Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign CB Mackensie Alexander

John813

Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot articles of him being mainly a slot corner and supposedly a good one year 3 and 4 with the Vikings. But that was a Viking website so maybe a grain of salt there. Anywho. It’s another corner to try and see

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The worst thing about Hunter was he didn’t play at all from September 2006 until the playoff game January 2007. He didn’t practice, play or anything. Just came out and balled.

I still believe he would’ve had a good career if he opted to move to safety
Thats it! I couldn’t remember his name

It was Hunter's 1 quality NFL game...

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I did not like him out of Clemson. Short (compared to other Dan Quinn/Kris Richard taste) with slow short shuttle and cone drill times. Had no interceptions at Clemson and 1 int at his last job in the NFL. He has 4.5 straight line speed with most experience at slot/nickel and not strong or weak side CB.

This is just a veteran body move for the slot.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
How many times have we played a team where all the corners were hurt and they brought guys up from the PS and the street and they covered our WR’s like blankets? Happens a lot
Yeah it seems that we don't have a tendency to take advantage of other team's injuries.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I know Alexander is slot primarily. Don't know that much about Sheffield

Same really. Both players are better off not playing outside. Hopefully, between Joseph and Bland, we can find someone to man the outside. I'd throw Wright in there, but he'd need to be much improved from what we saw in the preseason.

gimmesix

Reaction score
They can bring up 2 practice squad players per game without counting against the 53 man roster.

Brown will definitely go to IR. No chance of return this season.

Yeah, I think we'll use that PS call-up on Sheffield for three games before possibly adding him to the roster. That way we can keep use the roster spots on Tyron and Washington.

gimmesix

Reaction score
That seems almost definite; although, Wright will be active which takes the spot vacated by Brown.

Wright does seem like the most likely to take Joseph's gunner spot on special teams. I guess he would be the immediate backup in that case, but we might carry Sheffield, too, because we need a slot backup.

Carson

Reaction score
Yeah, I think we'll use that PS call-up on Sheffield for three games before possibly adding him to the roster. That way we can keep use the roster spots on Tyron and Washington.
I see a guy like Tolbert or Ball magically going to the short term IR.

We are at 52 of 53, Brown going to IR puts us at 51. Washington, Sheffield could be the 52/53. They will need one more spot for Tyron

gimmesix

Reaction score
I see a guy like Tolbert or Ball magically going to the short term IR.

We are at 52 of 53, Brown going to IR puts us at 51. Washington, Sheffield could be the 52/53. They will need one more spot for Tyron

Nah, we don't have to do that yet because of the PS rules. We could technically bring up Sheffield for three games and Alexander for three games before having to do anything.

If we were going to do anything, I'd waive Grier and add him back to the PS. If I understand the rules correctly, because he's been called up three times, if we wanted to add him back to the 53, we'd have to sign him instead of using a call-up.

Carson

Reaction score
Nah, we don't have to do that yet because of the PS rules. We could technically bring up Sheffield for three games and Alexander for three games before having to do anything.

If we were going to do anything, I'd waive Grier and add him back to the PS. If I understand the rules correctly, because he's been called up three times, if we wanted to add him back to the 53, we'd have to sign him instead of using a call-up.

Yeah that is correct on Grier

quickccc

Reaction score
I expected and predicted they would add a CB. But I didn't see this coming.

5' 10" out of Clemson. Vikings drafted him at #54 (7th CB drafted) in 2016.

College:
First-team All-ACC (2015)
Third-team All-American (2015)
Freshman All-American (2014)

"At the conclusion of the pre-draft process, Alexander was projected to be a late first round or second round pick by NFL draft experts and scouts. He was ranked as the third best cornerback prospect in the draft by Sports Illustrated, was ranked the third best cornerback by DraftScout.com, and was ranked the seventh best cornerback by NFL analyst Mike Mayock."

Per draft speculation at the time - Supposedly the Cowboys wanted CBs that could play the slot - ala Awuzie, Lewis and Brown .. so reportedly Cowboys
were not keen Alexander's change of direction and thought he was exclusively an outside CB (sounds like Nashon Wright?)
Maybe the thoughts, consideration and injury situation have changed the dynamics ?

DanA

Reaction score
Trash talks a lot, kinda small and slow, got stone hands but with all that negativity out of the way, he's actually a pretty good slot/nickel corner and probably comparable to Jourdan Lewis.