CFZ Cowboys Should Stand Pat, Mortgage Youth, Not Future on Free Agent

cnuball21

Reaction score
Draft BPA? You'll be lucky to be a .500 team. No one drafts BPA, that would not work.

Now, what you don't do is pass up obviously better players just to fill needs. That is also dumb.

Not passing up better players to draft for need is drafting BPA.

Granted you can kick the super low value positions to the side but this is how you maximize talent while keeping salaries in consideration to the cap.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
But even drafting well, the players may not be NFL ready for a year or two. You need to add veterans at some point.
That’s why you have to be able to keep your own veterans. I totally agree. I need captains out there

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
i agree on not mortgaging the future but he signed last year with the rams for 4.25MM in Nov. if he did something similiar here it wouldn't have a material impact on the future and I don't think anyone is thinking long term with him given the injury history.

Exactly, and a move like this with OBJ could help get us that one piece that is glaringly missing from our team.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This whole talk about Beckham is silly. The only way I would sign Beckham is if he wants to play on a 1-year deal. This team can be competitive for several years now. In other words, with the way our roster is sitting, if we were just to focus on maintaining our guys for the next 5 years, we may have a squad that could pull of 2 or 3 championships in that kind of time span.

I know we can free up some cap space by restructuring Dak, and releasing guys like Tyron Smith and Zeke later on, but I still can't figure out why you'd want to saddle your team with that much depth when you've yet to sign a few key guys.

We could end up like the Rams.

I would like to see Jerry go out with multiple championships in 2022.

On the other hand, maybe we could get this done, say, if Dak were to agree to restructure contingent on signing someone like Beckham.

Dak's brother, Tad, who really is a loud mouth jackass, was talking about how all other teams have made moves to get better (the Cowboys traded for Hankins, by the way) and basically insinuated the Cowboys were sitting on their hands.

The Cowboys have something with this unit, and they're young. So to me, I'd rather spend my money on them rather than giving it to someone who honestly may not even help this team in 2023, given he tore his ACL last year about 6 weeks after Gallup.

We know Gallup worked hard, and he still hasn't returned to 100% of the player he once was. He's getting there, but wouldn't we be better off with a cheaper option? Or investing in depth at another position?

I know Beckham could improve the team, but there's only one ball to go around. And only so much money to spend now and in the future. And so many holes to fill. I think we should wait and see how efficient/explosive we can be in the next few games to make that call.

I also think we need Dak to put his money where Tad's mouth is, and restructure enough to make it worth signing someone like Beckham.

If there ever was a time to firm Dak up on the idea of restructuring like Tom Brady did with his winning teams, it's right now.
Even if he signed for a couple of seasons, it wouldnt have much if any impact on what the Cowboys in terms of extending players. The only major extention that is going to kick in any time soon is Diggs. By the time Lambs and Parsons extentions kick in, Beckham will be long gone

shabazz

Reaction score
This whole talk about Beckham is silly. The only way I would sign Beckham is if he wants to play on a 1-year deal. This team can be competitive for several years now. In other words, with the way our roster is sitting, if we were just to focus on maintaining our guys for the next 5 years, we may have a squad that could pull of 2 or 3 championships in that kind of time span.

I know we can free up some cap space by restructuring Dak, and releasing guys like Tyron Smith and Zeke later on, but I still can't figure out why you'd want to saddle your team with that much depth when you've yet to sign a few key guys.

On the other hand, maybe we could get this done, say, if Dak were to agree to restructure contingent on signing someone like Beckham.

Dak's brother, Tad, who really is a loud mouth jackass, was talking about how all other teams have made moves to get better (the Cowboys traded for Hankins, by the way) and basically insinuated the Cowboys were sitting on their hands.

The Cowboys have something with this unit, and they're young. So to me, I'd rather spend my money on them rather than giving it to someone who honestly may not even help this team in 2023, given he tore his ACL last year about 6 weeks after Gallup.

