Cowboys sign Darren McFadden - 2yr deal worth up to $5.85m (200k bonus)

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Before the season last year Murray was an injured, slow, fumbling, terrible visioned project..Now he can't be replaced...good Lord..

He didn't have a fumbling problem until this year. He has had injury problems, but he always produced. The problem was that they never stuck to the run until this year.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
If he can become the guy everyone thought he'd be coming into the NFL, the Cowboys will very happy.

It's probably a stretch, however, it gives us something to wish for.

Cool.

McFadden was a 1000 yard back...... 5 years ago.

It looks like he has been averaging 3.3 yards per carry over the last 3 years.

If the sign him let's hope the OL gets him an extra 2 yards per carry and then he will be golden.

You have a slightly different tone now that he has been inked.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
That's par for the course around here.

Some think it's part of the job description as a fan.

Well, it is fake fan! Isn't there an Eagles board you can go to, troll? Go Cowboys!

Am I doing that right?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He might not be 20 million better...but he is a heck of a lot better than mcfadden and the stats prove that even with Murray's injury history.

However my objection has nothing to do with Murray. It has to deal with signing a RB that has been nothing but injury and when healthy has not been a factor in the pros and has been around the league long enough to have proven or not proven his worth.

I understand he is cheap, I understand he might not be on the roster come opening day, I understand if he is on the roster on starting day chances are he is a platoon back.

I just think it is a bad signing and a waste of time.

Somebody gets it................I cant believe some posters are actually trying to pimp McFadden in this thread.

The dude is softer than Charmin and in 7 years in the league he has broken 1000 yards exactly 1 time..............LOL

And he was benched in week 11 last year for Latavious Murray because the even the Raiders got tired of watching him suck.

Brainpaint is 100% right............it doesn't matter if you are paying him peanuts, this is a bad signing for a bad player.

perrykemp

Reaction score
You have a slightly different tone now that he has been inked.

CyberB0b:

Anything possible. Oakland is the Siberia of the NFL, so it's <possible> he shows something that he hasn't the past 2-3 years. Let's hope.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I am disappointed that Darren McFadden was their backup plan.

Murrays contract is going to hurt the Eagles in the long run. Declining to match that , i think, was the right decision. But, their backup plan was McFadden? They have had awhile to game plan this out and do their due diligence.

And this is all they came up with? really? McFadden, and an unproven rookie from the draft?

No. I am not thrilled. How it effects us this year , well we will have to wait for that. But, all I read and I hear is, "behind this OLINE so and so could do this or that". And, I think we are giving the OLINE much to much credit. Yes, they are good. But not just anyone can run the football effectively.

And we are not NE. They have a more dynamic defense and team.....

i am fully onboard with what you say.
As for NE i dont know how dynamic their team is, but boy howdy, i would like to know how they can reload year after year. I know we cant. On defense the best we can do is get journeymen.

Yeah, McFadden is a brain teaser. And I fear Murray running against our por . . . pour . . . our defense like a sieve when he play us twice next year. He will half revenge on his mind and i pity our defense.

God job on the response. I am gonna keep mein eye (the good one) on yew.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I know McFadden has had a poor career in Oakland, but just reminded myself of his start.

At his size, he ran a legit, official 4.33 40 at the combine, and several coaches had him at the 4.27 unofficially.
He ranks 2nd all time among SEC RBs behind only Hershall Walker.
His ROOKIE contract back in 2008 was for 60,000,000 dollars with 26 million guaranteed.
He is also very good in the passing game as a receiver and as a blocker, so maybe he is a poor man's CJ Spiller, an upgrade at 3rd down back while we run a rookie back and let him develop in pass protection.

The odds are against him, but he came to the NFL with tons of ability and only .06 behind Chris Johnson's 40 time...pretty freakin amazing for 6'1" and 215 lbs.

Last edited:

btcutter

Reaction score
Somebody gets it................I cant believe some posters are actually trying to pimp McFadden in this thread.

The dude is softer than Charmin and in 7 years in the league he has broken 1000 yards exactly 1 time..............LOL

And he was benched in week 11 last year for Latavious Murray because the even the Raiders got tired of watching him suck.

Brainpaint is 100% right............it doesn't matter if you are paying him peanuts, this is a bad signing for a bad player.

JJ gave him $200k to see if he can show something in training camp. If not then bye bye....no harm done. It's JJ's money. What do we care? $200K can't buy anything in FA. He gave > $200 K to our back up RB than McFadden.

This move have all upside and zero down side..

Is McFadden the solution? Probably not. The solution probably is combination of the RB's signed and a player from the draft. In fact, that's probably the plan all along. They were just as surprised that McFadden would signs such a incentive laden contract. They would love it if all players would sign contracts based on performance. Murray for sure didn't want to do that. I am sure JJ and FO would love to give Murray an incentive based contract wit up to $8 million with very little guarantee money.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I know McFadden has had a poor career in Oakland, but just reminded myself of his start.

At his size, he ran a legit, official 4.33 40 at the combine, and several coaches had him at the 4.27 unofficially.
He ranks 2nd all time among SEC RBs behind only Hershall Walker.
His ROOKIE contract back in 2008 was for 60,000,000 dollars with 26 million guaranteed.

The odds are against him, but he came to the NFL with tons of ability and only .06 behind Chris Johnson's 40 time...pretty freakin amazing for 6'1" and 215 lbs.

I'm sorry, but RBs don't get better with age. None of that translated into success with OAK, no reason to think it will here 7 years later.

Alexander

Reaction score
I think Gurley is the target. DMC is the backup plan like Jerry does with the QB position . Good backuPs.

If Gurley is the target, McFadden will probably start a handful of games. That is not exactly a real backup. That is a placeholder.

Alexander

Reaction score
Randle or RWilliams could handle that. Why sign this never was???

Good question.

The Cowboys signed McFadden because they coveted him before and feel he is better than anyone on their roster.