Cowboys should non exclusive tag Dak

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You really think the colts or another team offer substantially more than Dallas would be willing to pay anyway though? I guess is my question.

I just worry about Dak playing on the tag again. Him becoming an unrestricted free agent next season is worst case scenario IMO.
Not "substantially" by AAV, but I'd be worried about first-year cap hit if a team front-loads or meets Dak's request to only offer 3 years.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You can’t let Dak play on the tag again though. That would be the worse case scenario.

so if you exclusive tag him. The only option is to resign Dak. And he and his agent know it.

Exactly right. I wondered if you were listening, a year ago when we were talking about this, seemingly daily. You probably wondered something close to the same about me, or worse, which I would not have blamed you for.

:laugh:

Clearly, you were. Very nice Dak..... :clap:

HungryLion

Reaction score
Not "substantially" by AAV, but I'd be worried about first-year cap hit if a team front-loads or meets Dak's request to only offer 3 years.

The length could be used as a poison pill by another team. That’s a fair concern.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Well one downside is that a team could offer a deal with a higher 2021 cap hit, if they can afford it, hypothetically like the Colts could, making it tough to match- if he signs that deal.

Or another team could offer the 4 year deal, while Dallas IMO really wants the 5 so they can play with cap hits early on.

So, there is some negative possibilities if another team is seriously interested in Dak.
i think they wanted 7 but were compromising with dak at 5.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Exactly right. I wondered if you were listening, a year ago when we were talking about this, seemingly daily. You probably wondered something close to the same about me, or worse, which I would not have blamed you for.

:laugh:

Clearly, you were. Very nice Dak..... :clap:

I generally pay attention to what my elders have to say ABQ. ;)

John813

Reaction score
i think they wanted 7 but were compromising with dak at 5.

Wouldn't be surprised at 7. Lock him up forever and have a billion chances to restructure his deal.
No surprise if Dak/France shut down that 7 year deal as soon as they saw 7.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
This brings a serious question, do we wanna be in that line waiting/looking for our next franchise QB like other teams ????? What we sometimes overlook is whoever replaces Dak, you're still facing the SAME financial question at the same position if he's your starter over the next 3-4 years.

True but the other side of that coin is does Dallas pay Dak what he wants only to see the team do nothing during that time? While we can't see into the future, that is a risk and clearly the team is a lot further away from succeeding than just re-signing Dak.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
It's the worst thing you can do, because then you let other teams set the price.

Two firsts isn't a good return for Dak, especially when the teams who are going to try to get him aren't going to be picking early in drafts. If, say, the Colts offer him $44m, then Dallas is either stuck at matching that, or gets two picks in the late teens or 20s.

Currently Dallas picks at #10 in the first round and Indy sits at #21. While I see your point in getting back late teens or twenties in terms of a 1st round pick back, based on mock drafts these 2 picks in 2021 could recoup Dallas the following:

#10 QB Trey Lance
#21 CB Jaycee Horn

While draft picks are hot or miss, the point os Dallas has too many holes not to legitimately consider a rebuild via draft picks.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
A lot depends on where that team signing Dak is picking this year.

is this years first you get, the 15th pick or 25th?
that is a good point, also it depends on what dak would want, money wise and length of contract.
Another team would have to pay dak what and how he wants, plus give up the 2 1's.
Dallas would have to be prepared to let him go, if another team offers a better deal than they want to pay him.

Matching offers made is not a good thing.
If no one offers dak say 38 mil or more, then cowboys gain power in negotiating with dak, and if no offers at all, they gain a lot of power.
Dak is coming off a serious injury, so teams have to look at that. That might scare off some potential bidders.

saving 40 mil and getting 2 extra draft picks for dak is actually a good deal , providing you can get another good qb, and really cowboys would have 2 years
to find one. This coming year is not going to be a great year, they have too many issues. So the qb doesnt really matter this next season.
They would have 2 drafts to find one , while building a good defense.

I dont think jones boys would do this, they dont have the stones or foresight .

