media when he failed to get a deal done, few talking heads were taking his side. That is important to him, he really cares what they say about him.

The other side of that is a lot of opinions are formed by people watching these talking heads and Booger does not handle criticism well. He wants to be a hero. Sign Prescott and say "look what I did".

Imagine this. They put the non-exclusive tag on Prescott and he does well by his new team and they pick a stiff in the draft, the next Josh Rosen. First they try and take Lynch and Cook before him and then let him get away and now they don't even have a 2nd tier QB. You think the media wouldn't have a field day with that? Want to add to the fun of that? It's the WFT that signs him and they're the new Beast in the East. And not having a QB means they have to use 1st round picks to get one so the other positions suffer as well.

I do believe there are worse things than overpaying for Prescott. I also believe this FO is easily capable of screwing this up.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Two first probably not, but definitely a first based on how many teams are operating their offense. They definitely aren’t, IMOc pulling out the money on that level though. In the end, it’s about money and COVID is altering the dynamic economically. The salary cap is going down this season, based on what I know. And how this season plays out in this context is yet to be seen, as far as long-term financial impacts.

The reality is, you like Dak, I don’t. As far as Dak, I always said he could manage a game surrounded by strong talent, and while that may be getting you to the play-offs, it’s not, IMO, gonna be enough to sustain any run, especially long-term.

We both agree that many organizations are run by bad FOs that make dumb decisions. So based on my perception of Dak, it wouldn’t surprise me what people give up, even if it’s two first rounders, though I doubt it. And I think many organizations probably think he will give them what they need. I mean the Giants brought in JG to run their offense.

I always thought he makes for the ideal back-up, that can win you a few games to keep you in the playoff hunt. I wouldn’t even mind him as a backup here.

A fair and well reasoned post.

I do appreciate the points about dumb FO’s around the league.

unfortunately the cowboys also fall into that category as well. I am hoping for a day that won’t be the case. Lol

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can’t let Dak play on the tag again though. That would be the worse case scenario.

so if you exclusive tag him. The only option is to resign Dak. And he and his agent know it.
I'm not sure that is the worst scenario, but it certainly isn't the most desirable one.

One benefit of using the non-exclusive tag is that even if the team has to pay Dak to stay it is a lesser amount than under the exclusive tag. I guess that could help the Cowboy's bargaining position somewhat, but it could also inject some animosity into the negotiation.

robertfchew

Reaction score
Well one downside is that a team could offer a deal with a higher 2021 cap hit, if they can afford it, hypothetically like the Colts could, making it tough to match- if he signs that deal.

Or another team could offer the 4 year deal, while Dallas IMO really wants the 5 so they can play with cap hits early on.

So, there is some negative possibilities if another team is seriously interested in Dak.

then we get the 2 1's

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It's the worst thing you can do, because then you let other teams set the price.

Two firsts isn't a good return for Dak, especially when the teams who are going to try to get him aren't going to be picking early in drafts. If, say, the Colts offer him $44m, then Dallas is either stuck at matching that, or gets two picks in the late teens or 20s.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It's the worst thing you can do, because then you let other teams set the price.

Two firsts isn't a good return for Dak, especially when the teams who are going to try to get him aren't going to be picking early in drafts. If, say, the Colts offer him $44m, then Dallas is either stuck at matching that, or gets two picks in the late teens or 20s.

You really think the colts or another team offer substantially more than Dallas would be willing to pay anyway though? I guess is my question.

I just worry about Dak playing on the tag again. Him becoming an unrestricted free agent next season is worst case scenario IMO.