Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign Dante Fowler

Carson

Reaction score
I guess I'm in the minority here in thinking that Fowler for one year is a MUCH better proposition than Gregory with a big contract.

Getting at least the same production and a much better shot at getting 17 games out of him.

They are actually quite similar players.

One has serious baggage.
I'm with you here. I am biased though as a UF season ticket holder.

I mean apples to apples, Gregory is better for sure. But I feel this allows us to do more and not have to worry about anything

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm with you here. I am biased though as a UF season ticket holder.

I mean apples to apples, Gregory is better for sure. But I feel this allows us to do more and not have to worry about anything
I think their skill sets are very similar. About the same.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
the best we can hope for with Fowler, is if he can be a good situational pass rusher

Brooksey

Reaction score
Last three seasons:

Dante Fowler 44 GS, 19 sacks, 26 TFL
D Lawrence 40 GS, 14 Sacks, 26 TFL

I liked Fowler coming out, he had one good year with the Rams in 2019 and hasn't done much
since...kind of like D Law, they both can do it but will they return to their old form?

Doubtful but we'll see what happens

blueblood70

Reaction score
Isn't he in the BUST category?
more career sacks then Gregory

so what's Gregory then with 14 threads on how jerry messed up not making sure he styed LOL

so Gregorys been here since 2015

85 total tackles 16.5 sacks 8 FF (hes got a knack for this )

Fowler since 2016

200 tackles 35 sacks 10FF yes MORE than randy huh

wow if Fowlers a bust one less year in the league and far better stats what was Randy for real, OVERRATED nice story underachieving suspension waiting to happen. But yea the Jones boys made mistake trying to add a much-needed clause to his contract,.

if that is not eye opening not sure what is. you call player a bust who far better player than the one cut who everyone's upset is gone for 13mil?! lmao hypocrites..fact is RG contract debacle was blessing in disguise Jerry couldn't bring back one of his pet projects and now we can replace him with Armstrong whos stats are actually nearly identical, Fowler with stats are far better and knows Quinn's system, and draft pick to be named later. All for about the price of Randy,

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FowlDa00.htm

blueblood70

Reaction score
the best we can hope for with Fowler, is if he can be a good situational pass rusher
hes better then Gregory not sure where this ridiculous statements are coming as if hes bust and not worthy some cheapo addition. much like Hooker, Kearse and other lats year he wilk be better then most think,

Proof

more career sacks then Gregory so whats Gregory then with 14 threads on how jerry messed up not making sure he stayed LOL

Fowler since 2016

wow if Fowlers a bust one less year in the league and far better stats what was Randy for real, OVERRATED nice story underachieving suspension waiting to happen. But yea the Jones boys made mistake trying to add a much-needed clause to his contract,.

if that is not eye opening not sure what is. you call player a bust who far better player than the one cut who everyone's upset is gone for 13mil?! lmao hypocrites..fact is RG contract debacle was blessing in disguise Jerry couldn't bring back one of his pet projects and now we can replace him with Armstrong whos stats are actually nearly identical, Fowler with stats are far better and knows Quinn's system, and draft pick to be named later. All for about the price of Randy,

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've still not equaled or improved on what we have lost.

We're a worse team right now than we were a week ago.

No we are not worse. At least the same if you consider cap space cleared moving forward. Is that not the most what many wanted...dump cap space.
Cooper cleared up a lot, DLaw lowered cap hit, saved by Denver from another bad contract with a marginal player. Though Armstrong was give too much IMO, but I can live with that, was not too outrageous. Kept many of our own for depth though, was that good or bad who knows, but it does not make us worse, just status quo.

Just because it doesn't go your way does not make it worse. Still a ways to go in FA as well as the draft to see how it plays how.
I am not all estatic about it, but not upset either.

cb626

Reaction score
I always thought Randy could be great, like everyone else I was frustrated by his suspension issues. Penalties... watching him line up in the neutral zone and tackle Offensive linemen was, more than frustrating. He certainly has more talent than Fowler, but since they were drafted...

Gregory 50 games played, 22 penalties for 210 yards.
Fowler 91 games played, 29 penalties for 212 yards.

Fowler has had more penalties declined(9) than than Randy(1) so maybe it isn't as good as it looks but I'll take it and hope for the best.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always thought Randy could be great, like everyone else I was frustrated by his suspension issues. Penalties... watching him line up in the neutral zone and tackle Offensive linemen was, more than frustrating. He certainly has more talent than Fowler, but since they were drafted...

Gregory 50 games played, 22 penalties for 210 yards.
Fowler 91 games played, 29 penalties for 212 yards.

Fowler has had more penalties declined(9) than than Randy(1) so maybe it isn't as good as it looks but I'll take it and hope for the best.

Almost double the games, and basically the same amount of penalties and yards. Seems Fowler is better in that area. What about other stats, sacks, pressures, tackles and tackles for losses. Those are important. And when did those penalties occur, did they allow the offense to keep the bell, and go score. especially late in the games.

I would have liked to kept Randy also, but not at that price or for 5 years. It was time to move on.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
What we do know is, Quinn is an excellent teacher of the DL, Fowler will be motivated to earn a bigger contract in the future and there are zero off the field concerns to worry about.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I flipped through this entire thread without seeing contract details.

How can anyone judge the signing other than that usually in these cases its a cheap one year thing?

If that's the case I have no real idea how anyone could think we are better off with giving a guy like Gregory that much of a guarantee than having Fowler for cheap.

If you factor in reliability, we are ahead here.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
more career sacks then Gregory

so what's Gregory then with 14 threads on how jerry messed up not making sure he styed LOL

Fowler since 2016

Gregory was a 2nd round pick though. If I’m not mistaken I think Fowler was the 3rd pick in the draft. Definitely a bust but that’s ok. There’s a good player there.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Every year you downgrade overall but you hope your 2nd and 3rd year players improve and you have a good draft.That’s the process.

That’s 100% false! There’s a lot of teams out there that are not downgrading including Cleveland.