CFZ Cowboys Should Stand Pat, Mortgage Youth, Not Future on Free Agent

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My thoughts exactly. We're only going to have all these young players for a short time. We need to capitalize on that time by adding more talent.
If we keep drafting like we have been. You’re saying your best players that you can afford to keep. And just keep drafting well.

jay94

Reaction score
Were not gonna win anything this year with this receiver group. The NFL is more open than ever, not taking a shot would be the dumbest idea ever. We miss plenty on drafting as well, Dak still has not looked as good as he did 2 years ago. The illusionary window you see is nothing more then a mere mirage, we lose quite a bit of talent next year too.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Dak Prescott does not have enough years left on his contract to restructure. The only way to bring his cap head down is to re-sign him. IMO, we need to roll over as much cap space as we can into next year. So no, I don't want to sign OBJ or Suh. But I do realize the addition of those guys could put us in the SB. No guarantees though.

rambo2

Reaction score
I'm thinking that they will sign OBJ and they should.

Einstein

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I heard the pregame on Sunday say he wants a longer contract than 1 year

Hardline

Reaction score
That's the successful blueprint the Cowboys have been following for the last 20 plus years.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Lack of speed and route running at WR is a weakness.

If we want to make hay in the playoffs, we need a WR that makes the defense worry about getting beat. I don't see him on this team. I see lots of possession receivers.

I'm generally cap cheap. But the team is good enough this year that I'd try to push it over the top with a little cash.

Verdict

Reaction score
i agree on not mortgaging the future but he signed last year with the rams for 4.25MM in Nov. if he did something similiar here it wouldn't have a material impact on the future and I don't think anyone is thinking long term with him given the injury history.
I am lukewarm on OBJ signing with the Cowboys, but he is a “name” that we might be able to sign on a short term deal (this season only) and get some draft pick compensation if OBJ finished the year out string and leaves in free agency.

OBJ wouldn’t count as a free agent signing for purposes of a comp pick, but his departure might count depending on his contract with his new team.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If we keep drafting like we have been. You’re saying your best players that you can afford to keep. And just keep drafting well.
But even drafting well, the players may not be NFL ready for a year or two. You need to add veterans at some point.

DanA

Reaction score
Long-term deals should be off the table but if he wants pro-rata what Gallup is earning (APY) I can get on board after he proves he’s still got the short area quickness and ability to break in and out of routes.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Long-term deals should be off the table but if he wants pro-rata what Gallup is earning (APY) I can get on board after he proves he’s still got the short area quickness and ability to break in and out of routes.

I like this, and maybe you can make it heavy incentive based deal.

Something like 3/4 million a year, another 2+ million for playing X amount of games and another few million in performance incentives.

starfan1

Reaction score
I dont think OBJ will be here. Jerry has what he wants. the cowboys are in discussions about this everywhere. he likes attention but shys away from putting his money where his mouth is in situations like this.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Few thoughts.

1) I don't know that there is any one addition we could make that would increase my confidence in winning a super bowl.
2) Not sure WR is the position most likely to increase my confidence. I mean if you are going to play defense & run the ball, maybe strengthen those areas.
3) OBJ deserves credit for what he did last year. But let's not forget he had pretty much fallen completely off the radar prior to that. I'm leery of his motivations.

kskboys

Reaction score
OBJ aside, the team needs to be more aggressive in FA.

We should be filling holes in FA (doesn’t have to be pro bowlers) and then drafting BPA.

Every weakness we’ve seen from this team this year was so blatantly predictable in the offseason and the FO did practically nothing to fix it.
Draft BPA? You'll be lucky to be a .500 team. No one drafts BPA, that would not work.

Now, what you don't do is pass up obviously better players just to fill needs. That is also dumb.

Sydla

Reaction score
Right. But he's talking about his next contract being a long-term, high-dollar contract.

On that the Cowboys should make a hard pass. Because they're in a good spot right now with youth on their roster.

He can talk all he wants. He's not getting a big long term contract from anyone at this point until he proves he can play after a surgery.

I don't care what happens to him in 2023. I just think we could use him in 2022.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Lack of speed and route running at WR is a weakness.

If we want to make hay in the playoffs, we need a WR that makes the defense worry about getting beat. I don't see him on this team. I see lots of possession receivers.

I'm generally cap cheap. But the team is good enough this year that I'd try to push it over the top with a little cash.
I don't think OBJ is that guy anymore. He is equivalent to what we have IMO - Good addition if healthy but not a game breaker anymore. He averaged 12 ypc last year.

offlimits

Reaction score
Agree. A one-year deal with an option for an additional year.