Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign C/G Joe Looney

HungryLion

Reaction score
Your swing tackle does not need to be a backup. The best five players play.
If McGovern beats Williams, Williams is probably the top backup at G and T. If Williams holds onto his LG spot, he can still be the swing tackle when needed with a backup guard coming in.

Don’t forget about Brandon Knight. The team kept him last year for a reason. He could develop into the swing T also.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That was the unspoken plan when McGovern was drafted.

True, but then he got hurt and Williams showed some progress. If this was still Garrett's staff, then Williams would probably be cemented in as a returning starter. McCarthy may be more open to best man starts.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't have an issue with the one year. There is no reason to do more unless you know he fits into the long-term plans.

He is just another example of we like what we have.
Well, with both of the Connor's being duds so far (one for position fit/strength and the other being a no-show his rookie year), I feel the one O-lineman with proven ability/availability/flexibility to cover not only the center position but also the LG spot is crucial. Having just one player capable of competently back-filling 3 interior positions, as not only a pinch-starter but even as a season-long starter (2018), is a luxury that most other teams don't have.

Honestly, I'm still scratching my head on why, after his reviving/fairly impressive stint with the Cowboys, he didn't roll it all into a contract as a starting interior player for a desperate team ($$$).

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
giphy.gif
Always gets a like from me for obvious reasons.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I did like what I saw from Knight and expect him to make the team.

Good point on the possibilities with Philbin. It might be whatever the best five is, even if that means moving Collins to the left side. I don't think coaches generally like to do that, though.

Lots of teams go best 5. Few have a guy like Zack who can make the line calls at Center and slide out to T and be effective.

I honestly don't like best 5 as you might create a set of players where some multiple guys aren't in their best spot rather than having one guy who you need to help.

quickccc

Reaction score
after Looney's 2018 season when he played all 16 games and every snap in surprisingly solid fashion in subbing for Fredrick, i would have thought an
overpaying NFL team would come after Looney as a potential starter candidate.
hes a solid backup center. but yet club supposedly likes andy redmon who is said to be able to play center/OG as well.
redmon made the 53 roster but i believe he was later on IR'ed.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

The Cowboys and center/guard Joe Looney have agreed on a one-year deal, according to multiple sources. Looney has started 20 games in his four seasons with the Cowboys, including all 16 in 2018 when he took over for Travis Frederick. Looney can play multiple spots on the offensive line, which is a plus, and showed two years ago he can be a full-time player.

i

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

Yes! I like this!

Aven8

Reaction score
Connor Williams just became the backup. Come on Philbin!