Cowboys sign Darren McFadden - 2yr deal worth up to $5.85m (200k bonus)

erod

Reaction score
Better 'risks' than a proven failure.

7 years in the league, we know what this guy is - and what he isn't.

You can't say that about an Oakland Raider.

He's going to be a part-time RB backing up a drafted player most likely. Unless Ryan Williams emerges, which IS possible. He was impressive in preseason last year, and he has pedigree.

erod

Reaction score
Good signing.

Listen, he gives us depth. If we draft a guy like Gurley, he'll keep the seat warm until Gurley is ready. It's a cheap move. I really don't know why folks are all up in arms about this.

Dallas is not getting Gurley, people! He'll be long gone by pick 27.

joseephuss

Reaction score
There went all my optimism for this offseason. What a horrible signing. The Raiders had some of the worst running in the history of the game last season. And I don't think you can blame it on their line considering Latavius Murray looked pretty strong once they gave him the ball instead of McFadden.

Latavius Murray did not look strong once he became the primary ball carrier.

I don't think anyone with the Cowboys looks at McFadden as a true replacement for DeMarco Murray. He will be part of a running back committee that will try to replace Murray's production.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I did a quick review of him on the All-22 from 2014.

He was above average in Pass Protection.

Physically, he is not as fast as he once was, be he still looks faster than Murray.

His style is similar to Murray. No dancing around, just get up-field.

He did look a bit hesitant at times in regards to contact

I think his hesitation for contact may be related to his injury history.

ICP

Reaction score
This is a joke, and just when I was beginning to think that this team was starting to make some good decisions. Just a waste of money in my opinion.

mldardy

Reaction score
Spiller and Ridley's 'OK' are better than McFadden's, and a lot more recent. McFadden hasn't averaged over 4 yards a carry since 2011!

Not really. Ridley is coming off of an ACL/MCL and Spiller is coming off an injury as well. Neither one's 'OK' is better than McFadden McFadden was also playing for the Raiders. Again that point needs to be emphasized.

Oh, please do! I hope you can find the time while your propping up and praising everything the Cowboys do. Some fans think it's an obligation to go along with everything their favorite team does. Others think for themselves.
You can find the time to continue ripping apart everything the Cowboys do like you did all last season and time and time again you'll be proven wrong AGAIN!

It's his fault that he did nothing - in 7 years! - to help them to be any better! After all, that's why they drafted him. For the record, Spiller averages nearly 1 yard better per carry than McFadden and he's not 5 years removed from his last 1,000 yard season either.

Did nothing? Rushing for 1000 yards and two seasons of 5+ ypc is not 'did nothing'

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Better 'risks' than a proven failure.

7 years in the league, we know what this guy is - and what he isn't.

What he is, at this point, is a camp body. If he proves to be more than that, great. If not, no harm no foul, given the $200K signing bonus. C'mon Stash. You really worried that McFadden keeps us from bringing in Ridley as a camp body? Spiller's in a different class, but he would cost more, without providing much comfort that the hole at RB was adequately addressed.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
[URL=http://s1379.***BLOCKED***/user/shanemee0311/media/Mobile%20Uploads/McDal_zpsck1z2u2h.jpg.html]http://i1379.***BLOCKED***/albums/ah122/shanemee0311/Mobile%20Uploads/McDal_zpsck1z2u2h.jpg[/URL]

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't like 'the plan' so far.

Between Randle being an unreliable bonehead and Dunbar getting over $1 million to do next to nothing, I'd like to see a more solid option added than yet another guy we hope can do something.

If it was Spiller or even Ridley, I could see the upside, but McFadden has been in this league 7 years and the only thing he's proven is to be mediocre.

I don't think that's quite fair. McFadden wasn't bad his first year, and was very good in 2010 and 2011, averaging more than 5 yards per carry. He's been a hunk of junk the past three seasons, which probably is an indication that his injuries have taken their toll.

I expect nothing from him at this point in his career, but he did show ability before heading downhill permanently after his fourth season. Of course, we're paying virtually nothing to take this look, so as long as that's all it is, and not a supposed answer to losing Murray, I'm OK with that. The signing doesn't prohibit us from going after any other running back we want.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I like just bringing a vet with upside in for a few dollars just to see if anything sticks. I am sure it's not a deal that guarantees him a roster spot.

McFadden is pretty much like Murray before Murray got injured. He has talent but can't stay healthy.

What upside? He only had 500 yards last year. He's a bum.

erod

Reaction score
I think he can be. Take a look at recent draft history.

If his knee isn't responding, then maybe. But he already ran the 2nd fastest time at the combine.

I think he'll be a stud, and those guys at his size don't last. I also think other guys will be just as good or better, but it's they're just not as obvious.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Low risk signing. Who cares whether they give the money to Darren McFadden or some no name with "potential"? Same difference.