Motorola

Reaction score
Yup. Should have done this last year. Definitely should go that route this year with Dak coming off the injury.

I don't buy the 'jilted lover' concerns. This is a business and both sides are playing hardball. If a player gets upset with a non exclusive tag to the point where his play suffers do you really want him? Especially in a leadership position? Not to mention it would be a terrible attitude to take as it would likely affect future negotiations/earnings for the sensitive player.
I agree. This a serious stalemate, one that has fans and sports media speculating about what it exactly is....but no one (outside of the two parties) really knows the sticking point. I've read and heard different reasons/rumors:
1a) The contract length - the team wants a 5-year deal, the player counters with 4;
1b) The contract length - four years versus three;
2a) Annual salary - player requesting 35 -37 million, team counters lower
2b) Annual salary - player requesting 38 - 40 million
3) Guranteed money amount - [fill in the blank] - too high for team
Putting the non-exclusive tag on Dak will open the door to what the obstacle is, plus giving him an opportunity to see how interested other teams are for Dak to be their franchise QB.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Currently Dallas picks at #10 in the first round and Indy sits at #21. While I see your point in getting back late teens or twenties in terms of a 1st round pick back, based on mock drafts these 2 picks in 2021 could recoup Dallas the following:

#10 QB Trey Lance
#21 CB Jaycee Horn

While draft picks are hot or miss, the point os Dallas has too many holes not to legitimately consider a rebuild via draft picks.
KC got mahomes at # 10 lol , we got dak in 4th round , so they are there, if you can see them.
I like others doubt jones boys would actually pick the right qb.
I wonder if mahomes was even on their board.

csirl

Reaction score
If we put any type of tag on Dak, we'll be stuck with him. $30m gone on 1 win and most of a season on IR. Another $30m plus on a year of rehabing a serious injury?

No team will sign Dak until he passes a physical, which wont be until after the initial phase of free agency and the draft. Even when he passes a physical, its unlikely he will be 100% for a while longer. He is not going to come into camp all guns blazing and ready to go.

HungryLion

Reaction score
If we put any type of tag on Dak, we'll be stuck with him. $30m gone on 1 win and most of a season on IR. Another $30m plus on a year of rehabing a serious injury?

No team will sign Dak until he passes a physical, which wont be until after the initial phase of free agency and the draft. Even when he passes a physical, its unlikely he will be 100% for a while longer. He is not going to come into camp all guns blazing and ready to go.

They are going to put a tag on Dak. If they can’t resign him long term by the deadline. That is a 100% guarantee.

they aren’t just going to let him hit free agency with no protection, nor should they.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

#10 QB Trey Lance
#21 CB Jaycee Horn

They're not picking a QB :lmao::facepalm:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The skinny on this is they were closed to getting the deal done last year and ran out of time. The only thing that would prevent them from getting this done would be a health concern over the injury. But if there is a team that has shown injury concerns are of little concern, that's the Dallas Cowboys.

Still, they partially rebuilt that ankle and footwork is critical to passing. Will Dak be able to do the "hip shake baby" again? It is his lead ankle and not the plant foot.

Loso86

Reaction score
I think one of the things the cowboys should do. If they don’t extend Prescott before the tag deadline, is make sure they use the non exclusive tag on Dak

Last year I think using the exclusive tag on Dak was a tactical mistake.

let other teams negotiate with him. Let him see his value on the open market.

You’re still protected by being able to match any deal he signs with another team, or by receiving 2 first rounders.

I think tactically it makes the most sense to use the non exclusive tag. Worst case scenario you get more information on his value relative to other teams. Which helps them in the negotiation process.
You realize that has a great chance of biting us in the arse. There are other QB needy teams that would love to pay Dak

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Two firsts isn't a good return for Dak, especially when the teams who are going to try to get him aren't going to be picking early in drafts.

That is the trick. Teams who think they'll pick late are more likely to make offers, and better offers, because they expect to be giving up less value with their late picks.