Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign DL Christian Covington

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Wondering if Richard had more to do with it than Marinelli. After the rams game he may have decided to add some beef on the inside. He is barely over 300 pounds anyways. Not a huge monster.

There's plenty of time for him to become what Richard needs him to be. so I'm not too worried about that, he looks like he could handle that role of being in the interior.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
The more I think it over the more convinced I am that Covington is going to be a really good pickup.

3-4DE moving inside to 4-3DT, especially after displaying position flex across the DL, is about as high a percentage of scheme conversion you can ask for.

I'm not saying he's the next Aaron Donald but I think our DL has a much higher floor with Covington in the rotation instead of someone like Ross.

Covington, Collins, Crawford, and Woods (and maybe even a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick) all rotating at DT doesn't sound like a bunch of world beaters but it's a dirt cheap DT group with a higher floor and ceiling than we've had in years.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
It's a year from now, but next off-season will be challenging in regards to defensive line.

Potential unrestricted free agents include Tank Lawrence, Randy Gregory, Maliek Collins, Antwaun Woods, and the newly signed Christian Covington. Daniel Ross will be a restricted free agent. Tyrone Crawford will be 30 and have a $9.1M cap hit (we save $8M if he's released).

After seeing this, I think we draft at least 2 defensive linemen.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I had hoped Thornton would be one of those Hatcher kind of things where movingto the interior would serve him, and the team, well. Unfortunately that was a failure.

The whole Thornton debacle couldn't have gone better for them.

They spent "resources" on a non-pass rusher and the player flopped. That lines up exactly with what they want.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I feel as if we're rotating two backup types.

You might underestimating Covington and Woods. While neither is a likely All-Pro, together they could make a very good tandem. Being able to rotate them will make both better players. Plus, both will have something to prove this year before being FAs next year.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I actually LOL'ed at this!

It is funny, except I'm old enough to remember people scoffed in the 1990's when the Cowboys signed Jay Novacek, James Washinton, and Tony Casillas, too.

You just never know how some of these guys will work out. Antwuan Woods is the best recent example.