We know Gallup worked hard, and he still hasn't returned to 100% of the player he once was. He's getting there, but wouldn't we be better off with a cheaper option? Or investing in depth at another position?

I know Beckham could improve the team, but there's only one ball to go around. And only so much money to spend now and in the future. And so many holes to fill. I think we should wait and see how efficient/explosive we can be in the next few games to make that call.

I also think we need Dak to put his money where Tad's mouth is, and restructure enough to make it worth signing someone like Beckham.

If there ever was a time to firm Dak up on the idea of restructuring like Tom Brady did with his winning teams, it's right now.

I’m still dazed that I actually agree with that one thing that Tad said…….I think come playoff time, his assertion may come to fruition

Praxit

Reaction score

...well sounded viewpoints, mate. Yer spot on with winning at least couple of championships, before window closes.

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score

I agree with the keeping the young talent in place because truth be told if we're able to keep Diggs, Pollard, Micah, CD we got a great future ahead of us. Especially when you factor in the way McClay has been hitting solid picks in the draft, we could be looking at a perennial winning setup here. I would sign OBJ to a two to three year deal with the 3rd being optional give him up front money guaranteed that way he has that feel of a longer than rent a WR deal. Then you can possibly give you a boost that will neutralize that secondary in Philly especially with the collection of TE's we have to work the middle of the field for Dak. Your run game opens up and you didn't mortgage any of your future but you secured your present by getting a guy you don't necessarily have to scheme open he runs great routes. This keeps that monster D rested and foaming at the mouth. I think we will be very hard to handle if this offense can add that fire power where teams can't simply expect to use a run game that often because we'll be scoring points moving the chains.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
The NFC is weakened. The Eagles are head and shoulders above the rest right now. The 9ers will be super dangerous by the end of the season. Minnesota is 7-1 but has plenty of holes.

Dallas is not far behind the Eagles and 9ers. They will face the Vikings in two weeks. I am on board with adding talent to the roster. I would pursue OBJ and Suh for the rest of the season run.

The youth that Dallas has can learn from champions and the vets are merely rentals.

I endorse this post.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't think OBJ is that guy anymore. He is equivalent to what we have IMO - Good addition if healthy but not a game breaker anymore. He averaged 12 ypc last year.

You're right. You got me to look at the numbers. YPT under 7 last year. Catch% mid to low 50s. Ugh.
He's another Zeke. Peaked his rookie season, and has slid since.
A nobody who can run fast and play ST is probably more useful. We got any of those on the PS?

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score

I respectfully disagree. This is the year. This defense with a strong offense could very well take home the Lombardi, and if I'm the Jones crew, I'm all in.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. This is the year. This defense with a strong offense could very well take home the Lombardi, and if I'm the Jones crew, I'm all in.

As we should be imo. This is the best chance we've had in a long time to get the Lombardi. I think we should be going all in.

ondaedg

Reaction score

You were doing great until you went off on a Tad Prescott rant. And why do you care about us spending money on a guy for the playoff run? So we can’t rollover a few million to next season’s cap big deal.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You're right. You got me to look at the numbers. YPT under 7 last year. Catch% mid to low 50s. Ugh.
He's another Zeke. Peaked his rookie season, and has slid since.
A nobody who can run fast and play ST is probably more useful. We got any of those on the PS?
you mean getting Turpin MORE involved in the offense running some real routes from the slot.. yes :)

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Even if he signed for a couple of seasons, it wouldnt have much if any impact on what the Cowboys in terms of extending players. The only major extention that is going to kick in any time soon is Diggs. By the time Lambs and Parsons extentions kick in, Beckham will be long gone

As I said, I'm not opposed to getting a guy like Beckham.

My point is that the few teams that manage to consistently appear in playoffs year after year, which is what we can legitimately strive to be, we need to execute in the offseason and become consistently successful at filling vacant holes and upgrading weak spots (holes) year after year in free agency and the draft.

