Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign C/G Joe Looney

Daillest88

Reaction score
Now Bennett and I’m good with our players I wanted to keep. Gotta get a safety or corner man

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Kinda wished we could've signed him for more than 1 year.
I don't have an issue with the one year. There is no reason to do more unless you know he fits into the long-term plans.

He is just another example of we like what we have.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Holy crap. That board all agrees on this being a good signing.

shut it down
giphy.gif

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Your swing tackle does not need to be a backup. The best five players play.
If McGovern beats Williams, Williams is probably the top backup at G and T. If Williams holds onto his LG spot, he can still be the swing tackle when needed with a backup guard coming in.

garyv

Reaction score

The Cowboys and center/guard Joe Looney have agreed on a one-year deal, according to multiple sources. Looney has started 20 games in his four seasons with the Cowboys, including all 16 in 2018 when he took over for Travis Frederick. Looney can play multiple spots on the offensive line, which is a plus, and showed two years ago he can be a full-time player.

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

I wish it would have been a two year deal

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Kind of interesting since we've got Connor McGovern and Adam Redmond who can play center.

I wonder if this coupled with cutting Fleming means that we're strongly considering McGovern for that starting guard spot and making Williams the swing tackle.

That would give us backupwise Williams as game-day swing tackle, Looney as game-day center/guard and Redmond and Knight as the other backups. Obviously, Redmond and Knight's spots will be up for grabs for someone to beat them out.

Knight played well last year.

Wouldn't sleep on him.

Also, Philbin might be a bit more of a "move guys around" coach. That might mean, we've got a backup RT but not a swing. La'el plays LT if Smith is hurt. Potentially also puts Martin in play as a backup at many positions because of out interior depth as he's the best of the OL.

Ebnorice

Reaction score
Damn it wish it was a five year deal. He is going to get a big contact after he dominates all year at LG.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Knight played well last year.

Wouldn't sleep on him.

Also, Philbin might be a bit more of a "move guys around" coach. That might mean, we've got a backup RT but not a swing. La'el plays LT if Smith is hurt. Potentially also puts Martin in play as a backup at many positions because of out interior depth as he's the best of the OL.

I did like what I saw from Knight and expect him to make the team.

Good point on the possibilities with Philbin. It might be whatever the best five is, even if that means moving Collins to the left side. I don't think coaches generally like to do that, though.