Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign DT Gerald McCoy

tm1119

Reaction score
Are you seriously trying to say that McCoy isn't an improvement over Maliek Collins? Seriously?
:huh:

Seriously...

He’s an upgrade in run defense sure, but pass rush no. Stop looking at his madden rating from 5 years ago.

I’m not saying it’s a bad signing at all, but the team still hasn’t gotten better in any significant way yet

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the man's character and work ethic are through the roof. If we were going to 'take a chance' on an older player, there are few, if any, safer bets than McCoy.
I’ve read that too, and I imagine that played a part in the Cowboys being willing to give him a 3 year deal. I’m excited to see how he can help the team.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seriously...

He’s an upgrade in run defense sure, but pass rush no. Stop looking at his madden rating from 5 years ago.

I’m not saying it’s a bad signing at all, but the team still hasn’t gotten better in any significant way yet

You just said yourself that he's an upgrade in run defense, right? That's "significantly better" right there. And if he had more sacks, he's also better in pass rush.

You've admitted it yourself.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seriously...

What the raw stats may not show is how often McCoy draws double teams that help free up other pass rushers. He’s a player teams worry about when they game plan. Collins wasn’t.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ve read that too, and I imagine that played a part in the Cowboys being willing to give him a 3 year deal. I’m excited to see how he can help the team.

Same here.

Now I'm curious to see what that contract looks like. But I think we've acquired a strong leader and a great example for younger players to follow. And McCoy is much better against the run and double teams than Collins ever was. Collins was actually a huge liability in that area.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What the raw stats may not show is how often McCoy draws double teams that help free up other pass rushers. He’s a player teams worry about when they game plan. Collins wasn’t.

Yep.

And Collins was routinely crushed and washed out against double teams. He could never hold up against them and was in fact a liability in those circumstances.

Western

Reaction score
Tomsula approves of this free agent signing:

giphy.gif

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Keep the wheels on his walker oiled.

Seriously, I like McCoy. He's a solid DT even if he ain't what he once was. He's better than Collins and will be a good mentor for Hill.

tm1119

Reaction score

Yes, you’re right. Teams focused on Auntaun Woods more than Dontari Poe. Absolutely no clue what you’re talking about.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
McCoy- Hurry= 10, QB Kockdown= 6, Sack= 5.0, Pressure= 22

Collins- Hurry= 12, QB Knockdown= 5, Sack= 4, Pressure = 21

Doesn’t really seem like a CLEAR upgrade in pass rush to me. But let’s not let facts get in the way...

Oh and McCoy played with Dontari Poe and Kawaan Short. Collins played with Woods and Christian Covington

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/pa...rald-mccoy-underrated-pro-football-focus/amp/