We've had recent success in the draft, and while I often argue that the quality of your evaluation is more important than your draft position as a strategy, it also doesn't hurt to have money to spend on the right players, strategically speaking.

I would just rather operate with the goal of winning multiple years with your core group, but a different group every year. So while evaluation is key, I concede that money can also help.

So I'm insinuating several things here. Mostly, that if we do end up signing Beckham, it shouldn't be for a ton of money that would strap this team and prevent them from signing their own players, but other players who can upgrade the team of base players they currently have. And we should also sell Beckham more on the benefits of being in Dallas. Even if it isn't under the highest paying contract on paper, he can still make more money here than elsewhere. And his agent needs to inform him of that during this process if he isn't already aware.

On the other hand, Dak would also be wise to restructure, because doing that could also pay off for him for the same reasons.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You were doing great until you went off on a Tad Prescott rant. And why do you care about us spending money on a guy for the playoff run? So we can’t rollover a few million to next season’s cap big deal.

He's talking about big bucks, though.

Or implying that. Like, this is why Amari Cooper was allowed to walk for a 5th rounder.

And Tad's comments are relevant. They are likely also indicative of how his brother feels. Tad can say things for Dak that Dak can't say. That's how family rolls, fam.

Nothing wrong with that. I'm not trying to kick the guy too hard. But while we're talking about the topic, or while Tad is talking (likely for Dak) about whether we pull the trigger on upgrading our roster like every other team (as he points out we've failed to do), Dak's contract and the possibility of restructuring said contract, warrants being a focal point.

That is, if we are able to establish a culture of being a consistent contender over several years rather than the instant gratification approach.

Otherwise, if we were not being prudent, then no, Tad's comments wouldn't be pertinent.

I'm not dissing on Dak here. I'm pointing out how his brother's comments shine light on how it'd be prudent for everyone for Dak to restructure given how loaded with talent we are as a team.

It wouldn't be a crime to raise the bar from getting in the playoffs this year, to competing every year. Which sounds obvious, but that hasn't been their mentality for a while now. At least, not in the sense where it was part of the team culture.

ondaedg

Reaction score
He's talking about big bucks, though.

Or implying that. Like, this is why Amari Cooper was allowed to walk for a 5th rounder.

And Tad's comments are relevant. They are likely also indicative of how his brother feels. Tad can say things for Dak that Dak can't say. That's how family rolls, fam.

Nothing wrong with that. I'm not trying to kick the guy too hard. But while we're talking about the topic, or while Tad is talking (likely for Dak) about whether we pull the trigger on upgrading our roster like every other team (as he points out we've failed to do), Dak's contract and the possibility of restructuring said contract, warrants being a focal point.

That is, if we are able to establish a culture of being a consistent contender over several years rather than the instant gratification approach.

Otherwise, if we were not being prudent, then no, Tad's comments wouldn't be pertinent.

I'm not dissing on Dak here. I'm pointing out how his brother's comments shine light on how it'd be prudent for everyone for Dak to restructure given how loaded with talent we are as a team.

It wouldn't be a crime to raise the bar from getting in the playoffs this year, to competing every year. Which sounds obvious, but that hasn't been their mentality for a while now. At least, not in the sense where it was part of the team culture.

We don’t know what kind of bucks we’re talking about so it wouldn’t make sense to base your argument on an assumption. And another assumption is we let Amari go because of his contract when we really don’t know what pushed JJ to do that. Bringing in one free agent isn’t going to change the long term culture nor is it going to hurt us in the future. Even if we don’t bring OBJ in we’re going to have some cap challenges with the upcoming contracts of these young players we have. That’s inevitable and not worth stressing about right now.

Tad is a social media cheerleader and that is all. I don’t blame him for wanting success for his brother but I don’t stress about anything he says.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

OBJ wants protection because he has torn his ACL twice in the last two seasons. He has his media buddies drumming up competition. I doubt any team will offer up more then a one year deal. I can’t see a team doctor signing off on that knee.:huh: