Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign CB Mackensie Alexander

Bigtex67

Reaction score
Now or never? He was considered a developmental guy and it's only halfway through his second year

I agree it is early for Wright as a development project. However, I think the experience will be of high value and highlight what he and the coaches need to work on in the off season.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He is. But he’s depth that we need. Bland stays in the slot and Joseph / Sheffield / Wright will play outside
Definitely gives them more depth and options. Can even consider moving Bland to the outside if one of our corners went down.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah that is where he has played. End of the day he is providing depth and capable of playing outside.
Not sure if we want him outside, but definitely a quality slot corner. Could always move Bland to the outside with this move.

Creeper

Reaction score
  • Drafted 2nd round 2016 (54th overall)
    • 5'10-3/8", 190
    • 4.49 forty
    • 37-1/2" vert
  • Career: Active for 80 games with 25 starts.
    • 5 starts
    • Averaged about as many snaps in non-starts as in starts.
    • 690 snaps played (61%) on defense

3 career INTs. 32 passes defended. Definitely backup material.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That is a fine scrap-heap signing. Alexander has a lot of playing experience, but most of it has not been good. Still, it's mid-season free agency.... you take what you can get at this point.
well not many others left 13 weeks into the NFL season , question is ,

is he better then Joseph or bland? how about Shefield??

with our Pass rush it can help when they dont have to cover long or deep often.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
I suspect his primary contribution will be on special teams, with KJ moving to a starting role.
So what you are saying is our special teams penalties will decrease………but our Passing TDS given up, Pass Interference calls and defensive holding calls will go up, sprinkled in with some decent run stops?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yeah, but with Bland playing slot, we need corners to play outside
Yep..
What concerns me the most is moving Bland out of the slot where he is settling in and playing really well.
Would rather leave it that way, and deal with the issue developing Joseph or other option outside.
Moving Bland would create two issues, even though Bland is probably the best option outside, just leave him inside is probably the best choice.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Isn't he more of a slot/nickel player?
If Bland was out, they would have moved Brown inside with Joseph outside.
- i.e. Brown wss the backup Nickel CB
- Now they need a new backup at inside CB (McKenzie).

FYI: Sheffield is taller than Brown and Joseph. He is a legit option on the outside.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3 career INTs. 32 passes defended. Definitely backup material.
In college he had a very low targets per snap played and therefore a low number of INTs and PDs.

I'll check his targets per snap in the NFL.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's a little highlight reel but it should be noted one of the plays is against Prescott.