Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign G Xavier Su'a-Filo

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Game one in his first season and hes a bust? Wow.

I agree. I hate to see fans get down on young players, before they have really had opportunity to develop. Nobody likes to get booed, so to speak. I think the kid will be OK with some time but either way, way too early to make any kind of decision on him. Hell, he's a much better LT then he is a Guard, at this point. At the very least, he could be a swing for us possibly.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I agree. I hate to see fans get down on young players, before they have really had opportunity to develop. Nobody likes to get booed, so to speak. I think the kid will be OK with some time but either way, way too early to make any kind of decision on him. Hell, he's a much better LT then he is a Guard, at this point. At the very least, he could be a swing for us possibly.

Lol, it takes an adjustment from college talent for a young lineman to learn how to handle a run away garbage truck.

coogrfan

Reaction score
https://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2018/3/27/17169922/titans-sign-former-texans-guard-xavier-sua-fila
His time in Houston was a disappointment though. He struggled with injuries during his first two years, and when he was on the field, he wasn’t very good. In 2016 and 2017 his ability to stay healthy improved, but his play did not. His PFF grades in his four year career are 43.4, 42.8, 44.9, and 35.8. That 35.8 grade was better than just two qualifying guards in 2017 — Ethan Pocic and Jeremy Vujnovich. Not great.

Su’a-Filo has 41 starts over his first four years in the league, so he’s about as experienced as a 27 year old lineman can get. While his PFF grades certainly don’t reflect it he was regarded as a pretty solid run blocker during his time in Houston. His struggles primarily came in pass protection where he too often lunged at his opponent, getting off balance and giving up an easy pressure.

Exactly. Dude is a turnstile in pass pro.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Exactly. Dude is a turnstile in pass pro.
Memories

C6sM0xfW0AAChvy.jpg

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Lol, it takes an adjustment from college talent for a young lineman to learn how to handle a run away garbage truck.

That's true. I could not agree more and the analogy is pretty good too CC.

Last edited:

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I’ll take this fatty up front. Just the mold I’m looking for,and hoping he’s got a nasty attitude and can handle the job.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
This dude is flat out horrible, the Texans couldn't wait to get rid of him.

There was a reason he was at home watching the games from his couch week 1.

I would rather just roll with Williams, at least he will get better with more reps. This dude flat out sucks and no amount of reps is going to change that.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
This dude is flat out horrible, the Texans couldn't wait to get rid of him.

There was a reason he was at home watching the games from his couch week 1.

I would rather just roll with Williams, at least he will get better with more reps. This dude flat out sucks and no amount of reps is going to change that.
Well I don’t know this guy,but if he’s a bad as you say...I’m sure Dallas is thinking they can work him into a good player for depth. They did sign him to a 2yr deal.

irving

Reaction score
It's not the QB, it's the HC and OC. Without Dak we would have got shut out. He was the reason we got 8 points and pushed his way into the endzone for the 2 point conversion. How did he score? When coaches finally went up tempo and had the Panthers defense on the ropes. Why wait until the 4th quarter. After the first couple of drives our coaches should have done something different but didn't. They ran the same thing over and over. Knowing the OL isn't full strength but kept the same game plan. That's the issue, they try to fit players into the scheme no matter who is playing or missing. Instead of making the scheme fit the players. You see Dak playing well on the move, then that's what they need to do. Play to our strengths and change things up based on opponents and their weaknesses
You are completely right, Dak is a 4th round draft pick that was not a first round pick for a reason. That being said the coaching staff appears to be incompetent, because once teams started take Zeke away, they(the staff) continued to try and play the same way. Dak never was a pocket passer, he needs clear throwing lanes like all quarterbacks, but for him to achieve that he often has to roll out, or utilize some type of movement. The offensive line has also regressed a great deal, that just cannot be over looked. When running backs can't find holes, because there are none and offensive guards are being shoved into the backfield, any play you call looks bad. Rest assured there are many fans who want to get rid of the quarterback and that might just happen. But just know if they keep the same head coach nothing will change, elite quarterback or not.

irving

Reaction score
What's bad is that the coaching staff didn't know that Williams wasn't ready. What? How could you not know that?
I have second you on that, it appears the coaches didn't know he wasn't ready, what league did they think the Cowboys play in? DT's will be lining up to go against Williams, we all know once teams identify a weakness they will exploit it until it's fixed.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You are completely right, Dak is a 4th round draft pick that was not a first round pick for a reason. That being said the coaching staff appears to be incompetent, because once teams started take Zeke away, they(the staff) continued to try and play the same way. Dak never was a pocket passer, he needs clear throwing lanes like all quarterbacks, but for him to achieve that he often has to roll out, or utilize some type of movement. The offensive line has also regressed a great deal, that just cannot be over looked. When running backs can't find holes, because there are none and offensive guards are being shoved into the backfield, any play you call looks bad. Rest assured there are many fans who want to get rid of the quarterback and that might just happen. But just know if they keep the same head coach nothing will change, elite quarterback or not.
Correct. Like I said before if you switched Dak and Brady but kept the coaching staff I bet anything Garrett would have people calling Brady a bum and Belichek would have Dak playing like a top 10 QB maybe higher. Sure you need talent but at the same time without coaching it doesn't matter. Garrett would have the all-pro team losing if he was coaching them.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
XSF has similar issues to Connor Williams. Both are mobile undersized but athletic players who play better in stretch or zone blocking schemes. They both suck at power or gap blocking. Cowboys used to play a hybrid scheme implemented by Callahan but emphasized a lot more zone blocking.

I think the scheme is shifting to emphasizing more power, which is what Cowboys ran in 90's but not best suited to current OL which is made up of leaner athletes.