CFZ Cowboys Should Stand Pat, Mortgage Youth, Not Future on Free Agent

baltcowboy

Reaction score
OBJ aside, the team needs to be more aggressive in FA.

We should be filling holes in FA (doesn’t have to be pro bowlers) and then drafting BPA.

Every weakness we’ve seen from this team this year was so blatantly predictable in the offseason and the FO did practically nothing to fix it.
Free agency is tricky. The Eagles hit home runs but other teams have blown it. Jacksonville and Miami for example have been awful. The Cowboys have done well with the draft. I would rather take my chances on a Clark then Roquan Smith for the price he will cost the Ravens. Yeah you get a Tolbert but I would have Smith and Williams over Armstead and Gregory. Free agents fail for the most part.

kevm3

Reaction score
Philly won a SB and rebuilt in all this time that we've been avoiding 'mortgaging the future'. Do we actually want to win a superbowl or do we just want to perpetually have a 'competitive team' that never gets past the 2nd round of the playoffs?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Free agency is tricky. The Eagles hit home runs but other teams have blown it. Jacksonville and Miami for example have been awful. The Cowboys have done well with the draft. I would rather take my chances on a Clark then Roquan Smith for the price he will cost the Ravens. Yeah you get a Tolbert but I would have Smith and Williams over Armstead and Gregory. Free agents fail for the most part.

It is, but you still have to take your shots to try and make the team better.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It is, but you still have to take your shots to try and make the team better.
Depends on who is out there. Next season we could use a good defensive tackle. The team also has guys that are coming up on contracts besides CeeDee and Diggs. The Break show talked about the Cowboys trying to get a deal done with Steele but his agent wants to wait. I like Steele but if he wants premiere tackle salary I would trade him. This is what frustrates me about the Cowboys. Steele is the perfect trade piece in the offseason if you believe in Wolesko.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Obj. Not needed.
Just make the best use of the talent we have

cnuball21

Reaction score
Depends on who is out there. Next season we could use a good defensive tackle. The team also has guys that are coming up on contracts besides CeeDee and Diggs. The Break show talked about the Cowboys trying to get a deal done with Steele but his agent wants to wait. I like Steele but if he wants premiere tackle salary I would trade him. This is what frustrates me about the Cowboys. Steele is the perfect trade piece in the offseason if you believe in Wolesko.

Easy…Daron Payne. Glaring need and a good player that is better than anything we have means can’t miss but we don’t do it.

Steele doesn’t deserve to be paid like a top OT so that’s be a hard pass.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Easy…Daron Payne. Glaring need and a good player that is better than anything we have means can’t miss but we don’t do it.

Steele doesn’t deserve to be paid like a top OT so that’s be a hard pass.
Bingo!! Payne would be perfect.

kskboys

Reaction score
OBJ aside, the team needs to be more aggressive in FA.

We should be filling holes in FA (doesn’t have to be pro bowlers) and then drafting BPA.

Every weakness we’ve seen from this team this year was so blatantly predictable in the offseason and the FO did practically nothing to fix it.
Problem is, the FO is in a shambles when it comes to FA. They've tried everything w/i their power and failed, so now they have no idea what to do.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Problem is, the FO is in a shambles when it comes to FA. They've tried everything w/i their power and failed, so now they have no idea what to do.

Yup, recent blunder with Cooper is case and point. Make a dumb move, get terrible return, think you’re covered at WR when you’re not then try to scramble to get it fixed.

Or swing OT and DT in FA…the list goes on.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
A few things:
1. There is near zero reason to worry about Dallas overpaying OBJ. Jerry is already telling him publicly that star is worth 5M a year forever going forward.
2. A 2-year deal that has 2 void years is available in Dallas if they choose it because they haven't for almost anyone else.
3, A 2-year 20M deal with OBJ could look like this.

SB. 10M
year 1: 1M cap hit: 3.5M
year 2 9M cap hit: 11.5M IF not restructured
year 3 Void 5M dead
year 4 Void -----------

SB. 10M
year 1: 1M cap hit: 3.5M
year 2 9M ---8M restructure cap hit: 6.16M IF restructured
year 3 Void 11M dead
year 4 Void -----------

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yup, recent blunder with Cooper is case and point. Make a dumb move, get terrible return, think you’re covered at WR when you’re not then try to scramble to get it fixed.

Or swing OT and DT in FA…the list goes on.
Cooper move was likely smart.
Eventually fans and media will realize this.
In meantime I'll keep pointing it out.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Cooper move was likely smart.
Eventually fans and media will realize this.
In meantime I'll keep pointing it out.

Yea, let’s see when we actually have to play throw the ball a bit more against a good defense or in the playoffs.

Strongly disagree.