Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign CB Deante Burton off Colts' practice squad

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why assume he will play over Olumba, they need to fill a roster spot for depth at CB. Doesn't mean he will play over Olumba any time soon.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chance to get a guy they like off of another team’s Practice squad. Had they moved Olumba up, they couldn’t have signed Burton off of Indy’s PS to be on the Dallas PS. This way they have both Burton and Olumba.

I suspect that McClay had flagged Burton as a guy they liked on another team’s PS and this was a chance to steal him from Indy. They probably view Olumba and Burton as about the same player, and since neither would play a lot, decided to take the chance to get a guy they liked.

This explanation is so much more boring than an emotional knee jerk reaction

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ugh not happy about him wearing #33.

Yes, he'll never live up to the great CB Nate Jones wearing #33...

JKEGSFEN52S6S62JJBNF46YKSQ.jpg

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Why assume he will play over Olumba, they need to fill a roster spot for depth at CB. Doesn't mean he will play over Olumba any time soon.

Well, one will have shoulder pads and a helmet on, and the other won't, so I think it's a pretty decent assumption.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same book stash. Olumba will end being a contributor on someone else's roster some day and we'll keep signing PS fodder. Not saying Olumda is Darren Woodson but it seems we never get to find out about any of these guys until we see them in a different uniform...

I don't know where these narratives originate. Olumba looked OK in the preseason but his speed is limited which really limits his upside at CB. He looks more like a Strong Safety than a CB and probably tackles better than Thompson did last week...
Maybe he can be the next Tony Lippett pre Achilles tear.

At least Tony Lippett was better than Lippy Lipshitz...

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
* the fecals rapidly facilitated our witnessing of the #89's on-field exploits, ya know, come to think about it,,,o_O

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
yes I realized after I posted. I was thinking at first Olumba was on the roster.
I recall seeing him in a couple of preseason games& he was putting it all out there on the playing field, my final limited observation tally graded out: I liked the dude,as he could occasionally lay the "thump"
( when not juked outta' position):thumbup:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I recall seeing him in a couple of preseason games& he was putting it all out there on the playing field, my final limited observation tally graded out: I liked the dude,as he could occasionally lay the "thump"
( when not juked outta' position):thumbup:
He did some really good things in preseason, but it was mostly against bottom level players. Seems I recall he really is very slow for the position - maybe like a 4.7 40 time.